Sharp Booth

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1389145101.617293.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1389145133.304306.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1389145177.789720.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1389145202.827478.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1389145236.563011.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1389145269.466916.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1389145367.524188.jpg

Sharp is playing games with 1080p+ screens that use sub pixels to try to deliver more resolution than 1080p. So, if you give it a 4k input you get better than 1080p, but not 4k.

It is like the games of when HD came out and they were passing off 480p and 720p as "HD", so then they started to claim full 1080p HD. I expect this Sharp technology to go away in a year, they will probably be sued in some class action for misleading advertising.

I may have a Sharp LC-70SQ15U around the 30th, and Chad B will be here to calibrate. Its the "kinda 4K" model LOL, but is getting good reviews. The UQ is a bit more but I do not think the $$$ is worth the difference because neither are true 4k, and the UQ mainly adds the super bright tech.

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models/LC70SQ15U.aspx

PANEL SPECIFICATIONS
Q+ Technology: Yes
Quattron™ Technology: Yes
Revelation™ Upscaler: Yes
Display Panel Type: LCD
Backlight Type-Source: LED-Edge Lit
Effective Resolution: Up to 3840 x 2160
Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080, Full HD
Subpixels: 16 million
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 8,000,000:1
Refresh Panel Rate : 240Hz
Refresh Scanning Rate: —
Super Bright: —
4K Input: Yes (4K/30fps)

Sharp’s proprietary Q+ technology divides each subpixel in two, resulting in 16 million subpixels on the TV – an astounding 10 million more than Full HD – to give you more detail, depth, and color (extra green and yellow sub pixels).

Will update if/when everything happens.

Because it is a "swap" and I have no intention of buying anything new display wise until 2016, especially nothing UHD/OLED.

This is not a UHD based purchase anyways, I have no intention of worrying with any of that this year because I do not intend on a new AVR any time soon either. I figure 2016 will be a good time to look at player, AVR and display. Hopefully OLED is reduced to something bearable for a 70".

VT.

Hey, I was looking at settings, did you use Film mode Standard? It says it refreshes each frame (24hz) equally, where Advanced seemed to have a slider to increase dejudder. Seems like the Standard is 5:5 pulldown or whatever it is for a 240hz panel and the Advanced is getting into SOE.

Interested in hearing how this will compare to your plasma. For my sharp, I use ISF. All processing is off including film mode.

S~

Ah.

I thought Film Mode was related directly to 24p processing, but maybe Im wrong. Id figure off would mean the display was performing 3:2 pulldown, but not sure. Like I said, I do know advanced has a 1-10 setting for dejudder, but that is not something I would use.

For standard the manual says:

Film Mode (3:2 pulldown)

Off - Normal
Standard - Plays back images with equal display time for each from, reproducing the movie theater experience
Advanced - Adjusts effects from 0-10 to reduce judder

I assumed Standard was like 96hz mode on the VT.

With the 844, I found that Film Mode caused motion problems. General consensus was for it to be off. As for aquamotion, I use off, but many use 120 low on the Sharps.

S~

Gotcha. I also notice things have changed a little in the last couple of years. S&V and Cnet both used Film Mode Standard. Ill have to just vet it with some test discs and figure out what the hell is going on. It is easy with some patterns to tell what is adding artificial frames and what is not. I have no problem with a good refresh rate or backlight scanning, but do not care for frame interpolation.

There shall be no trade. Blacks just aint even close side to side, worse than I thought. Video processing of Q+ craps on fine resolution, so that had to be turned off as well as many other things. Chad spent over 5 hours on it to get two modes right. We watched the armored car chase of Dark Knight and it looks good, but the after calibration CMS points show issues with the color decoder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts