Setup Network Devices to Perform Single Function (..almost?)

Mrlewp87

Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
Florida
Our new replacement gateway/ combo device is the Sagemcom 4320. I like the idea of "dedicated" devices, considering the best we can hope for here is DSL @ 6mbps. I want everything in order and performing at its best. Search "How To Improve Network Performance".

1) If WindStream- my ISP allows me to use a retired Speedstream 5200 modem, and if it's
a combo device, I would disable its router functions or "bridge" the device, so it would still handle NAT- Is that right?

2) As for the Sage4320, I'd eventually like it just handling Routing/DHCP. It does have a
WAN port- an Input? Even tho' it's also a modem? Fairly certain I read that simply by connecting a modem to a combo unit, via WAN, that it (the combo) would then give up modem functions, thus leaving NAT tasks to the 5200.

3) A key point in the article, is to follow the router with a "switch". I get the point of it, but the Sgcm4320 sits atop our TV stand, since I opted for WIRED Ethernet for our DISH Hopper, Pans HDTV, and BluRay player. Formerly all Wireless. There isn't the "file transfer" situation there, which was the case made for having a Switch device. But- about 40 ft. away is our office/den. There, we have 2 printers and 2 desktops. Both printers can be wireless or wired. I've run cable, and tried using our Belkin F7D2301 both as a switch- LAN to LAN from the Sgcm- and as a separate network, using LAN to WAN from the Sgcm. That's how the WStrm tech left things. I had mixed success.

4) Provided all devices are set up as desired, and running ; SpdStrm 5200 as modem, to
WAN of Sagemcom 4320 as Router- and leaving the TV/ media devices wired to it, then
to the Belkin as Switch ( no DHCP, no wireless)

Could I then go LAN to LAN from the Belkin (switch) to my D-Link Router, set up as a Wireless AP only!? Then I would turn OFF the wireless in the Sagemcom 4320 , reducing
its workload to Routing (includes the 3 wired devices)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)