Should I be concerned about installation?

Synge

Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
N.E. Michigan
I was a happy subscriber to VOOM for the 3 months I had it before they went under. I reluctantly switched back to Charter Digital cable after VOOM's demise and have been fairly happy with them, even though their HDTV content was limited to HDnet, HDnet Movies, ESPN HD, and ABC HD. I was happy until my package (that was guaranteed until January '06) increased over 20% this past month.

I decided to make the switch to Dish, especially with the added HDTV content they added February 1st. I called and placed my order on Friday, Feb 3rd and talked to a very friendly, knowledgeable CSR and am scheduled for installation of the Silver package, along with a second receiver for my bedroom on Feb 28th. I thought everything was set until today.

I got an e-mail confirmation that my installation was set for Feb 28th but it didn't mention anything about programming other than Dish Home Protection Plan, Fox Sports Detroit and STARZ super pak (free for 3 months). Equipment listed is Dish 311 Standard receiver and promotion only says 18 MONTH COMMITMENT and DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE (DIRECT).

I called the number listed in the e-mail and kept getting disconnected. (Very irritating) So I called main number and finally got thru to a CSR. She assured me that I was in for the Silver package, a receiver with MPEG-4 capability, along with another standard receiver. I still have an uneasy feeling though.

As I look at the website now it looks to me that the only way to get a receiver for both HDTV and a second for standard is by getting the ViP622 receiver. I really didn't want to pay the $299 fee along with the monthly fee for the DVR which I really don't want/need. Is this possibly what is messing up this order? Or should I wait and see what the installer brings on the 28th? Any suggestions?

You should be concerned first because all of the work orders I had last week did not reflect the required satellite for the complete HD package nor did it reflect the required equipment you would need to get all three satellites. You should call back and ask the CSR to make sure that your work order reflects the required Dish 1000 dish and the required 129 or 61.5 satellite along with the 110 and 119 satellite.

Outside of that your next concern is with who does the installation of your system wich as it stands now you have a very strong possibility that it will be done by a dish network technician as opposed to a subcontractor.

I see this as an increasing problem. When I had my install last year the guy swore up and down that I was getting 3 TV's hooked up. It's just my wife and I, so we don't even own 3 TV's!!

I had specifically said I didn't want the free HBO/SHO for 3 months (because I'm not good at cancelling those), but all of that was on his work order. The GOOD thing was that he brought the correct equipment and dishes (811, 625, and 2-Dish 500's). In the end the installer was actually very good, but he basically had to retake the order from me on the spot since the CSR's had the work order all screwed up.

Synge-
I called and signed up Friday as well and just got my email - and just as you - it was mainly blank - so I called them this AM to confirm.

They confirmed my HD Platinum package, my 622 (which will be mailed to me) and my 211 (which the tech will bring at install). However, my 3rd standard receiver that I had asked for was NOT listed. The CSR told me she could add one, but it would push back my install date. Or, she said that when the tech calls me a few days before my appt to verify - I should tell him to simply bring along a 3rd receiver - and that it shouldn't be an issue. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I have any problems.

So overall, it's definitely a good idea to call and verify.

mr_snerdly said:
I understand that the Vip622 is the dual tuner HD DVR and the Vip211 is the single tuner HD DVR. How do the 411 and 222 compare to these? I have only heard of the 622 and 211.

The 411 is the same as the 211, it just doesn't have the ethernet port.

The 222 is a dual-tuner (NON-DVR). It has 1 HD output and 1 SD Output.

Van said:
You should be concerned first because all of the work orders I had last week did not reflect the required satellite for the complete HD package nor did it reflect the required equipment you would need to get all three satellites. You should call back and ask the CSR to make sure that your work order reflects the required Dish 1000 dish and the required 129 or 61.5 satellite along with the 110 and 119 satellite.

Outside of that your next concern is with who does the installation of your system wich as it stands now you have a very strong possibility that it will be done by a dish network technician as opposed to a subcontractor.

Thanks to all for your responses. I just got off the phone with a CSR and she verified that I'll be getting the ViP411 receiver along with the 311. She verified my Silver package order and also that the Dish 1000 will be installed. I feel alot better now. :)

Now another question. My old VOOM dish is still installed on my garage roof along with all the existing cable running into my living room. Is it possible that the installer will be able to use the same brackets and cable? Or will the Dish satellite dish need its own seperate mounting brackets? It'd be nice not to have another dish and more bolts through my roof.

Also, Van. I live in Alpena, which is way out in the boon docks. My VOOM installer was a sub-contractor who came all the way up from Standish. Does Dish even have network techs who would do installations this far north or will I be stuck with another subcontractor?

Be very very afraid!

:mad: :mad:
psumattDE said:
Synge-
I called and signed up Friday as well and just got my email - and just as you - it was mainly blank - so I called them this AM to confirm.

They confirmed my HD Platinum package, my 622 (which will be mailed to me) and my 211 (which the tech will bring at install). However, my 3rd standard receiver that I had asked for was NOT listed. The CSR told me she could add one, but it would push back my install date. Or, she said that when the tech calls me a few days before my appt to verify - I should tell him to simply bring along a 3rd receiver - and that it shouldn't be an issue. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I have any problems.

So overall, it's definitely a good idea to call and verify.

AND sometimes It doesn't help at all to call and verify. Long story short.

Last wednesday I called to switch my 811 to 211. Paid my $49.99 upgrade fee, CSR said no problem, call back tomorrow and we'll let you know when you can expect it. NO MENTION of wether I need dish 1000. I expected I didn't because I allready have my 500 pointed at 61.5.

Called back Thursday, was told 'hmmmmm, seems we made a mistake, were sending you a standard receiver, not a 211'. OK. CSR says' looks like we allready sent it out, when it arrives on Monday just refuse delivery. I'll set up another work order for the 211' Says I DO need the 1000 because they will eventiually discontinue the 61.5 bird and that he'll set up the installation since I allready paid the $50. I say OK, whatever it takes.

On Monday As I'm waiting for my Standard receiver, I call Dish AGAIN, to confirm Installation of 211 and dish 1000. Rep Confirms it and even asks if I would rather give the 811 to the installer or send it back in an empty 811 box that they will gladly send. I say The Installer. She says 'ok, I'll put a call tag in to the installer to take your 811 once he installs the 211'. All seems right with the world.

Installation was scheduled for between 12-5 today. I take the day off from work just to do this. 1:00 P.m. the doorbell rings. I think 'not too bad! right on time!'. I open the door to see 2 guys standing there with,,, a standard receiver.

It's at this point that I start to turn red, and my head gets slightly hot. The guys say 'were here to switch out your receiver with this one.'. I say Your going to install a dish 1000 and give me a 211 you mean?!' THe look of confuison on this guys face is second only to my dogs when he hears a high pitch that he can't quite figure out.

Then the installer says ' you know, I thought it was a little starnge that we would have to physically come to your house to switch out one receiver for another'. WOW! YOU THINK SO?!?!?! my mind starts to scream. The guy has no 211 and no dish 1000. He says 'sorry', shows me his work Order and that is indeed what it says. Just switch the receiver for another. Now if it were me, after reading this I think I would have called said customer BEFORE I made the trip, BUT MAYBE IT'S JUST ME.

Call DISH back, pretty hot at this point since I wasted a day of leave for nothing. CSR takes my info and says that indeed says 811 for 211, Dish 1000 installation nad has no idea why they did not know.
Says Sorry, Can we reschedule? BUT FIRST tries to hawk the DISH REPLACEMENT PLAN on me.

At this point I'm pretty steamed. Before she can start the pitch. I say, you gotta be kidding me? At this point I'm not even sure I'm stayingf with Dish. Please let me talk to a supervisor'. Another 5 mins on hold and a supervisor hears my anger, but doesn't ffer me a thing. Not a free month, a partial months credit, not even a stinking free PPV movie, how about at least the $49 dollar credit and free installation for debacle this has become?

I halfheartedly agree with ANOTHER installation date (2 weeks away) and say good bye. ONe more time and I'm gone. This has got to be the most ridiculous situation I have ever dealt with. I never had problems like this with DIRECT TV or COMCAST when I was with those 2 services.

Waiting for my next installation and whatever nonsense it might bring me. Another Standard definiton box perhaps?

the installer will need to run another line into the house for the 311 other than that if the location will allow reception of 129/119/110 they will use it. If you need the 61.5 they will install a second dish for 119/110.

Who does the install is kinda a crap shoot. I have had to redo plenty of installs done by Dish techs as well as subs. My best advise is to make suggestions as how you would like it done and if the tech is good and the suggestions make sence he will probly do it that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)