Setting HD TV for Best SD picture.

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
I have a new HDTV and the HD picture is great,but there are some channels I get that are only in SD,although watchable can they be any clearer.Anyway of setting to to automatically adjust to the best format when you switch from HD to SD or Vice Versa.Any sugestions ?

Try this, set HDTV settings to 4:3 #1, HD will show "Normal for format setting, Sd you set to "Stretch". This is what I did in order to get rid of overscan when I had HDTV setting at 16:9. This might not work for you because it depends on how your tv scales to signal sent to it.
Dan

Garbage in, garbage out. There really isn't much you can do to make SD look better on an HDTV, other than getting an external scaler and seeing if that makes it look better. Pretty expensive though for marginal improvement.

The performance variation of HDTVs when showing SD content is significant. That's probably why Consumer Reports rates all their rated HDTVs for HD, DVD, and SD separately. It's best to buy one that is tops in all 3 categories. I did that with a new bedroom HDTV last XMas and have been very pleased with watching SD content on that set.

OTOH, my 5 year old DLP, while still an excellent 720p HDTV, is only fair for SD content and I spent money, time, and effort the first couple of years to get it as good as it is. Dish receivers are also a factor, but the ViP211 and 222 seem to be about as good as it gets for SD content from Dish. The old Dish 811, not so much.

While Dish is guilty of a lot of compression on its SD channels, as another poster said, it really is up to how well your TV handles any SD input. As an example: Sharp handles SD HORRIBLY! Sony does a surprising job of making crap Dish SD look pretty darn good. My aunt (who has a Sony Bravia) has a hard time seeing the difference between her Dish SD and HD. I know, for us the difference is quite clear, but to her untrained eye, Sony does such a good job with SD, she really thinks the HD doesn't look much better. The difference is night and day to me.

Best of both

So "move" to an area where you can get the big 4 nets in HD and then pick up you locals OTA. If dish carries the locals in SD then you will get the guide info and the best of both worlds. The news & weather from you locals OTA and shows in HD from you "new" home.

So "move" to an area where you can get the big 4 nets in HD and then pick up you locals OTA. If dish carries the locals in SD then you will get the guide info and the best of both worlds. The news & weather from you locals OTA and shows in HD from you "new" home.

Thats what I did Years ago. Got ota for my city that I live in and HD for the networks from Houston. Works great. Now when I get the new 722k next month , I will be able to use ota for two hd networks and my Houston hd locals for 2 networks and record all 4 at the same time. No more conflicts on Mondays or Thursdays.

Most people dont have the moving option !

So Move to another area,how many people have the ability or desire to move just because you cant get HD channels.The closest market for local HD is either San Francisco(300 miles north) or Los Angeles (150 miles South)niether city is an option.Unfortunately its not a "One size Fits all" solution. other than just to wait until or put up an HD antenae(no way landlord would allow that ,and no way of telling if it would work in my area anyway(too far from stations)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts