Setting up RVU in 4K

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonyantony

Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
United States
I have a Genie ( HR54-700 ) and a Samsung Smart TV that Supports RVU.
I connected Both Genie and teh TV to a Gigabit Homenetwork and successfully setup teh TV as a location and everything is working fine as expected.
But when I access 4K Channels 104 & 105, I get the attached message.
( When I access Channel 106, I get a moving DirectTV Logo that appears to be in 4K. - although it is difficult to tell )
I am subscribed to the Ultimate Package and so these should have been available to me.
I tried calling DirecTV, and was moved from one representative to another and nobody seemed to know what RVU is.

Many of them kept telling me that I need to run a coax cable from the Genie box to the TV in order to make this work.

Do I need to provision my account specifically to get 4K content ?
How can I get 4k RVU work ?

Attachments

• IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,330
Do you have any other receivers on the account? If yes see if the HR54 is the primary, IIRC the Genie has to be the primary to get 4K authorized.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

You need to have a client on your account although you probably already do if you got this far. You also need to have the 4K service. This automatically gets added if we add a 4K client or 4K RVU TV. You could try calling on and tell them you want to activate an RVU TV. I have had customer service just do it when I insisted it was already connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the responses. Yes Genie (HR54 ) is the primary, and yes I have 3 mini Genies.
In order to make RVU work, I had to replace one of teh mini Genies with the RVU TV ( So one of the mini Genies is not working now )
I just got off from another 1 hr cust service call . She sincerely tried to help me this time - sent the hit on my Genie multiple times., but it did not work.

My biggest fear is that the tech person would come to install and he would want to run a coax cable from the Genie ( basement ) to RVU TV ( 2nd Floor ) - because this is all he is familiar with.

When she attempted to activate my account for 4K content ( which is free , since I already have Ultimate package ) , she kept asking for my TVs MAC address. I m not sure why she would need that.

Meanwhile , Reading from here : https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/DirecTV-4k-accurate-info-please/td-p/555585

Under "Unthruths that the technician told me are:"
- You can't use your existing wired(ethernet) instead of their DECA/WiFi network. Not true as long as you understand networking a bit you can set this up to work more efficiently on your wired home network."What kind of boxes/connections does theDirecTV 4K Ready service require?The main benefit of using DirecTV 4K Ready feature is reduction in connections required to your X850C. Monthly costs won't be reduced.

Overall these people seemed clueless about RVU setup

if the sony website is saying this can be done, you probably need to ask them how to do it. it sounds like you need to set up a VLAN on a router and connect both the TV and the Genie that way. there is probably a check on the RVU side for crazyness. there was also a software update recently for the C61K recently, so they may have also updated how the RVU side works as well.

my suggestion: if you have an ethernet cable going to your 4k TV, where ever that connects back to the router, put a DECA there and connect that to D* splitter.

Yeah good luck with customer service and RVU. I have a tv that is RVU ready as well. My install is Friday. I called in three different times to switch my order from Genie mini to RVU client. Was told all three times that there's no such thing as RVU and Directv Ready and the only way to get Directv is to have a receiver. So after three tries I just gave up and figured I would talk to my installer when he comes. These AT&T people have no clue how to service this stuff!! I wish there was a way to talk to someone at Directv but every time I call their number their automated system transfers me right to AT&T

Good idea. Now according to that list my tv isnt compatible. However it's listed on the rvu alliance website and it has the directv app on it.

Reactions: Jvfan57
Good idea. Now according to that list my tv isnt compatible. However it's listed on the rvu alliance website and it has the directv app on it.

Have it on and working, try the "I just need it activated as 4K" approach. No guarantees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She needs your MAC address to authorize the RVU part of your TV to the HR54. RVU clents authorize off of MAC addresses. While yes you can set it up over the network, and not use a DECA, the DECA is the only supported method. If you use straight up ethernet, it won't be supported. There were issues with using straight up ethernet. It really sounds like you need authorization sent for 4k.

Reactions: jcrandall
It was my understanding that the initial install of an RVU TV required a Directv Deca connection, and this would also install the 4k service. Then after the initial setup and the Deca has been detected, the user could remove the Deca and use straight internet connection. Perhaps that is what has prevented the RVU from initializing correctly for 4k.

Yeah good luck with customer service and RVU. I have a tv that is RVU ready as well. My install is Friday. I called in three different times to switch my order from Genie mini to RVU client. Was told all three times that there's no such thing as RVU and Directv Ready and the only way to get Directv is to have a receiver. So after three tries I just gave up and figured I would talk to my installer when he comes. These AT&T people have no clue how to service this stuff!! I wish there was a way to talk to someone at Directv but every time I call their number their automated system transfers me right to AT&T
So..... you actually think that att just got rid of all those people that were working with D* and brought thier own people in to figure all this out ?
Sorry, most of the people you are talking to are the same D* people that have been there. Not all, but most.

Reactions: goaliebob99
It was my understanding that the initial install of an RVU TV required a Directv Deca connection, and this would also install the 4k service. Then after the initial setup and the Deca has been detected, the user could remove the Deca and use straight internet connection. Perhaps that is what has prevented the RVU from initializing correctly for 4k.

Nope, an Ethernet only connection is not supported by tech support. Only those connected via Deca is officially supported. While it may technically work, there are issues with it like delayed FF or rewind. I know from experience. :)

So..... you actually think that att just got rid of all those people that were working with D* and brought thier own people in to figure all this out ?
Sorry, most of the people you are talking to are the same D* people that have been there. Not all, but most.
Until they move the work to India

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

I think we are going around the issue here. sonyantony said "My biggest fear is that the tech person would come to install and he would want to run a coax cable from the Genie ( basement ) to RVU TV ( 2nd Floor ) - because this is all he is familiar with.
Not a question of being familiar. You need a coax cable to the RVU location from a splitter tied into the coax network. Unless things have changed recently, as b52 pooh said, that is the only way to get the RVU connected. You can't just make an ethernet connection.
Once it's connected and working, you can replace the connection with ethernet, although as k9sat says that is NOT supported by DirecTV, and also has been reported as having some issues

Hmmm, how many times have you called D* and gotten people from NOT in the USA ?
Plenty.

I'm not saying I like it, but its been going on with D* for many years now.
And sadly most other companies as well.
U don't know att?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

No I don't think that they got rid of the Directv people. However, every time I tried to call in I got transferred from a Directv call center to an AT&T one. You can tell because of different voices, different hold music, ect. I don't know that actually talking to someone from Directv would have been better or not, but I do know that the AT&T people were completely clueless about Directv products.

Thats why I said it would be nice to talk to an actual Directv employee. But the automated system keep kicking me over to an AT&T call center.

Reactions: Jvfan57
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)