SG2100 and distance...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

perrinrigo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Hi guys,

I was wondering... My dish is about 200 feet from the house (trees, you know). Of course, I'd like to motorize it and buy a SG2100, but the distance kind of makes me hesitate... Would the SG2100 work properly so far from the FTA box?

Thanks

SonicView 4000. I read in a review that the output for the motor was "strong". I must admit that played in the choice of replacement for my old Fortec Ultra who died in my hands (snif)...

Let me know if you get USALS working on that SV4K. Mine is no-go with USALS, I have to drive the motor and then store the position.

To answer your question, mine is about 100 feet, with TWO barrel connections inline, and it does fine. :)

Are you serious, Stogie5150? No-go with USALS? Darn! I was hoping to have it a little easier with that motor...

The guy in that review...

FTAPRO Reviews the Sonicview 4000

... doesn't seem to have had any problem with the SV4000 and USALS...

Anyone else with that kind of problem?

the 100 ft. rg6 going to my sg2100 gives no problem... I'm not sure if 200 ft. would or not. Best I can say is try it and see if it works... if not, try cutting down some trees or figuring out some way to move dish to 100 ft. range of reciver... maybe move it to another side of the house or something?.. or Heaven Forbid (sorry for sarcasm but there's tons of people that post thinking that going roof mount is the ultimate evil of all things...), do like I and several others do and go on top of house...

Are you serious, Stogie5150? No-go with USALS? Darn! I was hoping to have it a little easier with that motor...

The guy in that review...

FTAPRO Reviews the Sonicview 4000

... doesn't seem to have had any problem with the SV4000 and USALS...

Anyone else with that kind of problem?

I don't think many of us have a SV4K. I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did. And lemme tell you I tried everything I could think of, and some things I just made up on the spot. USALS is a nogo on mine.

Which is why I wanted you to try it. :D

Since I bought it I have realized that its a hacker's box, plain and simple. They don't make them for US, they make them for 'THEM'. Which is not my thing, obviously, if it was I wouldn't be here....just about everything I read on it is how the 'support' is, how the EPG works and how good it is...if folks weren't using it to get programming illegally why would they need to know that? Those of us that do TRUE FTA KNOW that there is no EPG for FTA....

I have no problem with 200+ ft of RG6, 2 LNBs and a Twinhan card but my system is modified see the link qwert1515 provided.

Long run sg2100 motor

You shouldn't have trouble with most good STBs and 200 ft of good RG6 with few good conections. Over that you may have to go to larger cable or modifications.

The main source of problem is too low a voltage at the motor and although the cable and conections are a major source of the problem another major problem is how some manufactures rate there LNB power supply specifications.

Take my Twinhan card for example, according to specs it can supply 400ma to the LNB.
The specs for the SG2100 state a typical consumption of 200ma and a max of 350ma,
My LNB is rated at 100ma max draw so typical combined total draw should be 300ma and worst case 450ma, or 50ma more than the board is rated for.
However a test with a cheap multimeter indicated that the start up surge of the motor and LNB are typically 50-100ma more than the power supply on the board is rated to provide.
I believe the start up surge on the motor is exceeding the manufactures specs at certain times by 100ma for a fraction of a second (I have a 4ft dish)
Once the motor started and the dish was turning it only drew 180ma well within specifications despite the large dish.

A lot dependeds on the design of the power supply some like mine will croak even if you breifly overload it, (it could be fixed easily but thats another subject), others won't even notice the surge and posible slight overload for a fraction of a second as the motor starts up.

In fairness to Twinhan I should say that the reason the power supply voltage drops of so quickly when it is overloaded is because of the short circuit protection built into the power supply, other boards don't have this feature or it is slower acting.

I believe most STB have better power supplies in this respect.

I fixed my somewhat weird problems with the mod mentioned in the above link, it has worked fine now for over a year.

Things aren't as much fun these days now everything works OK :rolleyes:

For Twinhan cards, there is now an external power supply modification posted on the MyTheatre forum. You would not need the positioner external power supply modification if you perform the modification to the card itself.

**MyTheatre Support Board :: Log in

I am still awaiting feedback, if the Twinhan external power supply modification also fixes the Twinhan diseqc switch problems.

I don't think many of us have a SV4K. I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did. And lemme tell you I tried everything I could think of, and some things I just made up on the spot. USALS is a nogo on mine.

Which is why I wanted you to try it. :D

Since I bought it I have realized that its a hacker's box, plain and simple. They don't make them for US, they make them for 'THEM'. Which is not my thing, obviously, if it was I wouldn't be here....just about everything I read on it is how the 'support' is, how the EPG works and how good it is...if folks weren't using it to get programming illegally why would they need to know that? Those of us that do TRUE FTA KNOW that there is no EPG for FTA....

:) Yes, I know, no EPG on FTA... Which is too bad :). I would have liked an EPG on G10...

Question: Was the DGHH-990 a piece of junk? I used to have that thing in my set up and it never worked properly. Last time I tried it, it refused obstinately to go West. Even with the manual button on the motor. In comparison is the sg-2100 a diamond?

Based on the previous experience with a motor, which was not a success to say the least, SHE (you know, HER) keeps fighting the idea of buying a new motor each step of the way. :) So I must build a strong case if I want to keep peace in the household and get the motor :eek:.

the 100 ft. rg6 going to my sg2100 gives no problem... I'm not sure if 200 ft. would or not. Best I can say is try it and see if it works... if not, try cutting down some trees or figuring out some way to move dish to 100 ft. range of reciver... maybe move it to another side of the house or something?.. or Heaven Forbid (sorry for sarcasm but there's tons of people that post thinking that going roof mount is the ultimate evil of all things...), do like I and several others do and go on top of house...

I'm gonna get killed if I start cutting down trees :eek:. Roof mount won't help either. BIG trees, and the neighbor's barns right in the LOS. Unfortunately, I'm already in the only spot with a clear view. Moving the receiver in the house? That's an idea... If I put it in the kitchen, I'd gain more or less 50'... But, like you said, the first thing to do would be to try it with the actual settings. Thanks for your advice.

Seems like one solution is to find an argument that will increase the WAF. As long as the WAF is low, you'll not get very far. We see it all the time here.

WAF = Wife Approval Factor, and is just as important to good reception as LOS :D

Show her all of the wonderful things that the world of FTA has to offer. One sure way is to find a show that she loves and point out where and when it is available via FTA. If all else fails, ask for a chainsaw to "prune" the trees so that they'll look better in the yard ;)

Yes, I know, no EPG on FTA... Which is too bad . I would have liked an EPG on G10
TitanTV - The Definitive Source for Analog, Digital (HDTV), Cable and Satellite TV Listings is about the closest you are gonna get.

As far as the trees go, sometimes tall trees that look like they may be a problem turn out to be no problem at all since the arc is actually way above them, even though it looks like the lnb is aimed directly at them... tinker and tweak... try and try again.... figure out what works and stick with it, modify if needed.

Ah! The WAF factor! I see... SHE loves those house shows (you know, house renovations, house sells and all those kind of things) . Any suggestion on FTA (except This Old House), Tron?

Mastermesh, yes I know TitanTv... Great site.

Once again, thanks to all for the tips and the good words.

Well, RTN on G-10R is always a hit, there's plenty of programming that should appeal to the family (and the wife :) )... The PBS network content on AMC-3 (87w) should also be of interest.

Well, to make a follow-up, I bought the sg 2100, installed it and... it works!!! USALS and all... even with the distance... Don't ask me why or how. I just know that it works and I'm glad it does :)

Tron, yes, I watch RTN regularly (G10R is on a fixed dish). HER, not that much. We enjoy watching the French news on NY2 (AMC5)... PBS on AMC3... We used to have it on a fixed dish, way back (I had to chose between AMC5 and AMC3, though). SHE enjoys PBS Montana. But that one likes to play hard to get... And with the motor, I didn't yet find it... For the other PBS channels, I'm not equipped to hear them (the AC3 thing)...

Meanwhile, I discovered 97 W (G25?)... Some nice things in there...

Thanks again for the tips, guys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)