[New Jersey] Setting Up Your Own Part 15 AM Station

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Set up this Part 15 TalkingSign transmitter, can be set from 1490 - 1690 KHz AM, it records a five-minute message that loops repeatedly. Antenna is a 3 meter wire attached to a fiberglass telescoping pole. Soldered a radial ring to the ground of the xmitter and ran two radials initially, got about 3/10 of a mile range so far. Next step is to try this with many radials to hopefully increase the range.These little xmitters are lots of fun.

100_4878.JPG 100_4880.JPG 100_4878.JPG 100_4880.JPG 100_4878.JPG 100_4880.JPG

Last edited:
I have a Hamilton Rangemaster and it gets out for about a mile and a half. I operate on 1620 am.
Mile and a half, not too shabby, that's what I'm shooting for. Is yours elevated, and do you use radials?
Was thinking of setting one of these up with a message regarding reception reports. Might get some long range reports in the winter, that is if anyone's listening to AM!

Mine is about 20 feet off the ground. (On top of my garage) with just a ground run down. We had to try a number of areas with the ground before we found a good spot.

Reactions: spongella
I'd like very much to get one for our local county park! Being part 15, it wouldn't have the limitations of the "travelers' stations' and could have support from business, and help campers and visitors know more about the park and our area! Park Director seems to like the idea so far....and I'd certainly happily "voice" for him or assist!

I hear ya' radio - that would be an excellent use for this type of station. Check out chezradio.com, they have some nice ones, all one piece ready to go. Ramsey Electronics also has some in kit or assembled form.

Am still trying to get some more mileage out of my system, want to try longer radials, then put a message on morse code with QSL info for those winter nights when maybe, just maybe it'll go to skywave propagation and someone far away will hear it. Sort of a poor man's beacon.

I had an FM "station" at my old house. Haven't got the 50ft tower moved here to my new place yet. It used an old "Sparkomatic" FM transmitter that I've had for years. It transmits on 90.1 (non-adjustable) and if I remember correctly puts out less than half a watt. The format was (and will be again) Active Rock.

Reactions: spongella
I actually have my own part 15 AM station which at the moment is off the air due to some shifting around antennas. If anything for a format it is heavily mixed ranging from country to oldies and darned near anything I feel like playing. The transmitter operates at 1630 KHz and transmits in stereo using the Motorola C-QUAM AM stereo system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts