Shaw Direct HDPVR 630

What are g1 feeds?

For me with 5xx series, it sounds like I drop the service in 2012 as I have no intentions of shelling out agai; I already had to pay $200 to upgrade from 500 to 505 last year and 2 years later they want yet another upgrade to 605? No way.

DJdish said:
Where are you getting that ? There was another thread about it here wihtout indicating the source/context. :confused:

He's referencing earlier in the thread, which was referring (I'm assuming) to Anik G1, the new sat going up at 107 next year.

I think Anik G1 is scheduled for launch Dec. 7 2012, at least that is what is on lyngsat.

I highly doubt that Shaw will change any of the "No Extra Charge" F1R/F2 HD feeds to MPEG4 in the for see able future. It would cost them too much to upgrade all the cable head end IRDs.

What I see happening is that they would change the NFLST/NHLCI/Big 10 non remapped feeds to MPEG4 and perhaps the HD Sports/HD Extra channels. They would probably offer a deal such as 605 for $149 plus $10/month off programming costs for a number of months.

As for G1, it will be used for the HD feeds of the 300 series SD feeds + some of the 500s. (Plus extra CTV/CBC SD feeds if forced by the CRTC)

So for by far the majority of HD subs, no upgrade is required unless more HD channels are desired.

I think the big question before upgrading is, will Shaw pull a Bell, and will we be out of the footprint here in the Southern US when the new bird goes up?

Yes, that is a huge question for everyone with SD in the USA and Mexico.

I hated the 530's 2.5 day guide and the single tuner for recording so I bought two 630s. It will still be a little over 2 years before G1 is launched and we really need to worry.

Last edited:
I think the big question before upgrading is, will Shaw pull a Bell, and will we be out of the footprint here in the Southern US when the new bird goes up?

The Extended Ku band frequencies are NOT authorized by the F.C.C. for satellite only service.

SBS makes their money through signal transport fees, so it's in their best interests to keep Toronto/Montreal/Seattle/Detroit/Sports HD feeds on F1R/F2.

I suspect that when enough 6XXs are installed, they will start the F1R/F2 migration to MPEG4 for HD and continue the SD change to 8PSK. Shaw will have the ability to deliver 120 HD feeds in MPEG4, 160 in DVB-S2 from F1R/F2.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having a problem with the 630 losing program guide data? The data seems to reload fairly quickly but I have no idea what's going on. This has happened several times with no power interruptions. Also we leave the receivers 0n 299 or a non highdef channel.

Is anyone else having a problem with the 630 losing program guide data?
Yes - most of the problems associated with the 630 are due to corrupt guide data. Pull power cord for a few minutes to flush the old guide data out completely.

If this does not solve the problem, a Master Reset maybe required.

Last edited:
Option 6-4-9-8-8 gets you to the service menu.

Option 6 is Factory Reset. You'll need to re-authorize your receiver after you do, either online or by calling SD.

I just recently purchased a 630 and two 605 Star Choice Receivers. I was using the larger grey 505 receivers on my TVs and the picture quality was far superior to the new 605 and 630s. I spent over half an hour with the second level technical assitance people through star Choice attempting to resolve the clarity problems I was experiencing on all my new receivers using HDMI cables. The short answer is that the tech apologized for the poor quality the new 605 and 630's were displaying (he noticed it himself) and offered to email me when the receivers would be upgraded in a month or so. I went back to the older 505 receivers and component cables whcih again gave me the BEST quality picture without blurry imagery and am returning the new receivers back to best buy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)