sg2100 with 4-port diseqc switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
I have my openbox s9 to a 4-port diseqc switch and use port #1 & #2 for c & ku from a cband 10 foot dish. I want to hook port #4 to a SG2100 H-H motor running a 3-foot ku dish with a 75ft of RG-6. Will this work? My SG-2100 sounds like it's starving for power when moving from satellite to satellite. Do I have other options to make this work other than the diseqc switch. I wonder if the 4-port switch is cutting down the power starving the motor? I need this to work in weather 0F and below. Thanks, Chad

The chance is high, you're turning the motor towards a vertical TP with 13V power, so it feels slow. Try to turn to a channel on a horizontal 18V TP to see if there's any speed difference.

I have my openbox s9 to a 4-port diseqc switch and use port #1 & #2 for c & ku from a cband 10 foot dish. I want to hook port #4 to a SG2100 H-H motor running a 3-foot ku dish with a 75ft of RG-6. Will this work? My SG-2100 sounds like it's starving for power when moving from satellite to satellite. Do I have other options to make this work other than the diseqc switch. I wonder if the 4-port switch is cutting down the power starving the motor? I need this to work in weather 0F and below. Thanks, Chad

how exactly do you have this wired?

is your 10 footer stationary or motorized?

if its stationary then run the line from your receiver directly into your SG2100 motor....the wire that comes out of the SG2100 motor goes into your diseqc switch then proceed from there hooking up your lnbs to the diseqc switch....

Chadg2,

I operated my H-H motors (SG-2100 and DG-280 / DG-380) through not only a DiSEqC 4X1 switch, but also through an SW-21 switch for several years without trouble. The worst problem I had was occasionally the motor would not move to another sat and I had to toggle between channels on different sats to get it to take off. I did not notice it being noticeably slow.

Now, this is not a recommended connection scheme as your entire motor current is going to go through your switch. This is not a reliable situation and could damage the switch itself. I believe that an Ecoda multi-switch would be more capable of this demand than a typical DiSEqC switch.

The better and more recommended method is to install the switches AFTER the motor and between the motor and the LNBFs. This probably defeats your plans or strategy in the same manner that it did for me and is why I routed my motor through the switches just to experiment (and found that it functioned sufficiently for me).

If you absolutely MUST wire your system in this fashion, than a different switch and possibly a change to RG-11 cable opposed to RG-6 might help further.

Beyond this, you must be certain that the weight of your dish is not overtaxing your motor and that your motor's backlash is not set too tight. Your motor could simply be overtaxed by these items and may have nothing to do with your switches. So, ensure that you check that possibility out as well.

Hope this gives you some stuff to chew on.

RADAR

thanks very much for the quick replys! I have a 10' motorized c/ku band dish with my 4dtv moving that one. a 3' motorized with a sg2100 moving that one. rg-6 out of openbox to rec. input of diseqc 4-port switch. port #1 to c-band, port #2 to Ku band(10foot) and port#3 not used & port #4 to sg2100 . should the sg2100 come with the backlash already set from factory, or does this unit have to be set for backlash? Thanks

Should the sg2100 come with the backlash already set from factory, or does this unit have to be set for backlash? Thanks

Normally this is preset to a satisfactory adjustment from the factory, but that is not a gaurantee. Manually adjusting this for NO SLOP in the gear train with the least current draw from the motor is what you should strive for.
Checking the current draw when the motor is slewing requires some technical knowledge. You need to split a section of the cable open (you can make up a short piece of cable with connector splices and taps for a meter) and insert an analog ammeter in series to do this.

RADAR

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts