Shaw Direct set up

I may have made a typo. It's been a while, so I might have meant 11770 vertical. See "The List" link at top of page. If I get a chance, I'll do a fresh scan of 111 W with a FTA box

Just did a fresh scan. Only got channels on 11770 V. There were two other hot transponders active, they may be data.

11873V 10007SR
11859V 10140SR

OK, I did two installations for Shaw Direct in Belize.
It's even working fine on a approx. 32" oval dish, standard equipment; both satellites come in quite good.

I was looking for switches, setup etc. for Shaw but no avail.
Q: I am using a 630PVR with 2 antenna inputs connecting to 2 single output lnbs (for Anik F1 and Anik F2).
Is there a combiner and splitter ?

When using the 630DVR, you need to have separate independent 2-output LNBFs and 2 22-KHz switches. Trying to use a splitter will often cause logic problems with the 630 receiver. LNBFs such as the Pansat PT-5900 Twin would be recommended in your situation.

I was looking for switches, setup etc. for Shaw but no avail.
Q: I am using a 630PVR with 2 antenna inputs connecting to 2 single output lnbs (for Anik F1 and Anik F2).
Is there a combiner and splitter ?

Ok, let me ask differently.

Shaw Direct:
* I have two single LNBs (for 111W and 107W)
* The two signals can be combined with a Diseqc Switch 2X1. Correct ?
* My PVR has two receivers, therefore I need two (2) antenna inputs.
* I have a 200 to 250ft long cable run.
* can I split the signal/single cable again with a switch to feed both antenna inputs ?
Or, will I need to purchase two Dual LNBs and use two long cable runs for the 2 inputs?

Thanks !

p.s. I assume that the Dishnetwork Separator will not work but only FTA switches.

Last edited:
The best solution would be TWO 2-output Ku-band LNBFs, each of the 10750 MHz local oscillator type. (Assuming you are configured for last year's Quad LNBF logic instead of the new Xtended Ku-Band Quad LNBF setup used on almost all new activations).

Separate wires for each input are required. 22 KHz switch (not a DiSEqC switch) required between 107 and 111 LNBF for each receiver.

Ok, let me ask differently.

Shaw Direct:
* I have two single LNBs (for 111W and 107W)
* The two signals can be combined with a Diseqc Switch 2X1. Correct ?
* My PVR has two receivers, therefore I need two (2) antenna inputs.
* I have a 200 to 250ft long cable run.
* can I split the signal/single cable again with a switch to feed both antenna inputs ?
Or, will I need to purchase two Dual LNBs and use two long cable runs for the 2 inputs?

Thanks !

p.s. I assume that the Dishnetwork Separator will not work but only FTA switches.

The best solution would be TWO 2-output Ku-band LNBFs, each of the 10750 MHz local oscillator type. (Assuming you are configured for last year's Quad LNBF logic instead of the new Xtended Ku-Band Quad LNBF setup used on almost all new activations).

Separate wires for each input are required. 22 KHz switch (not a DiSEqC switch) required between 107 and 111 LNBF for each receiver.

alternatively, a 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch instead of two separate 2x1 switches would allow for the addition of receivers in the future.

thank you for the info.

1.) So there is no way around that I will have to run one long cable per receiver: two 200 ft long cables for a dual receiver.

Right ?

2.) "(Assuming you are configured for last year's Quad LNBF logic instead of the new Xtended Ku-Band Quad LNBF setup used on almost all new activations)."

I will be using two lnbs: one for 111W and one for the 107W. I am not configured at all. I just have a brand new Shaw receiver (not yet activated), a dish and 2 single output standard linear Ku LNBs.

3.) My sat dish is 200 feet away. I guess there is no way to avoid a two-cable run for 2 receivers (dual receiver). Correct ?

4.) I also have an old Fortec Star Universal Twin LNB FSKU-2V
Will that work ?
5.) I can also get a Invacom QPH-031. will that work for Shaw Direct ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
You can use one cable, but not on a OEM type setup. I run two 630 and one 530 receiver off one cable from a 10ft mesh dish and feedhorn with C/Ku Norsat LNB's with a splitter behind receivers with the one KU cable connected to and then short cables running to all the inputs on the receivers. Polarity changed on feedhorn by a 4dtv receiver or a GI 350 receiver With this setup you can only watch one polarity at a time and the channels that are on that polarity, for me this has never been a issue. Movie channels are typically all on one polarity and networks ABC,CBS are on another 99% of time I am only on F2 satellite. SIMSUB where they overwrite a USA program feed with a CDN feed of same can be a issue on 630's but not 530, as it will cut program in and out. But you soon learn that you have to watch or record those programs on the 530 or watch latter on different time zone feed Worked well for me for many years

Thanks for the info.
7ninty, that sounds too complicated for me.

I guess I will have to purchase two dual LNBs and run 2 cables for the dual receiver.

Q: I also have an old Fortec Star Universal Twin LNB FSKU-2V
Will that work ?
I can also get a Invacom QPH-031. will that work for Shaw Direct ?

Thanks, Wolfgang

I cannot complete the 2 LNB set up for Shaw Direct on 6 foot dish.
I am using 2 linear single Ku Lnbs. In the center of the arms I quickly found good reception (98 of 100 on a DSR300 receiver) for digital channels on 111W.

Both Lnbs are combined with a 2x1 Diseqc switch.
I have put the other Lnb for 107W slightly lower and to the outside (where the arch reaches towards the bottom) about 2 inches further West. I have tried several positions with no avail.
I am using about a 45 percent skew on both lnbs.

Is the switch ok ?

Thanks !

I am using 2 linear single Ku Lnbs. In the center of the arms I quickly found good reception (98 of 100 on a DSR300 receiver) for digital channels on 111W.

I have put the other Lnb for 107W slightly lower and to the outside (where the arch reaches towards the bottom) about 2 inches further West. I have tried several positions with no avail.

Is the switch ok ?

Thanks !

You cannot use a diseqc switch. Shaw uses 22khz switch tones to switch between satellites. If this is unrelated to your 630 posts, then just get an ecoda 22khz 2x1 switch. They work well and are inexpensive.

Catamount

Last edited:

Is the switch ok ?

Thanks !

As commented above you need a 22khz switch, I would also vote for Ecoda, I could have sworn I was using one in my setup but now that I´m checking on my loss of signal issue, I found I´m using a DMS International,

I also experimented on catching both sats on my 1.8 meter dish, using a multi bracket and I was able to do it, but because at the time I did not have the same maximum signal on Anik 1 as I did on a separate 1.2 meters I didn´t keep that set up, as I remember the lnb for Anik 1 was to the west and I think higher, I seem to remember there is a formula for calculating the distance from the main lnb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)