Motor Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badhat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Moses Lake, WA
I got a Digipower SG-2100 with a 50mm motor tube. Is there a special trick to getting this replacement motor tube to fit? I have the original tube off but the replacement tube doesn't line up enough to where I can get the bolt back through it.

Yeah stupid question. For $13 what should I expect right. I will just drill the hole in the tube just a little bit bigger tomorrow and hope all is good after that.

Heh... you said QC. Yeah I hate it when I post to forums then answer my own question. Must be because I am getting old. ^_^

I am kind of ticked off about this whole 50mm tube conversion for the SG-2100. I drilled out the hole bigger but still it doesn't quite line up correctly. I don't think it's close enough to even be usable. I think I am going to eat my $13 and abandon this idea and try adapting a DTV mount to my Primestar dish and go from there. That way I am at least using the original tube that came with the motor.

Maybe you just need a bigger hammer Just kidding, I've had about 6-8 of those 50mm tubes and about half of them had to be persuaded to work. None of them were off that far but then again it does'nt take much. Sounds like that's a real lemon you got there!

I skipped the big hammer part because I didn't want to damage the motor. I am almost done doing this directv mount modification... which I should have done to begin with. Another big plus is I even got to recycle some of the original bolts and nuts to save on cost. Well back out the door I go... it's after dark but I just have to drill two more holes. I want to have the motor mounted, signal peaked and ready to go tomorrow! :)

Pictures

Didn't take me too long to put together. Hope the pictures are good. Does it look like it will work?

Attachments

• mount_1.jpg
    mount_1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 147
  • mount_2.jpg
    mount_2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 116
  • mount_3.jpg
    mount_3.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 135
  • mount_4.jpg
    mount_4.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 131
Nice work! :up

Only issue I see is not being able to elevate the dish enough, When I did mine I turned the foot mount over, put the point you have up now down. I had to trim that end off too for clearance.

But where you live you might not need that much elevation.

But if it works, who am I to argue? :)

I did notice that I did that this morning. I am about to go out and give it a go. I will post back once I find out. :p

I did notice that I did that this morning. I am about to go out and give it a go. I will post back once I find out. :p

Let us know. :)

I did find out that the kind of setup you are using is no good for a 1m P*, only for the ovals, the 1m dish is just too heavy for a setup like that, it flexes all over...:)

Yeah I think I am finding that out. Are you talking about the angle iron or the mount I robbed from the directv dish? I think I might run down to home depot and get some pvc and use original mount if I completely fail with this setup.

Yeah I think I am finding that out. Are you talking about the angle iron or the mount I robbed from the directv dish? I think I might run down to home depot and get some pvc and use original mount if I completely fail with this setup.

The part you robbed from the Directv Dish. Just turn it over and bolt it back up. The arm attachment points on the D* bracket are what I had to cut off from mine for clearance. :)

Here ya go, I looked in my trash bin,er....PARTS PILE...yeah that's it....here's the bracket I used. I just cut it off, dressed it a bit with a file to remove the burrs, and shot a little rust oleum paint on it to ward off rust.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Yeah that's basically how I had it in the end. I wasn't able to quite get the elevation I needed... with the motor elevation set and the dish is almost pointed straight ahead here aiming at 119W for my true south. Anyhow.. I never did get fed up with any of this today... but I did finally give up and thought I would just screw around with the motor. But guess what... I could hear a click but no movement. Go figure... did I ever mention I have very bad luck? :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)