Set-up frustration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvwatcher100

Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I was recently given a 7' mesh dish so I thought I would give this a try. My goal was to get g25 or other true fta birds. I am using a viewsat xtreme for a receiver and the lnb I installed on the dish is a brand new bsc 621-2 for ku or c-band. I was successful in getting galaxy 11c and galaxy 3c but not g25. I have no problem getting signal (80 or better), it is the quality I am not having any luck with. It seems to spike up and down like crazy no matter how I tweak the dish or LNB. Could anyone shed a little wisdom on proper settings or what my be causing this issue. I know aiming would be the first concern but I think I have that down. Also, I have read some stuff about mesh size(needs to be small), this dish has a very fine mesh about 1/8 inch. In spite of this I seem to get little or no signal on ku. The lnb has switching for c or ku on port 1 or port 2 and I have that set correctly so I think I can eliminate that as a possibility. Anyway, thaks in advance for any help and if I am posting in the wrong place could someone steer me in the proper direction.

ok this is the universal so you have the lo's set up correctly

did you get both c & ku on gal 3c & gal 11 ? its usually easier to find c band and then fine tune to ku. with a big dish and this lnbf its best to start at your true south satellite ( cause this is where the skew is set close to zero)

and welcome to the group :)

I think I am only getting good c signal, when I switch to port 2 I get zilch. I have spent hours playing with the focus, aim, etc and get very sporadic quality. The signal on c-band is in the 80's however. With the viewsat receiver, it seems to change the settings when satellites are selected....are these correct or do I need to enter in something else? Thanks much p.s. do we leave approval points or anything on this site?

I think I am only getting good c signal, when I switch to port 2 I get zilch. I have spent hours playing with the focus, aim, etc and get very sporadic quality. The signal on c-band is in the 80's however. With the viewsat receiver, it seems to change the settings when satellites are selected....are these correct or do I need to enter in something else? Thanks much p.s. do we leave approval points or anything on this site?

tvwatcher, try shutting your viewsat off with the switch in the back and hooking your KU lnb directly into the back of your receiver. I'm assuming you're using a diseqc or 22khz switch. I sometimes have trouble getting KU signal when my C lnb is plugged in. Seems like the C band overpowers the KU. I guess it's the port on the diseqc not blocking the off port. For Ku also you need to change the LO freq. to 10750. I went through these same things and got help from the fine people here.

ok here's the deal when you get these boxes , most are set up for KU , some are setup for both but ..... you have to manually switch your settings to get between both...... thats why most of us learn to use a channel editor and double up our satellites so we don't have to change the settings everytime.

so you will manually go into set up to change the LO from the c-band one to the universal setting 9750 & 10600 and change the diesqc port from #1 (A) to #2 (B) for ku

p.s. do we leave approval points or anything on this site?
no points needed :) we help each other :)

Thanks for the responses! I have literally been fooling with this thing all day and at this point I am wondering, does anybody know the scrap value of it? LOL . I tried disconnecting the jumper and hooked up directly to the ku fitting of the lnb...same thing...very sporadic signal quality. One strange thing I have noticed, my signal seems to stay very high regardless of where I aim the dish...is this normal? I just cant get any reading on the quality side...it jumps up and down. I am pretty sure I have the settings correct (c-band on diseqc 1 and ku on 2) I should repeat that it is just the ku I am mainly having the problem with, except on g25 I cant get either. I also should mention that my viewsat only has setting for universal( not 1 or 2). I have tried it at 10600 and at 10750 does not seem to make any difference. Thanks again in advance!

Thanks for the responses! I have literally been fooling with this thing all day and at this point I am wondering, does anybody know the scrap value of it? LOL . I tried disconnecting the jumper and hooked up directly to the ku fitting of the lnb...same thing...very sporadic signal quality. One strange thing I have noticed, my signal seems to stay very high regardless of where I aim the dish...is this normal? I just cant get any reading on the quality side...it jumps up and down. I am pretty sure I have the settings correct (c-band on diseqc 1 and ku on 2) I should repeat that it is just the ku I am mainly having the problem with, except on g25 I cant get either. I also should mention that my viewsat only has setting for universal( not 1 or 2). I have tried it at 10600 and at 10750 does not seem to make any difference. Thanks again in advance!

Yeah, signal level just tells you the lnb is powered up and the receiver is getting signal from it. With the jumpy quality I think the dish needs a little tweak of it's aiming. I assume the wind isn't blowing 50 miles an hour while you are doing this right?:D

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. No, it was very calm here today and I was getting the jumping with my hands off the dish...no dish movement at all. I read on one of the threads here that g25 is hard to hit..true or false? I also want to mention about the condition of the dish. It is made of pretty frail expanded aluminum and does have some imperfections in it. You have to really look close to see them. Could this be an issue? I am a little confused on the settings still. When I select a satellite, my receivery seems to change settings automatically. Are these bogus? What are the correct ones to aim for g25? Thanks again

I don't have any problems with Galaxy 25 but, I'm in Illinois. I'm not sure if Florida would be a problem or not. As long as the dish isn't warped, small perfections should be ok. Mine isn't perfect either as it's probably 10 yrs old or more. Can you be more specific about which settings you speak of?

I think I have the correct lnb type (universal), it is the only universal choice I have. I am not sure of the high and low settings and what they mean. Here are the specs of the Ku side of the lnb:

Input 10.7-12.75ghz
Output 950-1950 mhz low band
1100-2150 mhz high band

LO 9.75 ghz low band
10.6 ghz high band

How do you determine the settings from these figures?

Thanks again

Does the high setting make a difference? I also read on sadoun forum that this lnb needs to be oriented with the flat side at 4 o'clock when the dish is pointed at my south bird, Is that good info? I thought it had to be turned to get the best signal. Thanks for the help

yes i get my best placement when "and i think" some have a little triangle and others have a number scale( if its this scale align zero at TS sat). I get my best reading when this is pointed at 6 on the clock while pointed at your TS satellite ( now yours may vary slightly between 8- 4 )

I dont have that LNB so maybe someone else can give you the info on that. I would set the LO freq to 10750 aim at a ku satellite (G10R at 123* west would be a good one) and do a blind scan. You can then do the same with G25. G10R has alot of KU signals and usually is pretty easy to tune in

ok here are the two versions i have ( both are bsc621) one is a scale and other is a triangle. both of mine are set with the marks at 6 o clock

you might have a slight adjustment from that ( to gain your best signal)

Attachments

• DSCF3349.JPG
    DSCF3349.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF3350.JPG
    DSCF3350.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF3351.JPG
    DSCF3351.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 129
I have been at it since 7:30 am and still no luck (on g25 anyway). I did manage to get 93 and 79 with very low signal however. I have read that some mesh dishes pass to much signal for ku...could this be possible? (mine is 7' with 1/8 inch mesh). I have adjusted the lnb every way you could imagine while locked on to 93 to get the best possible signal but when I motor over to find g25 I just cant get anything. Does anyone know a good installer in the central FL area? I am ready to spend a little money at this point to avoid high blood pressure. Thanks for listening to me vent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts