SES-1 Launch Successful

Status
Please reply by conversation.
its replacing the two sats there already. Both are having issues

so the existing channels will move to the new sat

After SES-1 replaces AMC 2 and AMC 4, SES World Skies plans on moving AMC 2 to 79° West where it will replace AMC 5 and Satcom C3 and plans on moving AMC 4 to 67° West where it will operate in the ku band only.

67? Wow, a new slot! I wonder what they'll put on it?

I wonder what kind of new channels, it will be on? Hoping for more sports and news feeds and any new superstations.:hungry:

Any oversea English stations, is a bonus for us here in the USA if this ever happen.

Kind of like Amazonas 2. Ku coverage over the US, but so far no new signals.

probably nothing...maybe a few news feeds but I have a feeling it will just "be there" in orbit ;)

I was thinking the same thing Iceberg, probably a backup for ??? And what could it possibly mean? I wonder if they are experiencing or anticipating more damaged satellites and/or failure? If sun flares damaged a couple of US satellites already, I wonder just how much effect the flares might have had on others. Damages don't always show up immediately so who knows what we can expect in the near future, damaging sun flares can occur anytime and it's not the last either. Satellites have no atmosphere to protect them so they are quite vulnerable. I'm just speculating mind you. :confused:

same sat slot (101W)

They're not moving....this satellite is just replacing AMC2/4. Normally channels move over from the old sat to the new one :)

same sat slot (101W)

They're not moving....this satellite is just replacing AMC2/4. Normally channels move over from the old sat to the new one :)

and transparently since the transponders match up perfectly. ku-band might be a little stronger since the tr output is a little stronger. c-band transponder output is about the same so you may not notice much signal strength increase.

actually SES1 has a little better US?Canada/Carribean coverage. Its when you get farther south (Mexico/Central America) that the footprint isnt as good. Thats why the Adventist 101 channels moved to 97W

i hope they fix rtpi Portuguese channel,its all over the map.
i get 63% to 91% on coolsat 5000 depending on the time of day

Will the Ku band on SES-1 cover the Carribean??? I thought they wil not!

From what I've read it will be confined to more of North America (US/Canada). I know Mexico/Central America the footprint isnt going to be as good. Puerto Rico/USVI should be OK

The latest TLE's show that SES-1 should be arriving at 101° West soon. Anyone know when the switchover is planned?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts