Setup advice ...

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
Hi guys, been lurking for a few weeks but i guess its time to say hello :wave and ask my first question.

Moved from D* to E* a few weeks ago and am so far very happy with my service .. early blips and re-alignment problems have been worked out and as soon as i find someone to come out and install a decent OTA antenna i'll be laughing.

Couple of questions ... or rather want to check the info i have before I make an upgrade call.

I currently have

1 - VIP 211 - for HDTV in Den.
1 - VIP 211 - for HDTV in main bedroom
1 - 311 - setup in spare bedroom for guests/company.

Package HDGold.

==============

1. Rather than pay $5 per month for the receiver in the spare room which would only be used 2-3 times a year for a week or two at a time - is it possible to buy a basic receiver (SD is fine) to avoid the fee's ?

I have had a good look around the forums and THINK that buying a receiver i would then be able to activate when i need it and then turn it off to avoid the fee when its not in use .. is that correct ?

If that's the case which receiver do you recommend - would a 311 be my best option or could i get an older/cheaper model somewhere to do the job as a backup/stand-in receiver which would just be used once in a while ?

===============

or

===============

2. i could go with an upgrade to a 622 instead of one of those 211's ... if i understand correctly - i could then get rid of my 311 and use the second tuner on the 622 ... is this correct ? That would do away with the need to buy another receiver and would save me $5 per month in addtl fee's and would do away with the need for activation and de-activation of the receiver .. as well as giving me DVR capability ....

If the answer to ths is a yes - instead of paying $100 for a receiver i may as well pay $200 and get the DVR .. correct ?

I guess i just want a bit of advice and to make sure the information i have pulled together sounds about right before i call the CSR's/Tech support people.

I would go with the 622 you would lose the second receiver fee as long as you are connected to a phone line, but you will have the dvr fee unless you upgrade to hdplatinum.

ahhh ... dvr fee .. i knew i forgot one of them.

How does the 622 work ? I presume its only one box they send .. which i would put in the den ... does cable need to be installed between the den and the bedroom then ? does the DVR work in both rooms even though one is only SD ?
Is there a way to watch the content you record on my 211 in the bedroom ... ? Probably not .. but thought i would ask that last one ...

So if i did upgrade to the 622 ... and to platinum ...

the bill would be

99 - platinum
5 - locals
5 - addtl receiver (211 in bedroom)
=====
=====

and if i did not upgrade - it would be

70 - hdgold
5 - locals
5 - addtl receiver
6 - DVR fee
====
====

or 100 if i continue with my HBO subscription after the 3 free month period ..

so for an extra $10 i get all channels and dvr capabilities .. sounds like a no-brainer to me ...

The 622 would work ok hooked up to voip (sunrocket) i presume ?
the receiver i have hooked up right now seems t be able to dial in/out just fine .. so i would assume the 622 would be just the same right ?

Thanks for the help.

Are you under the 30 day money back guaranty? You may have problems changing equipment if you are not. You signed a contract agreeing to use that equipment and DISH is not known for easily modifying a contract unless it is to their benefit.:)

boba said:
Are you under the 30 day money back guaranty? You may have problems changing equipment if you are not. You signed a contract agreeing to use that equipment and DISH is not known for easily modifying a contract unless it is to their benefit.:)

I'm about to roll into my 18 month contract with them .. but i'm probably going to wait until my three month free HBO is over before i upgrade ... so probably not for another month or two yet .. i just want to have all of my ducks in a row when i call them ;)

Have managed to figure out that the remote will control tv2 on the box ... but not yet how the box connects to tv2 .. would that involve another cable install from box to tv2 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)