Setup Network Devices to Perform Single Function (..almost?)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mrlewp87

Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
Florida
Our new replacement gateway/ combo device is the Sagemcom 4320. I like the idea of "dedicated" devices, considering the best we can hope for here is DSL @ 6mbps. I want everything in order and performing at its best. Search "How To Improve Network Performance".

1) If WindStream- my ISP allows me to use a retired Speedstream 5200 modem, and if it's
a combo device, I would disable its router functions or "bridge" the device, so it would still handle NAT- Is that right?

2) As for the Sage4320, I'd eventually like it just handling Routing/DHCP. It does have a
WAN port- an Input? Even tho' it's also a modem? Fairly certain I read that simply by connecting a modem to a combo unit, via WAN, that it (the combo) would then give up modem functions, thus leaving NAT tasks to the 5200.

3) A key point in the article, is to follow the router with a "switch". I get the point of it, but the Sgcm4320 sits atop our TV stand, since I opted for WIRED Ethernet for our DISH Hopper, Pans HDTV, and BluRay player. Formerly all Wireless. There isn't the "file transfer" situation there, which was the case made for having a Switch device. But- about 40 ft. away is our office/den. There, we have 2 printers and 2 desktops. Both printers can be wireless or wired. I've run cable, and tried using our Belkin F7D2301 both as a switch- LAN to LAN from the Sgcm- and as a separate network, using LAN to WAN from the Sgcm. That's how the WStrm tech left things. I had mixed success.

4) Provided all devices are set up as desired, and running ; SpdStrm 5200 as modem, to
WAN of Sagemcom 4320 as Router- and leaving the TV/ media devices wired to it, then
to the Belkin as Switch ( no DHCP, no wireless)

Could I then go LAN to LAN from the Belkin (switch) to my D-Link Router, set up as a Wireless AP only!? Then I would turn OFF the wireless in the Sagemcom 4320 , reducing
its workload to Routing (includes the 3 wired devices)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)