SG2100 Won't Move at All (brand new motor)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyguyj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
Hey guys! Please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, but I felt it didn't belong in the MicroHD forum, since the receiver seems to be working (and it's awesome by the way).

I finally took the plunge and ordered all my equipment to get going with FTA for the first time, and have read, searched, read some more, but can't find any answers! My SG2100 is getting power, indicated by the solid green light, but neither the receiver nor the manual buttons will move the dish! I'm about to pull my hair out! I have it installed on and absolutely PERFECTLY plumb mast (no kidding), and painstakingly pointed it as due south as I can get it, and very meticulously adjusted elevation and declination.

Can anyone help a total newbie out? Here is my exact setup:

microhd receiver (latest firmware)
Winegard 76cm dish
Universal linear LNB from HyperMegaSat
SG2100 motor from HyperMegaSat
less than 75ft coax run (relatively sure, but not 100%) of ALL RG6

The motor came preset to zero, and the receiver has limits disabled. I don't know what else to do. What would cause the motor to not move- even manually??

Hey guys! Please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, but I felt it didn't belong in the MicroHD forum, since the receiver seems to be working (and it's awesome by the way).

I finally took the plunge and ordered all my equipment to get going with FTA for the first time, and have read, searched, read some more, but can't find any answers! My SG2100 is getting power, indicated by the solid green light, but neither the receiver nor the manual buttons will move the dish! I'm about to pull my hair out! I have it installed on and absolutely PERFECTLY plumb mast (no kidding), and painstakingly pointed it as due south as I can get it, and very meticulously adjusted elevation and declination.

Can anyone help a total newbie out? Here is my exact setup:

microhd receiver (latest firmware)
Winegard 76cm dish
Universal linear LNB from HyperMegaSat
SG2100 motor from HyperMegaSat
less than 75ft coax run (relatively sure, but not 100%) of ALL RG6

The motor came preset to zero, and the receiver has limits disabled. I don't know what else to do. What would cause the motor to not move- even manually??

Um, I would say perhaps its one from the last batch of bad one's DMSI was dumping. I would return it if you can. (Just my two cents)

check that you are getting adequate power on the coax line at the motor from the receiver. If approximately 13vdc on a vertical transponder or 18vdc on a horizontal, then the motor has enough voltage to move. If the manual buttons don't move the motor, then I agree with wallyhts and RMA the motor with the seller.

Check that you are getting adequate power on the coax line at the motor from the receiver. If approximately 13vdc on a vertical transponder or 18vdc on a horizontal, then the motor has enough voltage to move. If the manual buttons don't move the motor, then I agree with wallyhts, RMA the motor with the seller.

I just checked, and it's right in the neighborhood of 17.65-17.95v

What rout does your coax take to the motor?
Start with the LNBF and go all the way to the receiver and tell us what is between.... switches etc.
Can you give us data and settings on the setup screen?
If you use a switch, what kind.
Name of LNB...single or dual output ?

Yeah I would RMA the motor. Your voltage is good.

Sorry - I completely left that out. There is nothing but RG6 between the receiver and motor. The LNB is a JSC322-2 Universal Twin Output LNB from HyperMegaSat(cut & paste from order confirmation). Motor/Switch setting screen:

97W (ku)
LNB LO = 9750
DiSEqC 1.0 = Disabled
DiSEqC 1.1 = Disabled
22k = Off
Motor Type = USALS
Motor Position = 0

If you want an SG-2100 I would only buy the MOTECK digipower one. To the best of my knowledge the DMSI model was made in china and the other unit was made in taiwan.

I'm not picking on Tim I'm just telling what I feel is the truth.

Good One

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    934.5 KB · Views: 243
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 220
Unit I would Pass On

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 199
Are you sure you don't maybe have the coax swapped on the motor to the wrong sides? One side is from the receiver, and the other side goes to the lnb.

I just had a DG380 delivered today from Sadoun. The only thing I didn't like is that they didn't put it in an outer box. They simply taped shut the shelf box, slapped a label on it and shipped it. The box is all beat to Hell, and looks like it was sitting in water for a while. However, everybody says they are great motors, so hopefully all is well.

Are you sure you don't maybe have the coax swapped on the motor to the wrong sides? One side is from the receiver, and the other side goes to the lnb.

Haha yea...I only laugh because after messing with it for a half hour or so, that thought finally occurred to me. It's definitely good!

Ok, try this: Push in one of the manual buttons, and at the same time try "helping" the dish to move by pushing or pulling on it a bit. Maybe there's a stuck limit switch inside, and once you get it to move (if possible) it'll clear itself and keep working. I guess it's worth trying anyway.

Ok, try this: Push in one of the manual buttons, and at the same time try "helping" the dish to move by pushing or pulling on it a bit. Maybe there's a stuck limit switch inside, and once you get it to move (if possible) it'll clear itself and keep working. I guess it's worth trying anyway.

Good idea. But I think you would still have the 2 degree error and also the thinner plate which would thru you off plum if tightened too much. I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure.

Well, I ended up going with a DG380B from Sadoun. Shipping was pretty outrageous, but hopefully it gets here fast! Also hoping HyperMegaSat will be cool about taking back the SG2100, but haven't heard back from them yet this morning.

flyguyj said:
Well, I ended up going with a DG380B from Sadoun. Shipping was pretty outrageous, but hopefully it gets here fast! Also hoping HyperMegaSat will be cool about taking back the SG2100, but haven't heard back from them yet this morning.

Have to ask what was the shipping cost? (If you feel I'm off the mark for asking sorry)

Not at all! It was $19.xx ....close to $20. I guess it's a heavy motor, but so many companies (big and small) across the internet are offering such competitive shipping prices. It just seems abnormal now when you get zapped for $20.

Just heard back from HyperMegaSat, and as of right now, they're only willing (barely) to give me a refund in the form of in-store credit, minus return shipping and a 10% restocking fee (hopefully they don't plan on restocking this motor). I guess I should have read their pretty narrow return-policy. I politely asked for a refund instead of in-store credit or an exchange, since apparently this particular brand is having problems, and I'm more than likely to get another one in exchange. Fingers crossed for a positive reply. Otherwise I'm hoping USAA will back me up if I take my complaint to them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts