SG2100 help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BarneyBean

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
I have a viewsat extreme with a primestar dish and LNB connected to a SG2100 motor. The problem I'm having is the motor keeps going back and fourth as soon as you turn the power on. I did a factory default and it still keeps moving even during the default, the light is orange on the motor and I tried to reset it with a paper clip but nothing. I did post a while back that it had a few drips of water come out of the reset hole when I put the clip in it but it worked for a while after that. Is it time for a new motor?

Is it the single button SG2100 ? If you're feeling adventurous, there are parts available for that motor . You might want to open it up and peek at the circuit boards, see if they are corroded, wet, etc. Maybe just drying it out will fix it up. Or , you could simply order another motor, and THEN see if you can fix up the old one, as a spare.

Yes it is the single button type, I suppose I could open it what the heck its not working anyway

Disconnect the motor from the receiver and the LNBF from the motor. Connect 12 - 18VDC to the motor input and observe if the motor does the movement dance and/or if the LED displays orange / green/ solid/ flashing. Drive the motor to zero position and reset.

This test will help determine if the motor is responding to DiSEqC commands issued from the receiver or if the issue is with the motor.

Getting a new one I'm heading to Sadoun's site now. I see the SG2100 but also the Sadoun motors as well any suggestions? I belive the Saboun Power tech motors have metal gears which I like

I've heard that metal gears (like in the STAB, etc) are better in warmer areas, and the "engineered nylon" final gear motors are better in colder climates. Something to consider. My next motor ( I hope I never need one) will probably be a STAB hh100 .
:)

Winters are a bear here, the one thing I didnt like about the SG2100 was the mounting brackets. Its a pain to make small adjustments with the elevation also I noticed when I tightened down the mounting bracket that also would throw averything off.

Same with ALL the mounting brackets, I think. At least , both my hh90 and sg2100 have to be carefully tightened to keep the peak quality. I've tightened my hh90 bracket so much that it's starting to deform quite a bit. Not really a good situation.

Brentb636 I did a search on the STAB motors and The post I saw that had a picture in it, it was mounted upside down from waht the SG2100 is. Is that correct? They were also using a Primestar dish but it had the complete mounting hardware still on it. I got rid of all that to save weight.

I,m leaning towards it, I had the SG2100 for about 17 months and its done. Just looking to get a little more bang for the buck

It's a little more expensive, a bigger payload, I'd say, and a good warranty ( 3 years ) . If you had a three year warranty on the SG2100, Sadoun would be arranging a replacement, probably.
The nicest feature of the STAB motors is that they rarely get "confused". They have a sort of absolute encoder, so they always know the true south reference point, and know their location. They work very nicely with USALS .

Thanks for the input I appreciate it, I'm gonna order one tonight. I did read about how the motor "remembers" on Sadouns web site the 2100 did need to be "reminded" a few times.

They have a sort of absolute encoder, so they always know the true south reference point, and know their location.

That is a nice thing about the STAB motors, they never need to be reset to zero since they can't 'forget' where they are. That and the metal gears is the reason I went with the hh-90 over the sg-2100. The only problem with the hh-90 is that some dishes won't fit on it because the shaft doesn't extend as far forward before the bend as the sg-2100 does. The hh-100 and hh-120 avoid this problem by placing the shaft upwards.

I got the 120 they had a deal going with the adapter rings. Cant wait for the weekend

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts