Setting up RVU in 4K

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I believe the problem is truly that you do not have a 4k client or a 4k RVU active on your account. Your RVU is working because it took over the spot of an existing client (I'm guessing lower than a C61k).

If you give them the MAC address to authorize the 4K RVU set properly in their system, and have an HR54, it should automatically (or at least give them the option) to add 4k service to the account.
Right now, with only a HR54 and clients (less than C61k) on the account, they likely don't even have an option to add it because their system doesn't think you have 4k hardware.

My take is that you do need them to authorize the 4k RVU set, even though it is working in place of a client right now, to be able to add (or have added) 4k service.

In the event a tech was installing this, it would not pass their install test if it was hooked up via ethernet. As you already have the RVU installed and working, as long as you don't have any truck rolls, you should be good to go. Bear in mind that it is working fine with SD/HD service, but you haven't been able to test it with 4k. If there is nothing major going on between the TV and Genie, and it is a good router/switch setup, it may likely be fine. The unknown of home networking equipment that is beyond the scope of DirecTV's control is why it is considered an unsupported setup using ethernet. It will work, but it will not pass the installers test, as it is not how DirecTV pays their techs to install it.

Good luck, I believe your best step is to get the 4K RVU client added to DirecTV system using the TV's MAC address.

No I don't think that they got rid of the Directv people. However, every time I tried to call in I got transferred from a Directv call center to an AT&T one. You can tell because of different voices, different hold music, ect. I don't know that actually talking to someone from Directv would have been better or not, but I do know that the AT&T people were completely clueless about Directv products.

Thats why I said it would be nice to talk to an actual Directv employee. But the automated system keep kicking me over to an AT&T call center.
No it doesn't.
Att and D* both have centers in the US as well as other countries, as I mentioned earlier.
It has been my understanding that if you call in the evening there is a better chance of getting someone over seas than other times in the day.

ATT cut the D* tech support staff, then got rid of their ability to activate/deactivate receivers in favor of using a (garbage) automated system and then if that fails is sends you to the ATT installer activation line. that was supposed to cut wait times (they're longer...). It's been over a year already, they ARE consolidating and moving more of the D* support overseas.

( I saw some very impressive replies here - K9SAT and a few others )
Just an update :
I tried chat and cut pasted the directTV link for '4K Ready " TVs, so that he could not blindly say that they do not support it. But end the end, he said some nonsense like 'His computer is down and bailed out"
But in one of my calls, a girl with a heavy accent actually tried her best to help me. She enabled 4K on my account . It did not work immediately. But when I turned on TV next say, I noticed that 4K was working for channels 104 and 106 ( Which was just showing DirecTV Logo ). But 105 kept showing "you need to Upgrade" message.

Meanwhile the technician came to install RVU. But instead of teh DECAs, he came in with 61K receiver. And I was fortunate enough to find an unused coax from teh basement.
Everything started working - except that next day my account was showing 2 extra devices and they wanted to charge 14 $ ( 7 + 7 ) .
It took me one more very lengthy phone call to convince them ( They kept asking "What is teh serial number for the receiver you are not using" ) that I dont have anything other than the minis in my home.

Overall , although I spent 6-7 hours on phone and setting it up, I feel good that I learned a lot about RVU ( Its a really cool protocol with a lot of potential )

Thank you once again for all those who responded

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
So did you end up with a C61k activated and the RVU turned off?
Yes Sir. I did.

Like was commented here, a physical box makes it much easier to deal with the cust support reps.
Plus using a dedicated remote is much easier too
Plus RVU channel change was a little slow

( But RVU is a great concept - built on top of DLNA. And Im happy to have been able to get a first hand experience with it )

I definitely understand the client box being easier for the CSR to understand, many don't understand RVU at all.

The 2015 and prior sets seem to be slow at the user interface on RVU. The 2016 seem to be improved and some have reported faster than C61. I had a C51 previously and feel it is about the same.
RVU can use the RC73 remote as well, the installer should have set that up for the TV.

Glad you are up and running and in good shape.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts