Setting up SWM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

keithb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I currently have a slimline 5 lnb setup and only one line of RG6 coming into the house.

I want to use an HR22 and would like to go the SWM route instead of drilling another hole to run a second line of RG6 to feed the DVR.

I am able to get my hands on a used SWM3 LNB, an 8 way wide band splitter, and a 21 V power inserter for a cheap price. I understand the splitter can be outside and the power inserter has to be inside the house. Will this work? Is there anything else I'm missing? Thank-you

so you currently only have one receiver?

Seeing your location ( ;) ) locals dont matter right?

The splitter can be mounted inside. Mine is. There is one output on the splitter that says "power passing". The PI has to be hooked to that cable. The PI can be plugged in anywhere in the line. I have mine right by the receiver in the computer room (so I dont take up any outlets in the main room)

On the SWM for 1 receiver (or DVR) you wont need the splitter at all. From PI coax out marked "power to SWM"-go straight to SWM 3 LNB. "Signal to IRD" coax out from PI to Coax 1 (SWM) on DVR. The fewer links in the chain the better. Should have a ground block outside grounding coax in to house grnd.

Thanks guys for the quick reply. Looks then like I only need the SWM3 lnb and the power inserter.

No Ice, no locals needed for *D as I get tons of locals with ShawD!

I received the SWM3 lnb and power inserter today via UPS.

Silly question but I imagine I need to unhook power to PVR first before proceding with the other hookups? Then plug in power inserter, then box? After running setup, both meters will show signal? I would also like to confirm no need for B band converters?

Again, thanks for all the help.

I received the SWM3 lnb and power inserter today via UPS.

Silly question but I imagine I need to unhook power to PVR first before proceding with the other hookups? Then plug in power inserter, then box? After running setup, both meters will show signal? I would also like to confirm no need for B band converters?

Again, thanks for all the help.

I'm not sure about the power up sequence, but I think it does matter. You don't need the bbcs in a swm setup ever.

Always a good idea to shut down recvrs before making any changes.
Don't think the sequence for start up matters.
That said, if you have recvrs already shut down, power them up last would make sence ...

Provided the SWM is n the system at recvr start up, the Swm should be auto detected but I would go into the Repeat Sat Set Up just the same.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Well, I finally went ahead with the setup and I'm having a problem. Changed out lnb to the SWM3, ran the RG6 line into the Power Inserter (green light on), then into line 1 of the HR22. B Band Converters removed. Power to receiver unplugged prior.

With all in place then plugged in reciever and box booted up. I then got the 771a problem saying something about communication problem with the dish.

I was able to see SWM now identifed and 110 and 119 removed satellite signal check. Any suggestion with why 771a is showing. I had no way to check if this lnb is good since I bought it from ebay.

It sounds like you did everything right. Anyone with a swm setup that can offer some advice?

Have you changed the satellite dish type in the setup screen yet? And just to be sure things are sequenced correctly, unplug both the receiver and the SWM power unit for about 30 seconds. Then plug in the SWM power and give it about 15 seconds then plug in the receiver. If this does not work then we need more information. But, it sounds like you should be pretty close.

Keith, try whjat Bob mentioned, again...
Normally the recvr will see the SWM set up and set it up automatically, however, if you can get into the menus, look and see if it indeed is set for the SWM stuff, if not, make the change.

Thanks guys, I folowed Bob's sequence and things seems okay now with the 771a now gone but a 771 present - probably moved the dish with the lnb change. I can now see the 0's on the 99,103 and 101 sat signal screen. I see there is also a SWM screen?

Before I try to repoint I'll mention that the SWM3 lnb has a little tab or nub on the bottom that is meant to slide into the sleeve of the slimline.

Well, I was calling my dish the slimine but it is an older AT9 that came with sidecar for 110 and 119. When I slid the SWM lnb in, it would not go all the way in as the small tab stopped it thus not allowing the lnb screws to line up. Easy fix I think, I just removed that little tab so now lnb lines up, and screws fit perfectly. My only concern is....did I change the focal point with this little adjustment. If this is no big deal, then I will proceed with the repoint later this afternoon.

I'm not so sure how well a swm lnb will work with the AT9. The dish shape may be different enough to affect your signal levels. It's worth a try though, especially since you already installed it! ;)

The slimline LNBs don't work out of the box with the AT9. IIRC, the feed horns don't point at the focus of the AT9 dish.

In fact, as I recall, you couldn't even swap AT9 LNBs between different manufacturers of the AT9.

The secret to success is to use a Slimline dish with your Slimline LNB.

Looks like I have a choice then either to get a slimline dish (rare around here plus the AT9 being slightly larger gives me a little more HD) or just drill a hole and run another line. Leaning now toward option 2

How do I get rid of the SWM software that downloaded to the box? Is it just an uplug of the recevier for a set amount of time?

Looks like I have a choice then either to get a slimline dish (rare around here plus the AT9 being slightly larger gives me a little more HD) or just drill a hole and run another line. Leaning now toward option 2

How do I get rid of the SWM software that downloaded to the box? Is it just an uplug of the recevier for a set amount of time?

The AT9 and the Slimline get the same HD channels.
There is NO SWM software specific that was downloaded .... you just update the software on the unit is all.

Can you actually get 99 and 103 that far North? I would have thought you were way out of the satellite footprint...

I was able to find a slimline dish and followed Bob's sequence for SWM startup. All is working fine now, thanks to everyone for their help.

This far north, I'm getting about half the ka transponders as we are on the edge of the footprint. Signals mainly in the 30's with a bump up to the 40's when the air gets colder and crisper.

Only option I'm told is to go with the AK/HI 1.2 meter - curious if the this dish can do SWM?

I was able to find a slimline dish and followed Bob's sequence for SWM startup. All is working fine now, thanks to everyone for their help.

This far north, I'm getting about half the ka transponders as we are on the edge of the footprint. Signals mainly in the 30's with a bump up to the 40's when the air gets colder and crisper.

Only option I'm told is to go with the AK/HI 1.2 meter - curious if the this dish can do SWM?

If it uses the same lnb, then yes. The dish only gathers the signals, the lnb carries it to the equipment inside.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)