Shaw Direct trouble hitting second Sat.

PDCFan

Original poster
Apr 26, 2019
Cochrane AB
I recently installed a Shaw Direct 60cm dish on a tripod
I have 97% signal on T1 and great reception. I tuned this using 299.
I have very fluctuating signal on the second satellite and it won't lock in.

Can anyone suggest things I can try to get the second Satellite locked onto the satellite?

I have been adjusting with the skew, but I can't get it to keep a steady signal.

BTW, this is a new dish purchase for my RV

Thanks !

I recently installed a Shaw Direct 60cm dish on a tripod
I have 97% signal on T1 and great reception. I tuned this using 299.
I have very fluctuating signal on the second satellite and it won't lock in.

Can anyone suggest things I can try to get the second Satellite locked onto the satellite?

I have been adjusting with the skew, but I can't get it to keep a steady signal.

BTW, this is a new dish purchase for my RV

Thanks !

I'm wondering the problem could be that being a new dish, I set the skew prior to installing the dish on the tripod.

Should the first satellite be locked in with the skew at 90 degrees and then set the dish pointer suggested skew for the other satellites?

dishpointer.com gives these numbers for Jumping Pound:

Az: 159.5deg (magnetic)
El: 31.3deg
Sk: 86.4deg (the East side of the dish should be lower than the West)

As close as the skew is to 90, you may be picking up the satellite you're getting on the wrong side of the feed horn and you need to adjust your azimuth a few degrees towards the other satellite.

Generally the process goes like this:
  1. Adjust the elevation and skew using the best numbers you can get (likely dishpointer.com with the Starchoice Multi-LNB setup) and tighten them down
  2. Make sure the tripod is absolutely plumb (the center post must be vertical)
  3. Adjust the azimuth as necessary to get both satellites
  4. Tighten the collar

Reactions: showtime and PDCFan
31,162,88 deg is Cochrane"s settings. Which channels are you picking for both sat's?

I am getting great reception on one satellite... Receiver signal strength has it tagged as T1
I am not getting anything on the other T2, as I can't get it to stop fluctuating up and down.
2019-04-27 18.55.17.jpg

Do you have a pvr with two cables going to it? I would think that T1 and T2 are the receiver's tuners. You would have to pick a channel on F2 satellite to check signal there. Been out of Shaw for a few years, so menu's are different from what I would recall.

Catamount

Agree with all that catamount says. They are the two tuners (not the two satellites), and it appears you don't have a second cable running from the dish to the second tuner. The screen you show has both turners currently on F1/G1 and the second tuner does not appear connected (or isn't working correctly if a good line is attached). Change the channel (manually enter a channel number) until the T1 tuner says F2 (try 002) .

Yes, your right... I only have 1 cable connected at this time. Should I not be able to receive all channels through the 1 line tho even tho I have a PVR, but not using it as such?

Attachments

• 2019-04-29 18.58.30.jpg
    2019-04-29 18.58.30.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 792
The receiver expects both lines to be connected. Did a check on my system (looks like you have the same box as me HDPVR630) and it switches tuners with every channel change. The screen you show shows it is trying to find the channel on the tuner not connected. The other tuner show a strong signal for the F2 satellite, so you do have the dish lined up correctly. You can check this out yourself by manually entering channel numbers while still in the Tune In Satellite Signal screen. Since this seems to be the case, every other channel you enter in won't show up as it will switch to the second tuner not hooked up.

NOTE: channel 002 is active in my line-up which is the Classic Channel line-up, don't know which one you have. If you are suppose to get a channel there, you can manually enter in another channel number, and then another, and then 002 to see it (with the tuner you have activated).

EDIT: If you only want to use one line in, go into Preferences, then Tuners & Storage, and change the setting Single Tuner Mode from Disabled to Enabled. Of course, it will restrict viewing if you do any recordings (there is info that explains the restrictions with Single Tuner Mode).

Last edited:
The receiver expects both lines to be connected. Did a check on my system (looks like you have the same box as me HDPVR630) and it switches tuners with every channel change. The screen you show shows it is trying to find the channel on the tuner not connected. The other tuner show a strong signal for the F2 satellite, so you do have the dish lined up correctly. You can check this out yourself by manually entering channel numbers while still in the Tune In Satellite Signal screen. Since this seems to be the case, every other channel you enter in won't show up as it will switch to the second tuner not hooked up.

NOTE: channel 002 is active in my line-up which is the Classic Channel line-up, don't know which one you have. If you are suppose to get a channel there, you can manually enter in another channel number, and then another, and then 002 to see it (with the tuner you have activated).

EDIT: If you only want to use one line in, go into Preferences, then Tuners & Storage, and change the setting Single Tuner Mode from Disabled to Enabled. Of course, it will restrict viewing if you do any recordings (there is info that explains the restrictions with Single Tuner Mode).

Thanks very much Keith Brannen.

I did as instructed and I am now receiving all channels. I did not know of this disabling PVR function. That did the trick and we now can view all our subscribed channels.

Very much appreciated !!!

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks very much Keith Brannen.

I did as instructed and I am now receiving all channels. I did not know of this disabling PVR function. That did the trick and we now can view all our subscribed channels.

Very much appreciated !!!

Jim

You're welcome. I was unaware that the receiver alternated between tuners with every channel change until I checked it! Then I remembered seeing something in the menus for one tuner only use (which makes since that they would put in such a function).

Enjoy!

Reactions: PDCFan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)