Setting up a nice speaker system

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I am going to ask some dumb questions, but please bear with me. I have a Philips plasma that lately the speakers are rattling on some broadcasts. I know they are simple, nothing speakers, but they have worked OK. I am not into real high quality sound. I know my 622 reciever has an optic audio output and I wanted to know what I would need to use this. Do I need a reciever that has this optic input? I do have a nice pair of Boston acoustics that I could use. They have been in a closet for a few years. I no longer listen to music in the house like I use to so these items have been put away. I have a older, probably 10-15 year old, Yamaha reciever that does have different channels such as Theater, Concert Hall, etc. All of the speaker connections are for wire and not for RCA type plugs. Is there a web site I could go to to gain more knowledge? I just want some decent quality sound and don't need a big bucks type system. Thanks

Are you looking to do surround sound? Or just stereo? Don't know anything about your plasma, but it may have external speaker jacks on it, which would enable you to use your Boston Acoustics, which despite their age, would probably be a step up sound wise. If you want surround sound, check into an inexpensive home theater in a box deal, at BB or CC. Good starting point.

In order to not spend anything now you could just hook up your older receiver with your BA speakers, then feed just L/R audio into an aux. input on the receiver from the RCA audio output jacks via a stereo cable from either the 622 or your TV (if it has those outputs, most do).

But yeah - echo HTIB! If price is a primary objective try even Wal*Mart. You could get a very inexpensive 5.1 SS system for less than $200, but that probably wouldn't be true SS (simulated only, like your current receiver apparently has). The wider audio and dynamic range especially with the subwoofer will have you craving more! For a new audio system you might have to spend a bit more for one that will accept the optical signal, or better yet has HDMI input(s). Either way you can enjoy the full, true DD5.1 SS that many HD programs now have, and the 622 will send those audio signals either over optical or HDMI. I bet once you hear your system in true SS you'll be glad you made the investment, and never look back! (If you're spending on a new system, look to the future and consider what you might want to add later, like a BD player, game system, etc., then buy a system with enough flexibillity!)

As to a web site for more knowledge - look no further...!

Last edited:
Bought a box set (my first all in one ever) from Wal Mart)a few weeks ago when I moved a FPTV into my bedroom, I plan to upgrade and put the RCA 5.1 system into my big camper eventually... It works ok for the bedroom...

Last edited:
I'll echo whhat others have said. Use the BA speakers connected to the TV if possible. That will limit your hassle factor and the TV will work like it always has. Only possible if you have external outputs. An aside. Are your speakers internal to the set or bolted on to the sides/bottom. If the latter, you may find that the buzzing is coming from the cases being loose and you may be able to solve the problewm by tightening things or with a little tape. The double sticky foam tape can work wonders at eliminating these buzzing sounds.

If neither of these work, then go for the receiver. You would need to hook the audio red and white RCA connections from the 622 to the receiver. The hassle factor is that you will end up adding a remote and something else that needs to be turned on, but the sound will be better than you will get from the TV amplifiers.

In order to not spend anything now you could just hook up your older receiver with your BA speakers, then feed just L/R audio into an aux. input on the receiver from the RCA audio output jacks via a stereo cable from either the 622 or your TV (if it has those outputs, most do).

But yeah - echo HTIB! If price is a primary objective try even Wal*Mart. You could get a very inexpensive 5.1 SS system for less than $200, but that probably wouldn't be true SS (simulated only, like your current receiver apparently has). The wider audio and dynamic range especially with the subwoofer will have you craving more! For a new audio system you might have to spend a bit more for one that will accept the optical signal, or better yet has HDMI input(s). Either way you can enjoy the full, true DD5.1 SS that many HD programs now have, and the 622 will send those audio signals either over optical or HDMI. I bet once you hear your system in true SS you'll be glad you made the investment, and never look back! (If you're spending on a new system, look to the future and consider what you might want to add later, like a BD player, game system, etc., then buy a system with enough flexibillity!)

That's how it starts. Next thing you find yourself in an audio salon, you don't even how you got there, but "upgradeits" has set in, and you need more power, bigger and better speakers, maybe Blu-ray. Just stay away from the cables, they'll get you every time on those. Have fun, it's a great hobby.

Good point Paul! To the OP - if you do buy any kind of new system, don't let the store, even a "discount" place like Wal*Mart sell you their high-price cables, especially the component, optical, or HDMI cables. Use an on-line source like monoprice.com and save up to 90% over store prices!

www.monoprice.com

That's how it starts. Next thing you find yourself in an audio salon, you don't even how you got there, but "upgradeits" has set in, and you need more power, bigger and better speakers, maybe Blu-ray. Just stay away from the cables, they'll get you every time on those. Have fun, it's a great hobby.
Getting Blu Ray will give you a major case of it. I'm currently suffering through it, but am unable to do anything about it until the end of the year or when I sell my house, whichever comes first (hopefully the latter)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts