sg6000 quits working

Status
Please reply by conversation.

quasimodem

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Marlow, New Hampshire
My motor stopped working last night. We had quite a downpour for most of the night but I can't imagine this caused the problem. This motor has only been in service for a couple of months...
I tried moving it with the manual button.
The green light is on, but blinks red twice every few seconds when I have the receiver try to move it.
Right now, it's stuck on my farthest east satellite at around 60 degrees west. (at least I have PBS feeds to watch).
Any suggestions (other than shoot it) will be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
~Q

Check you cable connections for water or corrosion, re-do possibly.
Check motor setting in the receiver.
Reset the motor.

have you powered off the receiver with the switch and turned back on?

I would try and rerun just a temporary cable to see if its something in the cable

If none of the suggestions work which are good ones and the motor is out of guarantee (sounds like is fairly new) if you are a little bit handy I tell you what I found out with my sg2100 the motor quit on me (3 years old) so no guarantee.
I took it apart careful when doing this just so you know how the cam gear positioning . I took the gears including the worm gear out and re-greased everything really well ( just spraying wd-40 was not good enough) and I put the motor back together and has been working well for almost 6 months. Of course if you have an electrical problem like relays is a different issue. I had access to a 20V supply so was able to power it on the work bench . The biggest problem was I had to drill out 3 of the heads of the screws on the case they stripped out on me but I found the replacements at ACE.
Hope you got it going by now

have you powered off the receiver with the switch and turned back on?

I would try and rerun just a temporary cable to see if its something in the cable

thanks Iceberg and all-
I did power off the receiver (this was the first thing that I did) and disconnect the coax for an hour or so...and I tried a short lead on the roof.
I've also tried bumping the motor east then west but I believe it's frozen.
The cable is all very new also, it was a complete new install only a couple months ago.
I've contacted the vendor and am waiting for reply...
I'm thinking that another motor might be in order. The newer version of the sg6000 caught my eye, the one with all metal gears (sg9121).
thanks again for the help....

My 6 month old SG6000 stopped working last week. The temps have been around 0-10 F for the last few weeks. I still have the green light on, but it just clicks when I push the buttons on the motor.

I bought the 6000 because everything that I read said they were more than powerful enough for my 1 meter dish. I hope that the cold didn't kill it.

I'll be contacting the vendor soon.

Thanks for all of the suggestions that you gave quasimodem to try. I tried them all too.

Norman

huh....my SG2100 has worked great through...lemme see......6 MN winters now.

Hope it makes it through this winter ;)
(gotta go shovel around the motorized dishes) :)

Update

It warmed up to 18 F today, so I climbed on the roof and took down my dish and SG6000 motor.

It is working fine inside the house.

I'm going to leave it outside on the porch tonight and test it there in the morning.

It was working fine at -10 F a few weeks ago.

???
Norman

My SG2100 stopped working twice, the first time , water got inside a connector and after it was replaced, all was back to normal, the second time, I had to manually set the motor to 0 and do a reset, then I had to go into my antenna settings and remove my Lat and Lon settings in USALS on all my satellites and reboot the receiver, then re-input my Lat and Lon in the USALS on all my satellites, after that all was again working fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)