Should I be able to get a signal here? (photos included)

Well I spent literally all day cutting trees, limbs, etc. The installer will be here between 8-12 tomorrow...I prey it is a different guy than yesterday.

I cut just about all I can cut. If I can just get him to install the dish(s) I will deal with hiring someone to cut the tall ones I couldn't get to.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have provided. I'm tempted to print this thread out and show it to the installer...that is if he throws in the towel immediately again.

coolbreeze said:
Well I spent literally all day cutting trees, limbs, etc. The installer will be here between 8-12 tomorrow...I prey it is a different guy than yesterday.

I cut just about all I can cut. If I can just get him to install the dish(s) I will deal with hiring someone to cut the tall ones I couldn't get to.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have provided. I'm tempted to print this thread out and show it to the installer...that is if he throws in the towel immediately again.

If you locals aren't on 129, then tell the guy you want 61.5 since it will be easier to hit in your location and it has a better signal than 129. You already know you can get 110 and 119. And from the looks of your pictures you can get 61.5 even without cutting trees.

C1787GJ said:
LOL, you went on your roof while on oxycodine.... did you float up there??? :) ;)
Man, you should have seen it. I was on a ladder with the chainsaw lopping off the tops of trees. My girlfriend was being a trooper and helping me...she knew if she said anything, I would have blown up. I was so pissed today about this whole situation, and just had to cut trees to make this install work. Now my back yard is literally full of trees and limbs...I dare the installer to blow me off tomorrow morning after all this work I completed while under the influence.

Yes, I do realize how dangerous what I did today was. I don't care. I want HDTV.

I am postive the 61.5 deal will work out. Either way, I have to go and gulp more Roxicet...throat hurts. !sadroll

hobojoe said:
doesn't look promising. do you have a chiminey? use a chimney mount with a long pole maybe you can get a signal over the trees?

How?? I looked at his video again and right at the beginning you can see towards 61.5 He's got that one easy! It wouldn't take two seconds to find that bird. Only one I'm worried about is 119 but he said he was able to see 119 on D*, so he's good to go.

From the pics and video show, 61 is easy access, 110/119 or even 129 should still be able to get it with some customer work, your dish can put it to higher location, two dish should work best for you in this case.

The installer got here right at 8:45. After being here for 5 minutes, he told me it would be no problem at all getting a signal. He is installing 2 dishes as we speak, one at 61.5, the other at 110/119. He was very surprised the previous installer gave up so easy...he said my signals should be very strong.

Glad I got a second opinion.:shocked

What a difference a more experienced installer makes!

Last edited:
coolbreeze said:
The installer got here right at 8:45. After being here for 5 minutes, he told me it would be no problem at all getting a signal. He is installing 2 dishes as we speak, one at 61.5, the other at 110/119. He was very surprised the previous installer gave up so easy...he said my signals should be very strong.

Glad I got a second opinion.:shocked

What a difference a more experienced installer makes!

Excellent! I knew 61.5 would be an easy shot for you.

Well, here's the recap. I have been watching Dish for a couple of hours now, and it is not without it's issues...

I get great 61.5 reception, maintaining a solid 91-93 signal strength. The installer said that is the only real option for this area, and was puzzled why the first installer didn't even mention it. I don't yet have my HDTV, but I can watch downscaled programming fine for now.

My 119 reception is pretty good...no real issues to report. Averaging 87-90 sig strength.

My real issue, and it isn't really a surprise, is the reception on 110. It's really unwatchable. Unfortunately most of the channels I like (discovery, NG, HBO HD, TNT HD, etc, etc) are on this sat. I get anywhere between 30-40% strength, with frequent dropouts to zero (black screen, searching for signal message). Obviously, this is due to the trees, which was not news to me. So now I've got to pay someone a lot of $ to remove these huge trees in my yard. Well, I knew this going into it, so no complaints there.

Just wondering, is there a way for me to fine tune the transponders, etc to get the best possible signal until I can have the trees removed? Like I said, basically everything on 110 is a pixelated mess, and it's unwatchable.

A few other questions:

Every time I press the "dish" button for the interactive stuff, my 622 says it's downloading the app, then it freezes and reboots. Every time. What's the story?

Also, is there a way to manually force a software update? I think mine is current (L359) but not sure.

Other than the expected reception issues, it's working great. I just hate that the same trees that didn't give DirecTV an issue at all, are freezing/pixelating my 110 sat with Dish.

At least the damn thing is installed!!

coolbreeze said:
Other than the expected reception issues, it's working great. I just hate that the same trees that didn't give DirecTV an issue at all, are freezing/pixelating my 110 sat with Dish.

At least the damn thing is installed!!

This leads me to believe the Dish500 isn't setup correctly. Is it mounted around the same place the D* dish was at? I'm really suprised you have problems at 110 and not 119. I figured 119 would be a more of problem for you then 110 since 119 is lower in the sky in your area than 110. I'm betting it could have been installed in a better location to get 110. Or on the other hand you could have one of those really hard to install locations and need a 119 at one side of the house and 110 at the other, then in your case another for 61.5.

The interactive app comes from110. Were you subscribed to programming from 110 with Directv. It does sound as if your dish 500 could be misaligned if you were getting 110 with a phase 3.

You might try this. Have your wife or someone watch the signal strength while you go on the roof and gently move the dish, without loosenly the nuts, kneeling behind the dish move it slightly left and slightly up see if the signal goes up or down on 110 and 119. Either the trees are in the way or the dish is just slightly off.

osu1991 said:
You might try this. Have your wife or someone watch the signal strength while you go on the roof and gently move the dish, without loosenly the nuts, kneeling behind the dish move it slightly left and slightly up see if the signal goes up or down on 110 and 119. Either the trees are in the way or the dish is just slightly off.
Thanks, I'll try that. Is there any way to know which transponder is 110?

Right or left?

NICE. Thanks for the suggestions. With a walkie talkie, a 7/16 wrench and a patient girifriend, I was able to tweak my sats to this:

110 - 76-78 (up from 30-40)
119 - 101-102 (up from 87-90)

What a difference a few millimeters make. Thank God I didn't have to cut any more trees...at least yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)