SG2100 match to dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am piecing together my first satellite system for FTA. I'm excited, and this hobby reminds me of my old shortwave and ham radio days. :) Who knows what I'll find? :confused:

My question is, I plan to purchase the dish locally. I am looking for at least a 33" dish. I plan to mate it to an SG2100 motor control and a Fortec Ultra receiver. Will any dish that clamps to the same size pole as the stem on the SG2100 be suitable? Or does the dish have to be specifically made for motor rotation?

2nd question. I need to mount this system to my rooftop in order to get enough height above the trees and southerly neighbouring homes. What sort of bracket should I look for to sturdily mount it to a high pitch rooftop? I'd imagine a 33"+ dish gets really battered by the wind and I want to make sure the mount is up to the task. Should I make my own mount that would have a baseplate wide enough to hit the roof trusses?

Hello and WELCOME to the satelliteGuys.US FTA forum :welcome

The SG2100 has a 42 mm Dish mounting tube, that can be upgraded to a 50mm mounting tube, even dish with U-Bolts will work with it.

http://www.dmsiusa.com/sg2100.htm

http://www.dmsiusa.com/images/sg2100/tube50mm.jpg

A Winegard 31" dish is an exact fit for it and may be slightly better idea to combat wind fade (when teamed up with a super low noise LNBF). When these bigger dish are up high on a roof they do flex slightly and are best as low as possible pending the line of sight to the satellites of course. I would check all your angles to the satellites with an inclinometer to see if you REALLY need to go so high.

Most dish have a big enough foot to hit the rafter and some come with stabilizers. Its a good idea to install it on the down sloping side of the roof as it may hit the roof on the upward facing side after adding a motor. Have be caught out a few times by that!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)