Shaw problem getting HD channels and some SD in North Carolina

dgparent

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
usa
And I miss my Canadian TV, one Olympics done by NBC was enough.

I have a 75cm dish.

Anyway I set it up and on some channels all is good for example on channel 111 TSN SD my signal strength is 97, on some SD channels it is 0 like channel 67

I get no HD signal at all I have re skewed the dish all the heck and back, according to dishpointer my skew in zip code 27604 should be 119, I have gone from 80 -130 no luck getting any signal on channel 700 or 300. I alos get those sudden big red flashes of signal but they disappear right away.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

sounds like you are getting 107 but not 111. My guess is either your skew is off or you have the wrong v-code on your receiver. what receiver model do you have?

V-code is how Shaw sets up the account to get the right channels in the right spot.

There are 3 LNB "types" that Shaw can use
-Stacked....these are the older styles
-non-stacked...this is the "quad" LNB...the one with 4 outputs
-"New" Stacked...this is the newest LNB Shaw uses. It has the KA band for the new satellite (which will not reach the states and will carry local network HD)

Can you take a pic of the LNB or can you describe it

from an ebay listing of the new Xku
Swapping the XKU LNB in place of the Quad LNB will give you redlights on receivers with no signal. Certain steps need to be followed to obtain a signal/green lights on receivers with the XKU LNB

-non-stacked...this is the "quad" LNB...the one with 4 outputs is theone I have I think, the output Freq. is 950-2150 (Non-Stacked)

If its the non stacked then you need t call Shaw (or your broker does) and have them change it to "NON STACKED"
Then the channels will come in properly

Thanks I will have them do that and let you know, thanks for your quick reply I could of been out there another 4 hours messing with the skew.

here are a couple pics of the LNB's by the way

1st is a quad (non stacked) on a 75e dish (this was mine at the house)
2nd is the new XKu LNB...note the slight difference

3rd pic is a closeup of the older LNB (the LNB to the left was for 119 for my Dish sub)

also on the back it will say the type too

Attachments

• 000_0685.jpg
    000_0685.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 187
  • $(KGrHqRHJBQE8e25Stv0BPNFgZ3LiQ~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqRHJBQE8e25Stv0BPNFgZ3LiQ~~60_12.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 208
  • IM000339.JPG
    IM000339.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 190
I called my broker, he basically refused to call Shaw and change the V-Code so we reset the box etc etc, we checked channel 700 and then 300 no go on either, then he said to switch to a different HD channel, I get channel 302 - signal strength of 90 - and maybe one or two others, he said I was too impatient and the channels come in slowly ?? I have never heard of this ??

Last edited:
I called Shaw they said F2 was "missing" no voltage is coming from it and I need a new LNB ? I called the broker he said he has never heard of this at all.

"F2 missing" is essentially the symptom. these are the most common causes in order of likelihood.

1. poor alignment
2. v-code mismatch
3. bad cable. it is possible that you have a bad RG-6, so the LNB is not getting signal to switch from the receiver. I had this problem once. easy way to test it is to take your receiver and tv outside near the dish and connect them with relatively short cable runs. if everything works perfectly, then it's definitely your cable.

4. bad LNB - least likely if you have new equipment.

iceberg and some of the other more expert posters may have more insight

"F2 missing" is essentially the symptom. these are the most common causes in order of likelihood.

1. poor alignment
2. v-code mismatch
3. bad cable. it is possible that you have a bad RG-6, so the LNB is not getting signal to switch from the receiver. I had this problem once. easy way to test it is to take your receiver and tv outside near the dish and connect them with relatively short cable runs. if everything works perfectly, then it's definitely your cable.

4. bad LNB - least likely if you have new equipment.

iceberg and some of the other more expert posters may have more insight

Shaw redid the v-code twice so that is not it, I used one cable for dish alignment and I use another for watching TV so I doubt both are bad since I get the channels on the other Satellite, it could be 1 or 4 but shaw did not say it was alignment and I get a signal of 97 on on channel 111 and high 80's etc all on all F1 channels, so they sort of ruled that out.

I am hoping the new LNB fixes it my shoulders are killing me from trying to get a signal on F2. I was messing with the skew for 2 hours, not once did I lock in, weird considering F1 has such a great signal.

Can either LNB receive either satellite ? Just wondering if say the LNB on the left is for F2 and I have it on F1 and that is why I am getting a great signal on F1 and nothing on F2. Is this possible or will a LNB only get the sat. it is made for

it has to be set properly. The left LNB (if you're standing behind the dish looking at the LNB) HAS to be aimed at 111.1 and the right one is for 107
If its off then the left LNB sees 107 and the right one is probably aimed at 103ish (which wont work)

it has to be set properly. The left LNB (if you're standing behind the dish looking at the LNB) HAS to be aimed at 111.1 and the right one is for 107
If its off then the left LNB sees 107 and the right one is probably aimed at 103ish (which wont work)

Thanks tomorrow I will move the dish slightly left and see if that helps.

He says it is correct because the "MAP STATUS - 551-4323 : Complete" is this right ?

Had to search back some of my old posts. Vcode 4323 is for XKU lnb. Needs to be switched to non-stacked quad.

You could spend weeks aiming, unless this is corrected.

Catamount

Your v-code or "mapping" will depend on what your broker set up.

For your lnb,there is East coast, two different vcodes classic and advanced channel lineup.
West coast, as above.

My vcode is 4320. East coast classic channels; same lnb as you. Quad lnb non-stacked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)