Setting up to display in HD

Roseman

Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I have a Samsung LN46A650 1080P HDTV and a VIP 722 with the HD programming packages....What I wanted to know is when I went in the into SYSTEM SETUP and then to HDTV SETUP I saw and changed the ASPECT RATIO to 16:9 and the TV TYPE to 1080i but what I don't understand is how to setup the Analog Type....I'm not getting any channels from local stations with an antenna as I signed up to get my local channels through Dish (Birmingham).....What do I set Analog Type too?...........The choices are Off Air, IRC, HRC and Cable.....I sure would appreciate anything you could tell me about how to set that up......thanks

I have a Samsung LN46A650 1080P HDTV and a VIP 722 with the HD programming packages....What I wanted to know is when I went in the into SYSTEM SETUP and then to HDTV SETUP I saw and changed the ASPECT RATIO to 16:9 and the TV TYPE to 1080i but what I don't understand is how to setup the Analog Type....I'm not getting any channels from local stations with an antenna as I signed up to get my local channels through Dish (Birmingham).....What do I set Analog Type too?...........The choices are Off Air, IRC, HRC and Cable.....I sure would appreciate anything you could tell me about how to set that up......thanks
Off Air.

KAB, thanks for you response.....I was wondering also perhaps I don't understand all the terminology but why is it called "analog" type?...I thought analog was completely different than "digital" and thought all the signals we were dealing with in a Dish HD setup were digital unless using an antenna.....I'm not thinking of this correctly and if not could you please tell me where I/m getting it wrong, thanks for your time

KAB, thanks for you response.....I was wondering also perhaps I don't understand all the terminology but why is it called "analog" type?...I thought analog was completely different than "digital" and thought all the signals we were dealing with in a Dish HD setup were digital unless using an antenna.....I'm not thinking of this correctly and if not could you please tell me where I/m getting it wrong, thanks for your time
The simplest answer is to just ignore it. It is a point of confusion. I don't know why they used the word analog. But they did. Yes it is all digital.

Thanks KAB, between your response and what I learned on another forum I understand now...again thanks.

The "Off Air, IRC, HRC and Cable" is TV NTSC coax input choice for cable system, IIRC. Since the 722 only sees digital OTA ATSC through the coax input you should not worry about it. It does not affect any satellite channels, which come from your dish.

Your Dish coax output would be Off Air. You should be watching Dish on HDMI or component.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)