Setting up a Wildblue dish

Both satellites are at 99W. But it's not as simple as you might think. First, you'll need a proprietary antenna pointing aid (APA). Then determine the RF polarization of the TRIA; RHCP or LHCP. That determines which of the two satellites is accessed. Then you have to arrange for Wildblue to put the account on that particular satellite. At that point they'll give you a filter setting number. You set the APA to that number, which will then discriminate the specified sub-carrier on your assigned cell.

//greg//

Thanks Greg. I have a friend that wants to move his Wildblue with him Back and forth to his other house. The house is only about 40 miles apart. I looked at the dish and seen its a LHCP. I order a new dish and the LHCP and installed it on the second house. I had him move the modem and power to the 2nd house, what I don't know (and many other things) is will the modem (sys) work in this new area? or will I need a analog meter to get it working? and will I need a APA again? Seeing that both dish or LHCP and using the same modem like a full time RVer. Can this work? Thanks

Yeah your going to need an apa, and I would recommend an analog meter. The birdog isn't going to help much.

It can be done with a regular good "ol faithful" Channel Maser and No APA. Although i would not reccommend it unless you know what your doing. Depending on where your located at it may not be that big of an issue. since they came out with the new spot beam here in KY I use APA regular now but didnt before. you can get a certified installer to pull up your buddies account in portal and check it out. i wouldnt use birddog meter. the tria takes more than the regular 18 volts to power it up. I even herd of guys burning there meters up. the modem will lign itsself back out. again have someone check out his SVT in portal.

I use my Birddog USB for all of my WB installs. I hook up my BD to the receive side of the Tria and look to the Directv 101 SWM, never had a problem

I use my Birddog USB for all of my WB installs. I hook up my BD to the receive side of the Tria and look to the Directv 101 SWM, never had a problem
Sorry, can't let you get away with that. Not in those words anyway. First off, DirecTV 101 refers to a GEO longitude (101 West). SWM refers to single wire multiplexer. One in orbit, the other planted down on earth. Never the twain shall meet. Next, both satellites carrying Wildblue service are orbiting over 111.1 west. Which begs the question; how do you intercept the Wildblue signal by pointing your BirdDog at 101W?

So perhaps with the above in mind, you'd try again to describe how you integrate your BirdDog into a Wildblue installation. In addition, I'm curious how you select a beam sub-carrier without an APA. Like the man says, we need "the rest of the story".

//greg//

I set my BD on the 101 swm setting on my meter( I've tried others but it's works the best) connect it to the tria an use the top line signal power level. It will hover around 170-180 but when you hit the sat. It will jump to 200-208. I've never had one problem with this method. Now you have to make sure that your beam angle is right or you'll hit other sat's but as long as you have it right no worries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts