Sharing a 501 S-Video/audio Over Coax - Can it be done?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
I currently have my dish feeds (3 in place but only currently using 2) run from my dish to a wiring closet I set up in the center of the house. I also have an OTA antenna feed that also runs to the closet. From this closet I have 3 coax cables that run to the family room where my Sony 53" is located, and 1 each to the master bedroom, the guest bedroom, and my home office.

For the family room, I use one of the coax cables that is connected to one of the satellite cables to feed a 501 that is connected to the Sony using s-video & audio cables. I use 1 of the other coax cables to feed the OTA feed to the Sony, and the last coax is connected to the Sony in the family room and to signal splitter back in the closet that connects to a 2800. The signal splitter in the closet also feeds the coax cables to the master bedroom, guest bedroom, and the office. This setup gives me PIP on the Sony and satellite service in all the other rooms (all have to watch the same thing).

Next week I will be having a new 811 installed in the family room, so I want to move the 501 into the closet, replacing the 2800. The only problem I have with this is that the picture quality I get when I currently watch a show on the Sony 53" via the 2800 (coax connection) is kind of on the grainy side compared to the s-video PQ.

My question is this, once I move the 501, is there a way I can convert the s-video and audio from the 501 so it goes down the coax, then un-convert it in the family room so I can use s-video and audio to connect it to the Sony so I get a better picture and sound?

hemway said:
My question is this, once I move the 501, is there a way I can convert the s-video and audio from the 501 so it goes down the coax, then un-convert it in the family room so I can use s-video and audio to connect it to the Sony so I get a better picture and sound?

I know Terk makes a unit that converts audio/video into phone line then back, but not coax. I dont think there is such an animal available, and if there was once you used the coax for signal transfer your "better picture" would be lost.

Thanks Wizard, thats what I thought. Maybe I'll leave the 501 in the family room and install a pair of di-plexers on the coax that will be feeding the 501 and feed the RF output back down the coax and split it out to the other rooms. PQ on those is a little more forgivng then the big screen.

You can get S-Video and Audio cables in long lengths.

I have 25 feet cables and get good results.

Also there are S-Video amps to boost and run more than one S-video from a single source.

Of course these cables are fairly large and most people would want to run them out of sight.

retiredTech said:
You can get S-Video and Audio cables in long lengths.

I have 25 feet cables and get good results.

Also there are S-Video amps to boost and run more than one S-video from a single source.

Of course these cables are fairly large and most people would want to run them out of sight.

Pretty sure Hemway was looking to use the exsisting coax aready ran in his house. If I am wrong and you would want to run new cables go for it. monster has a 100' s-video series II($100) that works great at that length. anything longer and you will loose color signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)