Setting Up Satellite Dish

KodiaksMonty

Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Kodiak, Alaska
I just moved about 8 miles from my previous location. I am trying to get my Dish up and running but am having some problems. I have located the general area of where satellite 119 is located using several different sources. I have the dish pointed in the general direction and I am not getting any signal. I have the cable running from the satellite dish to a DPP33 switch, and from there to my receiver. In previous location I had 110 and 119 thus the switch. I plan to add second dish to get 110 so am keeping the switch. My questions are should I run the cable from the dish straight to the receiver and take the switch out of play until I get a signal? What transponder should I use when searching for a signal?

When I run a check on the switch it registers that a satellite is connected but the status shows Reception ERROR, is this because I have not found the signal for 119?

Thank you in advance for any help!!!

Hi, what dish and LNB are you trying to setup? If all you want is SD from the 110 and 119 pair a Dish 500 with the DP Plus dual LNB should be all you need unless you have old receivers.

I would take one of the receivers out to the dish along with a small TV and hook it up direct then try to find and peak on the satellite. Be aware that you can get the wrong satellite from the wrong side of the LNB (if it is the dual LNB) if you are not careful. Make sure the mounting poll/mast is plumb and the elevation is set correct. Do not count on the dish having the correct elevation on it even though it was working before you moved unless you checked the mast that the dish was on before the move as it could have been out of plumb.

Hope this helps, DC

Kodiakmonty would you be in Alaska? Could you be using a large dish for each satellite? Suggestion would be use "Dishmover" from DISH or a professional installer.

Why yes, I am in Alaska and having to use 1.2 meter dishes to receive signal. Because of my location I am not eligible for the free "Dishmover" service, and an installer wants to charge me $300 to locate the signal since I have everything else setup. I am trying to avoid paying that amount just to find a signal, but I am keeping it as a last resort. It is finally a sunny day here so i am going to take the receiver and small tv out to the dish and see what I cannot find. Thanks for the help!!!

You are looking at a satellite about the size of a van 22,300 miles out from the equater,it is a small target. As sayellite dishes become larger they are even harder to aim accurately because their beam width becomes narrower. Patience and very small movements may get you there. But it will be easier to pay for the alignment not cheaper but easier.

You are looking at a satellite about the size of a van 22,300 miles out from the equater,it is a small target. As sayellite dishes become larger they are even harder to aim accurately because their beam width becomes narrower. Patience and very small movements may get you there. But it will be easier to pay for the alignment not cheaper but easier.

Hi, I guess it depends a lot on how one looks at things. $300 may represent a lot of hard work to the OP. I know it does to me. So it may really be much (easier) to align the dish then to pay to have it done. Besides being able to aim your own dishes can come in handy if something happens like a storm and you want to get your TV back quickly.

BTW - if you have trouble finding the satellites with just the receiver try one of those check squeal satellite finders. They can be adjusted so they start to sound when the dish is just aimed close to the satellite - they can really help rough in the dish. Then the receiver is used to fully peak the dish.

Later, DC

Great advices guys,

Wow @KodiaksMonty 300$ sound like a really big bucks for this kind of service for me as well. Did you ask your friends about help? May be some of them have an expirience to pointing it.

I would take one of the receivers out to the dish along with a small TV and hook it up direct then try to find and peak on the satellite. ...
Back in the day, pre Cell Phones, that is just what we did. I can remember sitting out on the roof with a small TV along with the 5000 receiver.

Were I to do that now, I'd have a cell phone or cordless phone in my ear with another person inside at the receiver and TV chilling the beer for consumption after the two sats are dialed in.

You are looking at a satellite about the size of a van 22,300 miles out from the equater,it is a small target. ....
I guess those of us that "found" 110 and 199 many years ago with a receiver and TV out on the roof were just lucky? Actually the "target" is the beam that is transmitted from the sat and that beam is actually quite broad. It's not that much of a daunting task as you suggest.

What is a good way to go right now for an inexpensive Satellite locator? I have the little beeper type, but that is pretty crude. I was wondering if someone makes one that reads a signal bar like the reciever does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)