Setanta, Channel 406

KoreAmBear

Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I've started to get this channel on my America's 200 on channel 406 (I think it might be free preview week). This is also on the free preview channel, on one of the 280s. But I was getting a little excited b/c even with the free preview on the 280s, usually if I can't normally get the channel, 406 would be locked. But 406 is not locked. I doubt that this will continue to be provided on America's 200, but can someone let me know if I can get my hopes up?

I believe Setanta is $14.99/mo Ala Carte, and not in ANY ATxxx package.

(I believe the Free Preview runs till early September, IIRC).

Thanks!

I believe Setanta is $14.99/mo Ala Carte, and not in ANY ATxxx package.

(I believe the Free Preview runs till early September, IIRC).

Well, I am going to get my EPL fix for at least a few weeks. Then maybe I will pony up to get the AT 250, for Fox Soccer Channel. Man, Setanta is soooo much better, but at $14.95, it's not worth it to me. At least by upgrading $10 to get the AT 250, I will get ESPNU and also some second tier movie channels along with it.

How soon we forget...

In recent times, each EPL game each weekend cost $14.95!

Now there is a channel that provides multiple EPL games live, plus the Championship, plus French footie, Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, GAA... etc etc

$14.95/month vs $14.95 for one game... No brainer.

I have been a Setanta sub since last year on D*, worth every penny.

Well....with the NFL starting up, I might not have much time for EPL, but I will say this....

If Setenta comes up with an HD version, I'm sold!!!

Yeah, I'm enjoying it too, but $14.95 is alot for 1 channel.
Seems to be quite normal to charge pretty high rates for specialty channels/packages, especially for international stuff. Have you seen what they charge for cricket matches ?? I recall something in the $100+ range.

Time was...

Dish Cricket used to cost $50/month. Now all cricket is a la carte at around $3/day - so the subscriptions appear to be high (this summer from the UK cost $150 for 47 days). But remember each day of a match lasts 7 hours... lots of expensive uplink time.

However if you are an India fan they try to soak you for $5+ per day!

I'm sorry, but as much as I love EPL, this is extortion. It should be a regular top 200 channel. I hope they get so few subscribers that they will be forced to just add it to the 200 package.

I'm sorry, but as much as I love EPL, this is extortion. It should be a regular top 200 channel. I hope they get so few subscribers that they will be forced to just add it to the 200 package.

Regardless of how you feel about it, that is the price Dish Network must charge per Setanta's contract with DirecTV. That is the reason why Setanta is $15 per month on Dish, DirecTV and ITVN.

Setanta cannot charge a price undercutting what DirecTV is charging per their contract with DirecTV. I know this from sources high up in Setanta's North American operations group. How long their contract with DirecTV is for, I don't know. I would assume that when the contract expires they will try to get onto an AT-Tier on Dish and whatever the equivalent tier is on DirecTV to get more eyes on their channel.

But until then, that's the rules and if you really want your football, rugby and Aussie Rules like I do, you either pay the price asked (which I am) or live without it.

I am really getting into football now. I liked the free preview that they had, but it seems like come Saturday morning, I get to see most of the Premier League games on FSC.

I am really getting into football now. I liked the free preview that they had, but it seems like come Saturday morning, I get to see most of the Premier League games on FSC.
FSC has half of the matches, Setanta has the other half.

However, currently Setanta is showing the Rugby World Cup, so they can't fit quite a many Premier League matches, and this is allowing FSC to temporarily get most of the better matches.

That situation should end by Oct. 1st, when the Rugby World Cup narrows down to eight teams (quarter finals).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)