SG2100 Won't Move at All (brand new motor)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
flyguyj said:
Just heard back from HyperMegaSat, and as of right now, they're only willing (barely) to give me a refund in the form of in-store credit, minus return shipping and a 10% restocking fee (hopefully they don't plan on restocking this motor). I guess I should have read their pretty narrow return-policy. I politely asked for a refund instead of in-store credit or an exchange, since apparently this particular brand is having problems, and I'm more than likely to get another one in exchange. Fingers crossed for a positive reply. Otherwise I'm hoping USAA will back me up if I take my complaint to them.

BOO!! I guess he likes selling stuff that he we not stand behind.

Bad customer service.

Treat people right. He should give a full refund and pay for return shipping if in fact it turns out to be bad. That's good customer service.

I'm sure if you tell him your planing a charge back he may change his mind but you should not have to do that.

Last edited:
OK. I will do this for you. Send it back and i will test it, and if it is defective as you say, i will refund your payment. Make sure to include a copy of this email and a copy of the original packing slip.
Thanks,

Casey

Well, I got this e-mail yesterday, so it looks like he's willing to make an exception. I think I will hook it up to the receiver with a short piece of coax today just to make sure, but 18v at 50' should still be 18v at 3 or 6 feet.....

I know the SG2100 works with the Micro. I've got the same setup except for the LNB. ;)

Hey Iceberg, on the MicroHD, under switch settings, should I have 22K to on or off? I've been leaving it set to off, but then I wondered if, since I'm using a twin Universal LNBF, should it be set to on? Doesn't the LNBF do switching itself?

If you are using a Universal you have 2 options

Change LNB LO to "Universal (9750/10600)" which turns the 22k to AUTO (greys it out) or
change to 10600 and turn the 22K on

Since the low band we dont use here in North America (except for a couple satellite over the Atlantic) the 2nd option speeds up the blind scan. It wont scan the low band (10700-11700) where there would be nothing

You would have to do that for each satellite

Well, I got this e-mail yesterday, so it looks like he's willing to make an exception. I think I will hook it up to the receiver with a short piece of coax today just to make sure, but 18v at 50' should still be 18v at 3 or 6 feet.....

I had a problem like this with an LNBF I bought from a different store. After many tests with different receivers, dishes,switches and replacing coax, I was 100% sure that the LNBF was defective and still under warranty . The company I bought it from (not hypermegasat) sent me the same e-mail.
I paid for the LNBF to be send back to the company. They checked it and found nothing wrong with the LNBF according to there e-mail. But to butter me up according to there e-mail, they send me a new LNBF anyway after I pay for the return shipment and they gave me 1 week to pay for it or I lose it all.
After i got the new LNBF, I did not have anymore problems.
It cost me almost as much sending that LNBF back and forth than buying a new one with an down-time of 3 weeks with my FTA.
The company lied to me so they can save on shipping cost, which they would had to pay if the LNBF would had been defective, per there warranty .
And yes, at least I got a new LNBF. I marked the old LNBF with very small marks inside out before I send it back to them. And why would a company send me a new LNBF if there was nothing wrong ?

At Satellite AV, we will make the same offer to send a new LNBF instead of returning the same if the customer pays the return shipping. Often a customer will insist that an item is defective and does not want the same item back, even when our testing indicates otherwise.

We typically will include both the original tested LNBF and the replacement when a customer feels that we are trying to pull a fast one and trying to pass unfair cost over to them.

It is just a good customer service offer!

I guess he likes selling stuff that he will not stand behind.
Bad customer service.
I've only heard good things about Hyper, over the years.

On the other hand , DMSI 2100 motors were embroiled in a big stink several years back.
Its all here on the forum.
They'd deny returns 'n repairs, and didn't own up to the fact they'd changed suppliers.
(and seemed to have a quality problem)
Maybe Hyper is caught in the middle if this is a DMSI.

Personally, I would never buy ANY current 2100-labeled motor, NOR one with the DMSI brand.
Both names have been tainted in my mind.

Anole said:
I've only heard good things about Hyper, over the years.

On the other hand , DMSI 2100 motors were embroiled in a big stink several years back.
Its all here on the forum.
They'd deny returns 'n repairs, and didn't own up to the fact they'd changed suppliers.
(and seemed to have a quality problem)
Maybe Hyper is caught in the middle if this is a DMSI.

Personally, I would never buy ANY current 2100-labeled motor, NOR one with the DMSI brand.
Both names have been tainted in my mind.

Tim was dumping them any reseller knows or should know their is a reason why they were so cheap. My point was hyper has to know they are bad and is still selling them.

And yes selling something you know is bad in my book is bad customer service.

But in all fairness not too many choices for resellers in the hh motor dept.

You don't know how good your dealer/reseller is until you have a problem anyone can ship a package.

Last edited:
You don't know how good your dealer/reseller is until you have a problem anyone can ship a package.

Well put. I never thought about it that way, but it's true. Just shove it in the mail and hope you never hear from the customer. No news is good news. Sounds a lot like eBay, too. Anyways, he was willing to refund my money, so that's good. The only reason I twisted his arm for a refund instead of an exchange, is because I didn't want to run the risk of getting other DMSI motor with the same problem. Went ahead and got a DG308B from Sadoun, but paid 25% of the cost of the motor in shipping alone. I guess if this was a bigger hobby, there would be more mainstream and competitive pricing. In the interim, I got the silly thing pointed to 97W after a couple days of cussing and drinking. Turns out, one of the two stretches of cable (both RG6 and same length) in the wall didn't play well with FTA. Swapped the FTA cable with the Dish Network cable, and now both work just fine. Kudos to Dish equipment for being more tolerant of lower quality cable!

So, it was user-error after all, and we're giving Hyper a fine old roasting.
This is one reason more dealers don't sell motors. :(

I just looked over the thread again.
I see we didn't recommend taking the receiver out to the dish.
That's a normal troubleshooting move.
And, it would have revealed the cable problem.

User error or not the motor still has the 2 degree error to the best of my knowledge.

I still stand 100% behind my statements user error or not that motor is junk and should not be sold if you want to build a lasting customer in my view.

I bought an openbox s9 from hyper he also has some 6 foot cband dishes priced right for sale too. I don’t care who you are if a user makes a post about hardware that is bad (2 degree error) before it leaves the factory and someone is selling I’m calling them out on it. People work hard for their money.

Last edited:
Okay, I scanner the thread one more time.
Unless the thread was edited/moderated, I don't think the op mentioned a 2 degree error.

But we can all agree to be cautious about 2100's from DMSI. ;)

Not user error. Motor still won't budge manually with 18v input.

I think flyguy was saying that the dish (fixed) on 97W works with one cable but not the other.
Bob

I picked up a new SG-2100 from HyperMegasat a couple months ago, to pair with my GeosatPro 90cm. This SG-2100 has worked exceptionally well . My previous SG-2100, from several years ago, was a piece of junk in comparison. The SG-2100 seems to be a "crapshoot" on whether you get a good one or not. Who knows how many people make the "genuine" SG-2100 . :?

brentb636 said:
I picked up a new SG-2100 from HyperMegasat a couple months ago, to pair with my GeosatPro 90cm. This SG-2100 has worked exceptionally well . My previous SG-2100, from several years ago, was a piece of junk in comparison. The SG-2100 seems to be a "crapshoot" on whether you get a good one or not. Who knows how many people make the "genuine" SG-2100 . :?

Usals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.