SHAW DIRECT WON’T CONNECT IN MESA AZ NOV ‘21

yycgrandma

Original poster
Nov 12, 2021
Mesa AZ
We have had Shaw Direct in our villa in Mesa Az for 13 years (grandfathered with Home Away from Home program). Just arrived in AZ & our system won’t connect. Spent a lot of time with Shaw on phone troubleshooting but she thinks problems with wiring Who. Who can help us in Mesa AZ

Even working properly, you're going to have some issues with missing content. One of the Shaw satellites (Anik F1) has been retired and its replacement doesn't reach the southern two thirds of the US.

Do you leave your receivers behind when you travel north?

Even working properly, you're going to have some issues with missing content. One of the Shaw satellites (Anik F1) has been retired and its replacement doesn't reach the southern two thirds of the US.

Do you leave your receivers behind when you travel north?
Does your receiver show a green light on the station your on? Did the Shaw tech send a hit to your receiver?

If there is not a green light, what type of LNBF do you have on your dish, and what size is the dish? Anik F1R at 107.3 West may still have channels mapped into your receiver from last season, and that satellite is no longer in service. You will only get channels from Anik F2 at 111.1 West, and a number of frequencies have been switched around in the past year.
Best to test receiver on a working system to see if it is mapped with current channels, if you have a friend in the area with active Shaw Direct service. Then it may be wise to find a competent technician with Shaw Direct experience to check out things out at the dish.

To expand a little on Mike's post above:

Have you updated the LNBF on your dish in recent years? If not, you likely still have the older Quad LNBF that had been in use for almost 20 years. The LNBF currently in use is called an xKu LNBF and is almost identical in appearance to the Quad. Although Shaw suppored both kinds for a time, in the past year or so it has been required to have the xKu.....you should have had a warning message in your program guide stating that you needed to upgrade to the xKu to continue to receive programming. So if you're still using the older Quad, you may get unexpected results, if it works at all, because it is incompatible with the firmware ("channel map") in your receiver. (The channel map is updated and sent automatically to your receiver via the satellite from time to time.)

The LNBF issue may not be the source of the problem you're describing.....we need more details from you on that. But even if you solve all the other problems, trying to use the older Quad LNBF is going to be problematic.

So, in sum, you need an xKu LNBF and it should be matched to your dish: a 60e dish (the smaller dish) needs a 60e xkU LNBF; the 75e dish needs a 75e xKu. The type of LNBF is identified on a sticker on the back it.

Just to throw out another question on this topic:

Does anyone know which of the two remaining Shaw satellites transmits the channel map and firmware updates? If it's G1 only, then no one outside its footprint will get those updates, and that will likely present a problem for all southern subs. And if that's the case, they likely will not be able to do a receiver refresh via the Web either.

I can't answer this question as I cancelled my subscription when the majority of the French channels disappeared to G1.

Just to throw out another question on this topic:

Does anyone know which of the two remaining Shaw satellites transmits the channel map and firmware updates? If it's G1 only, then no one outside its footprint will get those updates, and that will likely present a problem for all southern subs. And if that's the case, they likely will not be able to do a receiver refresh via the Web either.

I can't answer this question as I cancelled my subscription when the majority of the French channels disappeared to G1.
I don't have an official answer to this, but would have to assume that the updates are available on both satellites. If not, we would already be hearing complaints from active subscribers using F2 only in places such as Arizona and Mexico. Any complaints that I have heard are from users returning south for the winter, that have not had their systems running, and usually have hardware issues.

I don't have an official answer to this, but would have to assume that the updates are available on both satellites. If not, we would already be hearing complaints from active subscribers using F2 only in places such as Arizona and Mexico. Any complaints that I have heard are from users returning south for the winter, that have not had their systems running, and usually have hardware issues.
I did a receiver refresh down in Mesa 2 weeks ago. Everything is working fine on F2 except the canadian simsubs.

I did a receiver refresh down in Mesa 2 weeks ago. Everything is working fine on F2 except the canadian simsubs.
Even if you were in Canada and getting G1 as well as F2, simsubs would be an issue in many markets. Out of market stations are often blown out of the water by a Toronto (or other city) station that has primary rights in that part of Canada. Where it gets confusing is if your local station is on G1 (which you may not receive in most of the U.S.), and is overridden by a Simsub from a station that is on F2. (Many Toronto affiliates are on F2). You can go to the proper channel number for direct F2 reception and it will work fine. Go to your local station subject to simsub blackout, and if that signal is on G1---and you are not able to reliably get G1---you get nothing.

Reactions: c-spand
Even if you were in Canada and getting G1 as well as F2, simsubs would be an issue in many markets. Out of market stations are often blown out of the water by a Toronto (or other city) station that has primary rights in that part of Canada. Where it gets confusing is if your local station is on G1 (which you may not receive in most of the U.S.), and is overridden by a Simsub from a station that is on F2. (Many Toronto affiliates are on F2). You can go to the proper channel number for direct F2 reception and it will work fine. Go to your local station subject to simsub blackout, and if that signal is on G1---and you are not able to reliably get G1---you get nothing.
Mike that's exactly whats happening. All Citytv stations in Canada that have the same programming on at the same time as Calgary Citytv, get switched to ch 199 (Calgary) which is on G1. Plus you have to be careful when setting up a recording. If I go to the guide and just hit the record button on a western station the pvr will pickup some eastern station that's on G1 earlier in the day. At least I can edit the show for the proper channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts