SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Big Sur, CA
6441 KTVU
6440 KNTV
6439 KPIX
6438 KGO

They are in the guide at 3pm - 4pm, listed in the All HD section and in the all channels guide. All four come in quite well considering I'm in a distant area a little out of the spot beam. So far I haven't seen any hd content.

Tim

In Sacramento,
3 (KCRA - NBC)
10 (KXTV - ABC)
13 (KOVR - CBS)
58 (KQCA - WB) are all now available,

40 (KTXL - Fox) is missing.

Last edited:
Interesting the 8000 numbered sd channels that are on e 10 spotbeam only have a 74 signal strength from my location 160 miles south of SF. And the 119 hd content 6400 numbered channels have an 84 signal strength.

Tim

I'm noticing when surfing through the channels when I get to one of these new mpeg 4 channels I get a green flash and then the picture smoothes out and on a couple of the channels I get rectangular pixelation and then it settles down to a good picture.

Anybody know what rate and resolution these channels are broadcasting in?

Tim

The San Francisco HD Locals are now up and listed under the ALL HD guide.

6438-KG0
6439-KPIX
6440-KNTV
6441-KTVU

What I find curious that also listed under the ALL HD guide are

002-00-KTVU
005-00-KPIX
007-00-KGO
011-00-KNTV

the vip receivers default local channel map down is HD. so the 002-00 etc are the dish hd locals mapped down from the 6438 etc...

still no hd content sd picture on all four channels, kgo 6438 comes up with a frozen hd picture with abc 7 and news discover on the title, its the first hd content so far. All the rest are in sd. All my other hd channels are coming in just fine.

Maybe it will get better on my 411.

Tim

What...

So let me get this straight...
The Hd channel for KTVU is 6441 BUT if I got to channel 2 it will now replace the SD channel and the Hd channel with be there?
If so this is good from my wife who will not look in the 6000's for an HD channel but bad cuz I don't stretch the HD channels (why would I) and when it is SD on an HD channel material in the 4:3 there is a risk of burn it on a plasma.

If you go to the local channels section in setup and click on sat locals you have the option of having the HD channels mapped down or the SD ones.

When I got home today I had to eventually do a hard reset to get up and running. Not sure if the HD locals caused the problem but I was stuck on "check switch" for some time. It's finally working now. Fingers crossed.

I'm noticing some audio sync problems on KGO HD only. Hopefully it will resolve by the time Lost comes on.

Quality of these channels is pretty poor. Comparing them with HD locals on Comcast, the picture is noticably softer, even ABC's 720p signal. Alias -- shot with a very grainy look -- loses almost all of the grain over E* LiL.

Nice to have, but shame on Dish for such heavy compression.

Thanks.

tbenning said:
In Sacramento,
3 (KCRA - NBC)
10 (KXTV - ABC)
13 (KOVR - CBS)
58 (KQCA - WB) are all now available,

40 (KTXL - Fox) is missing.

Cool. I get my new 622 installed next week. Maybe by then fox will be up. Is this the correct channel lineup for Sac. locals?

Sacramento - 18s43
6395 KXTV
6396 KOVR
6397 KCRA
6398 KTXL
6399 KQCA Tp 14 at 129w

I got the above from a different post from last week.

Leno tonight -- never the sharpest PQ anyway -- looked absolutely horrible on SF LiL on Dish. Looked jittery, like frames were being dropped, with lots of swim in the background and a truly degraded look.

I've never been a PQ purist, but it's surprising to me that they're this bad on Dish. I hope they can and will be improved.

who_the said:
Quality of these channels is pretty poor. Comparing them with HD locals on Comcast, the picture is noticably softer, even ABC's 720p signal. Alias -- shot with a very grainy look -- loses almost all of the grain over E* LiL.

Nice to have, but shame on Dish for such heavy compression.

Interesting... because on my 34-inch Sony through a ViP-622 the SF HD locals from Dish look just as good as they do from the OTA tuner. I don't have Comcast for comparison, but I have no complaints about the quality.

Larry
SF

larrykenney said:
Interesting... because on my 34-inch Sony through a ViP-622 the SF HD locals from Dish look just as good as they do from the OTA tuner. I don't have Comcast for comparison, but I have no complaints about the quality.

Larry
SF

Same here, they look just as good as OTA on my 32'' Sony with a ViP 211.

I'm disappointed so far, and can only hope the picture and audio improve. I have considerable audio dropouts; never had them before on any SD or HD channels, and a very stuttering picture quality. Did a front panel reboot and that didn't fix anything. I'll hope for the best........

Only only caught a few minutes of Letterman last night but instantly noticed something was off. I compared Dish & OTA and you could definitely see the difference. On Dish Lettermen's face had jagged edges all around it while OTA was completely smooth. I also thought I noticed a very slight audio sync issue, off by just a hair. I won't complain too much (for now) as now I can record 3 network programs at a time in HD, where before I had to pick one in HD and the other 2 in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)