Service plan

Jonhern

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Rhode Island
I am a little confused from reading around on here, so if I have the service plan and I buy a receiver and it breaks down, does the service plan cover the owned equipment or would I have to buy a new one if it is out of warranty. I am thinking of buying a used 722. I remember a tech telling me the receivers had lifetime warranties but not sure if he was only referring to leased ones.

If you own the receiver and it goes bad you are S.O.L. The Service Plan is just going to cover the service call for $15.

The service plan covers any and ALL dish equipment on your account, owned or leased.

The service plan covers any and ALL dish equipment on your account, owned or leased.

so if the hard drive goes bad on the 722 will they replace it? does it then become a leased receiver? If not i think it would be better to get a 222 so i can hook it up to the fifth tv since it has less moving parts that can break down. it would only be a $3 increase per month, but 722 would not change the receiver fees i currently pay since i will replace one of the 612s.

The service plan will cover an owned receiver. I can attest to that from personal experience.

The last time I needed my owned 622 replaced, the rep. signed me up for the DHPP then replaced it for free. I then cancelled the DHPP after only paying 1 month.

The service plan will cover an owned receiver. I can attest to that from personal experience.

The last time I needed my owned 622 replaced, the rep. signed me up for the DHPP then replaced it for free. I then cancelled the DHPP after only paying 1 month.

does it stay an owned receiver?

As of Feb.1 "Service Plan" replaced DHPP as an option you can choose. Rules are slightly different but your owned receivers are still covered.

It does not matter whether you own or lease the receiver. You either have to get DHPP (and pay the $25 cancellation fee) or pay for a repair if the receiver breaks down on you. It is another $15 to get a technician to come out.

It does not matter whether you own or lease the receiver. You either have to get DHPP (and pay the $25 cancellation fee) or pay for a repair if the receiver breaks down on you. It is another $15 to get a technician to come out.

The $25 cancellation fee is applied if you don't keep the service plan active for 30 days. Otherwise there is no cancellation fee. If your receiver dies you can add the service plan and 31 days later discontinue it. They will send a replacement receiver at no cost. Total cost $6.00. If you require a technician it is $15 for them to come out, therefore $21 total.

Mitch

The Service Plan has saved me a ton on their junky remotes. The CSR's even told me what to look for in a failing remote so I could order a new before the old one dies. Have gotten many for free because their remotes die, often. Even got two 21.0's as 6.3 replacements that turned out to be just as bad. But it also made the service fee $29, of which they often waived. The $15 is reasonable.

But you need to make sure that it is clearly stated in your account records what devices you own. And you will need to check that they are still listed every so often. Had all mine clearly on my records and then when I upgraded to a 722 they took my 625 that I had the week before checked to make sure was listed as mine, and it was. But when they took mine the CEO Office CRS said there was nothing on my account listed that I owned anything and since they were upgrading me to a 722, of which I paid the fee for so it wasn't free or anything, they would naturally take the previous receiver. I have many receivers that were listed and were missing the day the work order was created, so I was told, so the tech took my 625 and could not return it. After a screaming match with the CEO CSR, he gave his number to call him back, I accused them of outright theft and that I would pursue it as such. He started stuttering and then offered me a $300 credit.

So just make sure you have your gear clearly listed on your account and make them give you proof. Or so I was told for the future.