SG2100 only moves when on H Transponder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vfrjim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
Rhode Island
SG2100 only moves when on H Transponder(SOLVED!)

I have been having problems with my SG2100 but finally narrowed it down to that it will not move reliably unless I am on a Horizontal Transponder. I even tried a different receiver and it acts the same way. Is this a problem with the SG2100? Any idea what I need to do to fix this? I even used a short run of cable and it acted the same way.

Jim

Last edited:
Are you using USALS to move the dish? If so, you could tell the STB to send the motor to ZERO, go out to the dish, make sure the motor is on ZERO and reset the motor.

This is just a thought, though. I have no idea of it will work or not.

Horizontal supplies 18 volts to the motor, and Vertical supplies 12 or 13 volts.
Sounds like you have a lot of friction in the system.

You got a big heavy dish or mount?
Can we see some pictures?
Is this only when at the east or west limits, or even when moving around your due south satellite?

There -is- a mod on the MyTheatre forum to add a separate 18..20 volt supply (surplus laptop supply is good) to the motor, that way it's got its own power supply and runs fast all the time.
Probably not the answer for your problem.

Another possibility, is that perhaps you have either a bad connection or too long of a cable run and this is increasing the DC resistance of the cable. At times of higher current draw, like when the motors trying to run, It would cause the voltage to drop lower, perhaps too low to run the motor when tuned to vertical (or 13v) transponders. You might think this would also cause LNB voltage issues also, but that's not necessarily the case as the LNB probably draws little current and therefore whenever only the LNB is drawing current the voltage drop would be much less and perhaps not cause issues.

disconnect your lnb's and see if the motor moves then ?

I had to switch to powered multiswitch's because sometimes I would get the same thing, only move on H.

too many lnbs and switch's for the ird to power all them AND the motor, hehe.

We are all trying to answer this question, but, I just realized that we have no idea of what the OP's setup is what equipment, what LNB's, Receivers, Switches, etc.

We really need more info on the current setup.

DMSI has a backlash adjustment procedure, in the attached pdf, which ALSO talks about motor binding, etc, from a mis-adjustment. It might be possible to adjust the screws and get your motor back to normal.

:)

Brent

Attachments

• Backlash%20Adjustment.pdf
    632.9 KB · Views: 405
I have multiple 22 khz switches in my system, but those are installed after the DisecQ so they (SHOULD) have no effect on movement of the motor. My dish is a relatively light dish, a 90 cm GeoSatPro and use to be 100% reliable when moving it a year ago. Since today is nice weather, I will remove the 22khz switches and verify connections and test it direct to see if that improves.

Brent, thanks for that. Hopefully I do not need to adjust since it is up 16' on a pole.

The current receiver that I am using is the Sonicview SV-8000HD but this acted the same with the coolsat 5000.

EDIT: LNB is a QPH-031

Last edited:
I have multiple 22 khz switches in my system, but those are installed after the DisecQ so they (SHOULD) have no effect on movement of the motor.

I'm not sure about that. If it's a current draw issue and if the disecQ switch continues to provide power to the inputs other than the one that's currently selected then indeed they could still be the issue. So, the question is does a disecQ switch normally continue to provide power to the unused inputs? I don't know enough about disecq switches to know the answer for certain, but I tend to think they do. Here's why I think they do. Often times it's possible to get some interference from signals coming into other ports on a disecQ switch unless it's a good one with pretty high isolation. That tells us it must be continuing to power the LNBs on those other ports even though they aren't selected. Otherwise I don't think youd be getting signal from them to interfere with your intended signal or at least the signal you would be getting would not be in the L band range (because the LO wouldn't be running without power). Anyway, if all the switches and LNBs are continuing to draw current then the current draw will cause a voltage drop in the resistance in between the voltage regulators in the receiver and the motor. The voltage drop will be equal to the current draw multiplied by the resistance. So as the current draw increases likewise does the voltage drop. The resistance is the sum of all resistance in the path of the current flow, and will include the resistance of the wire itself, contact resistance at connectors, and internal resistance in the voltage regulators providing the voltage. So, yes other switches, LNBs, etc even though they may be on other ports of your disecq switch could perhaps be causing a voltage drop that could be affecting your motor.

Last edited:
Solved!

Well, I found out my problem(s). I had a few loose connections, I had 2 In-Line amps that I removed, I removed (2) 22khz switches and replaced one with a better quality one and now everything is moving great. Will test it all week to make sure but it looks like those amplifiers were too much for the receiver to power up in addition to the SG2100 and disecQ. All is well now and thanks for all the suggestions!

Didn't know there were two inline amps... Those things usually cause more problems than they solve, and they do consume power.

I believe there are external power injectors which can help in situations where there are numerous line-powered devices in the mix, some people are having troubles with the computer-based PCI cards not putting out enough juice.

Didn't know there were two inline amps... Those things usually cause more problems than they solve, and they do consume power.

I believe there are external power injectors which can help in situations where there are numerous line-powered devices in the mix, some people are having troubles with the computer-based PCI cards not putting out enough juice.

I have wondered about this. Where does the PCI card get the 18volts to power the LNB? Highest supply tap off a PC power supply is 12volts.

It would use an up-converting switching regulator.
Some times they might use charge pump technology.
And the manufacturer builds a small one, to save costs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)