Sharp didn’t forget VHS, now marries it with Blu-ray

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
WTF?? :tux:

CrunchGear Archive Sharp didn’t forget VHS, now marries it with Blu-ray

In Japan, Sharp today announced [JP] the release of the Aquos BD-HDV22, a combination of a Blu-ray and a VHS recorder. Yes, VHS. The device goes on sale November 25 and will cost $1,500 (at this point, availability outside Japan is unknown).

Next to copying their VHS tapes to Blu-ray discs, users are able to record TV programs and videos stored in the HDD (capacity: 250 GB) in these two formats. In addition to VHS, the BD-HDV22 supports BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW and DVD-R DL discs.

Sharp plans to produce 10,000 units of its new Blu-ray/VHS recorder per month. The company will also roll out the BD-HD22, a Blu-ray only recorder (apart from that it’s identical to the BD-HDV22), on October 20 for $1,100.

Price makes sense for professional VHS->BD stuff, but not much else. Mom just bought a new VHS/DVD deck because all of our home videos are on VHS and she's started converting them over.

To have a BD with every family Christmas on it would be neat, maybe it will be affordable in 6-7 years.

I think the included DVR functionality accounts for most of that price; although elwaylite is probably right in thinking that professionals will probably benefit most from a combo setup like this. Either way, it would be awesome to have all your old home movies on a single disc! The real question is how many VHS tapes would it take to copy a single Blu-Ray movie :p
---
I've been working with Warner Home Video on some projects, so if you have any Blu-Ray questions, feel free to ask.

This is old news. Honestly I wouldn't even waste a DL DVD on a VHS tape much less a BD-R.

Offtopic:
BluFan, tell Warner they owe HD DVD owners Shawshank Redemption and the next 3 Harry Potter movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)