Shaw Direct

jack mundell

Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
canada
Does anyone know if shaw direct is still available ( get a signal ) in Cape Coral ( Ft Myers area ) ---we are snow birds and want some cdn channels---we lost bell a few yrs ago and have been using rabbit ears for local channels down there---all the posts seem old so wondering if currently it will work---thanks

Nothing has changed on Shaw's side, F1 & F2 satellites still reach as far down as Mexico with the larger 75cm dish. So should be fine.

Is there a problem with Shaw Direct getting signal in Naples FL. We had a signal last spring but can’t get one now. Changed the LNB on the dish but still can’t find the signal.

Used to have Shaw Direct in central Alaska, Starchoice before that same service. I used two 1.2 meter dishes.

If you replaced the quad LNB with an xKu LNB, the channel map in your receiver needs to be changed by Shaw to reflect that.

On your remote: Options -> Status -> System Status -> Line F. It should say "exists" and show a number. The last four digits of the number should be 4378, 4321, or 4323. If they are 4377, 4320, or 4322, you have the wrong channel map and must contact Shaw to have them update it to be compatible with the xKu LNB. An installer in Florida cannot help you with this issue.

FTA is kinda like 8 tracks now days. there is no support, very few suppliers carry them anymore and the content is not that great. We have a population of Portuguese folks around here and they use it for only 1 channel yet with an android box they could get over 99. Most do not have internet so they live with the 1 ch, when the rec burns out it is getting harder to find any replacements.
As for the dish, every type of a dish is legitimate. Because this is a Shawdirect thread we assume that is what you mean, so you would have to change it out to a round dish with the specific lnb to receive what it is you are looking for. Google will be your best friend there.
A lot of people still use them for religious programming as well.
Cheers

Reactions: maurrich
Here in Minneapolis G1 has a great signal as it should have. I don’t know far south it goes but it probably goes down pretty quickly. I am planning to move in the spring to approximately 150 miles due south but definitely still in the footprint. At some point I do need to go to St. Louis so for the heck of it I can haul my 75cm dish and 830 receiver to check. It won’t be a problem to do so and I am a curious person. Shaw Direct is fantastic, watch more of that than Directv.

Reactions: QCK
Here in Minneapolis G1 has a great signal as it should have. I don’t know far south it goes but it probably goes down pretty quickly. I am planning to move in the spring to approximately 150 miles due south but definitely still in the footprint. At some point I do need to go to St. Louis so for the heck of it I can haul my 75cm dish and 830 receiver to check. It won’t be a problem to do so and I am a curious person. Shaw Direct is fantastic, watch more of that than Directv.
You're going to lose G1 somewhere between the Quad Cities and St Louis. It works great in Chicago, but as you move west and south from there, signal drops quickly. In fact, it drops a lot between Dubuque and the Quad Cities, and I am only 40 miles NE of Dubuque. With careful tuning, it has a healthy margin just north of Platteville, WI. Good luck.

You're going to lose G1 somewhere between the Quad Cities and St Louis. It works great in Chicago, but as you move west and south from there, signal drops quickly. In fact, it drops a lot between Dubuque and the Quad Cities, and I am only 40 miles NE of Dubuque. With careful tuning, it has a healthy margin just north of Platteville, WI. Good luck.
Good to hear from you Mike. Around 20 years ago I drove to Plain, WI to get my first Starchoice system from you. It was a 401 & 90cm dish. You helped me allot by setting up my reciever and account with Freeway (remember those crooks) plus a grand tour of your dish farm. With just the one dish needed pointed at 107 or 111 (can't remember which one) and the 90cm dish, signal levels were hot here in the Twin Cities. No DVR's back then just VHS to record from the Starchoice receiver. When I got back home that day and installed it I don't think I slept for a couple of days just watching all of those channels!. My guess was anything south of Chicago would start to encounter some signal difficulties. I don't plan on leaving MN anytime soon so Shaw will work just fine here. Btw Mike, that 90cm dish you sold me way back then is still used to this day. The dish is built like a tank!.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)