Shipping a Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Has anyone here tried selling their old Dish or shipping it?

I usually throw it in the trash when I move because I get another, but this time I decided to check ebay and noticed that some people are actually buying these. I figure I already spent money on the installation, maybe this will even things out for me.

However, I tried entering the dimensions of the dish into a postal calculator and the shipping costs are coming out to $70-$100. I see some of the same dishes on ebay sell for around $30 with free shipping. Does that sound right? am I missing something?

Has anyone here tried selling their old Dish or shipping it?

I usually throw it in the trash when I move because I get another, but this time I decided to check ebay and noticed that some people are actually buying these. I figure I already spent money on the installation, maybe this will even things out for me.

However, I tried entering the dimensions of the dish into a postal calculator and the shipping costs are coming out to $70-$100. I see some of the same dishes on ebay sell for around $30 with free shipping. Does that sound right? am I missing something?

You should look at the inch measurements on your ruler instead of centimeters. UPS or FedEx should be a fraction of that amount.:D

I usually buy via the local craiglist. Eliminate the shipping. Old dishes net $20 or so. New around $40.

I was including the 48" pole that I had with my dish. If I just do the dish (35x25x10), its $30-50. I guess thats better.

Its not worth shipping it unless you have it in the origional factory box with the foam inserts.

Your simply not going to find the right size box and are going to have to "Make" a box, then you run the risk of the Dish arriving damaged.

Not only is "Making" a box cost prohibitive, everytime I take a used Dish and ship it to the customer, no matter how much bubble wrap and peanuts I use, the customer always complains that the Dish arrived damaged, and I end up eating the cost to ship them a new one.

Use the factory boxes, they are engineered so they can be shipped!

i suggest selling it locally thru classifieds or craigslist. i've bought a few that way myself a couple of times. it would definitely cut shipping out altogether and the buyer could pick it up themselves.

i suggest selling it locally thru classifieds or craigslist. i've bought a few that way myself a couple of times. it would definitely cut shipping out altogether and the buyer could pick it up themselves.

True Dat!

Take a 3 x 5 card and write: " used "DTV dish & pole...18" with dual LNB".

Put a phone number on it and stick it on a bulletin board at a local grocery.

Joe

i'm going to pickup a directv slimline from craiglist saturday afternoon, driving about 50 miles to get it for a friend. i really think that is the best way to sell them, shipping kills any dish sale. not sure a grocery bulliten board would be enough exposure if you know what i mean.

i'm going to pickup a directv slimline from craiglist saturday afternoon, driving about 50 miles to get it for a friend. i really think that is the best way to sell them, shipping kills any dish sale. not sure a grocery bulliten board would be enough exposure if you know what i mean.

50 x 2= 100 x .60 = $60.00 + labor (driver @ $20.00 + / -) and then you have to install it!

If the 3x5 doesn't sell it the first week there is always a second week and you are only moving one used dish.

Joe

You could go to a local retailer to try to get the shipping boxes for the dishes. If you don't have the shipping boxes then you might as well just part it out and sell the lnb off of it, maybe the mast as well, since those would be a lot easier to package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)