Setting up a mobile satellite dish for the first time

Volengr44

Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
I recently purchased a satellite dish, it is a DISH 500, 50' of coax cable and a tripod to use when we are at the race track. My receiver is a model D07/D08. I cannot get a signal, regardless of where I sit it or how I angle it. I have one RG coax cable connected to the 119 side on the dish. My receiver has splitter going to TV1 and TV2 where it says dp+. That splitter and another cable that is connected to an input that says channel 21 -69 out go into a splitter that has the one coax cable from the satellite. No amount of adjusting gets me a signal strength. I don't know what else to do. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Ok, then it sounds like you have a triplexer attached to the back of the 322.

Have you run a check switch on the receiver so it can correctly catalog the lnb's it "sees"?

Lets go back to how the coax cable from the dish is entering the RV. How is the coax entry plate marked? Is it marked Cable or Satellite?

it is a toy hauler, not an RV and it doesn't have a connector. I have the cable running directly from dish to receiver.

Which track are you at? If you are at Bristol in August I could help you for a small fee & show you the basics as far as finding los & tuning without a meter.

I have a "satellite finder", but even that didn't help. It pegged out, telling us we had a signal, but the tv continues to show no signal. Won,t be in Bristol in August. Thanks for offer though.

I recently purchased a satellite dish, it is a DISH 500, 50' of coax cable and a tripod to use when we are at the race track. My receiver is a model D07/D08. I cannot get a signal, regardless of where I sit it or how I angle it. I have one RG coax cable connected to the 119 side on the dish. My receiver has splitter going to TV1 and TV2 where it says dp+. That splitter and another cable that is connected to an input that says channel 21 -69 out go into a splitter that has the one coax cable from the satellite. No amount of adjusting gets me a signal strength. I don't know what else to do. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Your best bet is to hook that receiver to a known working dish of the same type. Run a check switch & then take it remotely and try tuning it again. That type of receiver will not read any signal without having any satellites in the installation summary.

Ok next question. Is the lnb on your camping dish the exact same kind as the 1 at house?
You mentioned you had 1 wire hooked to the 119 side of the lnb. Is there 2 places on the 119 side to hook to or just 1?

I have no clue about the configuration at home. Never had to look at it until now. However, as you alluded to, the 119 side has 2 places. I feel like that has something to do with the problem, but I don't know what to connect there. I thought about buying another 50' coax for the second connector, but the I don't know what to hook that to since the splitter hoing yo the box has room for only one input.

The 2nd port on the 119 side is for an additional receiver, don't waste your money on another coax. You have the right setup for that receiver.
Have you ran a switch test since trying to find a signal? You are better off not to when bringing it from a known working location as long as it's the same setup from where your bringing it from. In the installation summary screen it will show you reception verified if it was on a working system. If input 1 or 2 has xxxxx across both it is very difficult to tune a dish using the method your trying even if your right on top of the signal it will not read or show any strength. However if input 1 & 2 shows "ok" with the 2 satellites your trying to aim at you can then go to the point dish screen & select either 119 or 110 and tune your dish and find signal pretty easy. All of what I said is based on the house system & camping system having the same setup. Hope this helps, good luck.

Hmmmm.... I might be smoked then. I originally did not accept when I ran the switch test, but after doing tsome research, I went ahead and saved it. since the original, home set up was another state and we are at Bristol now I was worried that might be part of the problem so I saved after the test

If your in Bristol now I can take time tomorrow morning and come by with my super buddy & fix you up, that is if your going to be around for a few more days. If interested shoot me a pm and I will give you my #. I'm only about 40 minutes from the track, will not come out anymore this evening though.

I know that any time I move my 211k to a new dish or house, I have to run a check switch with - OUT the sat coax hooked up to clear the matrix. It will count down to 38 or 50 switch checks depending on what kind of dish you are using and whether it is dish pro or dish pro plus. AFter it completes , save it and then do a power button reboot. Then re-attach the sat coax and run a check switch again and it should lock in on the right matrix if you have the dish aligned and peaked right for the satellites.

Connect DVD player to 311 to new TV

Timer conflicts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)