SHAW hddsr 605 random reboot

msav

Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
My receiver just started continually rebooting. sometimes it stays on for 10 mins sometimes 2 min but can never watch for more that 10 min without it rebooting. details below

I have a hddsr 605 receiver.
I have a 75cm dish with a quad LNB
I have 95 signal on SAT B and 93 signal on SAT A
This happens without changing any channels or any remote action

It worked fine a week ago. yesterday was trying to watch the Football game and it keeped rebooting. Could never watch more than 10 min at a time. sometimes it would reboot after a couple of mins.

Things I have tried. Replaced the entire coax Cable from Lnb to receiver. Tried all LNb outputs. Tried Different Receiver Power supply. Tried different A/V outputs on receiver.

Problem Still exists. Please help.

Have you tried :
-unplug for 5 minutes then plug in
-plug it directly into the wall outlet instead of the surge protector

Other than that and what you have done I think it´s worth a call to Shaw directly and see if a hard reset solves the problem or if they offer another solution to the problem.

I gave up yesterday. and unplugged it from all power. so it has been sitting since yesterday without power. I will try it when i get home from work. I had tried to plug it directly into the wall as well but that did not work.

I would have to call my Broker to get this remedied via shaw so I will do that if that does not work.

Last edited:
Before you plug it back in disconnect the cable going to the dish. Plug it back in and just see how long it stays on without re-booting. If it still re-boots the receiver is probably bad. If it stays on then check your cable ends for a small piece of the braid shorting out to the center wire. If they are ok, and you have the cable stapled to the wall check for a staple that may have pierced the cable as a dead short will cause the new 600 series receivers to re-boot all the time. If left powered up like like for some time it will fry the tuner.
I had a customer leave a 630 like that for 2 weeks before he called in and tuner 1 was toasted.

ok I hooked it up and whiting 10 min is rebooted again. I had already replaced the entire cable and I did not staple it as it was just loose fro testing. And it still reset. I tested the cable between center and the threaded barrel and there was 0 ohms so It should not be the cable. Could the LNB be triggering a reset of the tuner. I noticed that it will also keep resetting every 10 min with the receiver off. a couple of times it will reset and a dash on the display will go back and forth for a bit and then the entire display will light up, then go back to the dash going back and forth, does this cycle a few times then will come up and flash nor and then say 4:00 after about 3 min it will show the correct time, then in about 6 more min it will reset again.

My broker is calling shaw and we will go through the diagnostics with them. Perhaps a hard reset of the box. But it sounds like a hardware failure somewhere.

Update!

replaced lnb with brand new xku Lnb. Had broker call Shaw. Had receiver reset had them change the settings on the receiver to be compatible with new xku lnb. Did a 2 factory resets on the receiver. After all of that the reciever still reboots on Any Hd channel. Standard def is fine. I have 91 on channel 700 and 97 on channel 252.

Seems the receiver only has a year warranty and my year was up in September of 2012. Can't justify $300 for a receiver to last only a year.

Looks like I will be saying goodbye to Shaw after 7 years.

My 605 receiver only rebooted about 3 times, always when it got hot from baseboard heater behind it. Has not rebooted in the last year. I emailed ask jim a few years back and got my two 605's for $49 each, no trade-in. After that I got two 600's from Dell for $49 each.

Too much profit for your broker, as far as I am concerned!

Catamount

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts