Sharing VOOM channels with SD TVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yankov

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
I'm getting new VOOM install next Tuesday for 1 HD receiver.
In addition to my HDTV set in the living room I have two SD sets in the bedrooms. I have existing cable wiring in the house that I will no longer use as I will cancel my cable after I get successful installation of VOOM.
My goal is to have SD channels show on both SD TVs with the ability to pick channels separately on each of these TVs while Im watching HD in the living room.
What kind of setup/equipment do I need to use?

If all inputs are active on the box ....Why can't he use a long long composite or long long S video cable connecting the other two tv's. :D :D :D

You could do that, but you wouldn't get to watch different channels on those TV's.

And it would be a real bitch changing channels :) :)
Unless you bought one of the RF-remote repeaters.

Lob

Lobstah said:
And it would be a real bitch changing channels :) :)
Unless you bought one of the RF-remote repeaters.
That's exactly what that "Thin Client" approach announced by VOOM is for: you would leave your main STB (with 4 built-in tuners) in one room and would switch channels in another room through that small client box, which works as a repeater...

I used a transmitter with D* for years . I was so cheap that we only used one reciever and it worked fine. ( That was when D* didn't have ota channels on satillite. My bill was only $24 back then...But now I have Voom and D* until august contract expires.) It will work and change channels also....but I don't use it any more....Its going to the May garage sale with all of the other 3 D* recievers. HD=Voom

pdqbobe said:
It will work and change channels also...
Does it work with VOOM? Have you tried? What brand is it?

Ilya said:
Does it work with VOOM? Have you tried? What brand is it?

I have not tried it with Voom but I will try it this weekend and let you know..As to what brand I'm not sure I bought it from Best Buy back in 95 . I think I paid $19. for it but it still works...You want believe what I spent on my HD setup since last year...but I am glad I did...Hd is the only way to go. :D

The RCA RF transmitter does work with Voom. I still have mine set up that way. The Voom box also has coax out, so I just used my old cable company wiring to run the line to my other two TVs.

-John

Doesn't VOOM have an input jack on the back for an RF remote? Like the old GI units?

Ilya said:
That's exactly what that "Thin Client" approach announced by VOOM is for: you would leave your main STB (with 4 built-in tuners) in one room and would switch channels in another room through that small client box, which works as a repeater...
Ilya, can you please tell more about this "Thin Client" approach.
When will it be available?
What will be the charge?

Another solution

I just came up with another solution for sharing VOOMs programs between TVs without renting second receiver from VOOM.
Since I have TIVO 2 with Network card, all I need is to buy another TIVO 2 with Network card ( at least $200) for second room and then get Home Media Option for $59 from TIVO, and then there is a monthly charge or a lifetime TIVO subscription. This will allow me to output recoded VOOM programs to a second TV. But this willl only make sense when TIVO starts supporting VOOM...if it makes sence at all.

yankov said:
Ilya, can you please tell more about this "Thin Client" approach. When will it be available? What will be the charge?
You can read about it here and here. Availability - hopefully this year. Price - anyone's guess...

yankov said:
I just came up with another solution for sharing VOOMs programs between TVs without renting second receiver from VOOM.
Since I have TIVO 2 with Network card, all I need is to buy another TIVO 2 with Network card ( at least $200) for second room and then get Home Media Option for $59 from TIVO, and then there is a monthly charge or a lifetime TIVO subscription. This will allow me to output recoded VOOM programs to a second TV. But this willl only make sense when TIVO starts supporting VOOM...if it makes sence at all.
Why go through all that trouble? ;) You can rent the extra boxes for
$9.50\month each and a $5.00 miror fee per box.

wasch_24 said:
Why go through all that trouble? ;) You can rent the extra boxes for
$9.50\month each and a $5.00 miror fee per box.

OK - what does 'mirror fee' mean? Is that just service for the added box?

bbtkd said:
OK - what does 'mirror fee' mean? Is that just service for the added box?
The mirror fee is what Voom charges to send the programming package that you choose to the other boxes instead of charging you the full price per box i.e. VavaVoom $79.99 three times becomes $79.99+$5+$5.

occammd said:
Doesn't VOOM have an input jack on the back for an RF remote? Like the old GI units?
Voom unit does have a connection on the back for a UHF antenna. Took mine off my 4dtv box a couple of weeks ago and mounted on the V* box. No luck!

FAYRICH said:
Voom unit does have a connection on the back for a UHF antenna. Took mine off my 4dtv box a couple of weeks ago and mounted on the V* box. No luck!

That's not active yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)