Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys.US has learned that at CES Dish Network will be introducing two new receivers.

The ViP622 DVR is a Dual Tuner MPEG 2/4 High Definition DVR with a 320GB Hard Drive.)

The unit will have an ethernet connection for future use.

The specs I have list 180 hours of SD and 25 Hours of HD which does not seem correct to me

It will be like the 942 with Single and Dual Modes. Most of the other specs match the 942 almost exactly.

- Single Ota Tuner (Only used by TV1)
- Single / Dual Modes
- Component Video & HDMI output for TV1 HDTV
- Shared MTS Stereo Agile modulated output, sends TV1 & TV2 signals out on 1 RF port on 2 different channels. (This is cool!)
Note - No RF Output for TV1 (ie; ch3/4)

In addition Dish will be releasing the ViP 322 which is a dual tuner NON DVR receiver.

It is MPEG 2/4 SD / HD (Tuner 2 is only 480i)
Ethernet for future use
OTA Tuner (Only used by TV 1)
- Single / Dual Modes
- Component Video & HDMI output for TV1 HDTV
- Shared Mono Agile modulated output, sends TV1 & TV2 signals out on 1 RF port on 2 different channels. (Again I love this feature!)
Ch 3/4 RF Output for TV1 is also available

Sounds like two exciting models.

Remember where you heard about them first. :D

Happy Holidays from your friends at SatelliteGuys.US!

No release dates, I would not be surprised to see them in the summer or fall. But with Dish Network anything is possible. :)

sounds cool i just hope it doesnt have as much grainy digital quality as the dish dvr the old one...

Is this ViP line the future 'whole home network' setup where the DVRs / non DVRs will all be able to view the DVR's content?

If I finally break down and go with Dish, either of these look like a pretty nice way to go.

Shawn

If I had to guess I would say that the ViP = Video over IP.

This would give dish TRUE video on demand and probably better VOD then the cable companies currently offer.

If this is true the future looks bright. :D

I notice that they are going to continue the 322 name but add ViP to it b ut change the model numbers on the other ones a little.

I think it is a mistake to have the second tuner only 480i. They should have both tuners HD instead of just one. I guess they were trying to keep the price down on the receiver. They need a nonDVR dual tuner HD receiver.

I wonder if the ethernet will be for sharing the video on a home network as Shawn95GT is saying or if it will be used for broadband content or both.

Scott-
On the 622 especially- is the OTA ATSC only? Or does it also have NTSC?
Also, is there no S-video or composite output for TV2? RF only?
Are you saying the 622 can receive satellite HD and downconvert it to TV2?

Last edited:
Well, this will be good for the Mpeg4 switchover, but can they make them fast enough (ie. can they get the HD PVR within 6 months of offering new HD channels that you can't receive any other way?)

So my Dishplayer 7200 finally bit the dust. Before I go to a 942 or another DVR solution, should I hold out for a couple of months on my 301 and upgrade to the ViP 622 when released?

What do you suspect it'll cost? I'll be out of luck if over $500.00, do you think there may be a lease deal?

Stargazer said:
I notice that they are going to continue the 322 name but add ViP to it b ut change the model numbers on the other ones a little.
I think it is a mistake to have the second tuner only 480i. They should have both tuners HD instead of just one. I guess they were trying to keep the price down on the receiver. They need a nonDVR dual tuner HD receiver.
I wonder if the ethernet will be for sharing the video on a home network as Shawn95GT is saying or if it will be used for broadband content or both.

Well, having a dual-room, dual HD-output, HD receiver would be great on paper but how many people out there have component, DVI, or HDMI cables already run in the house with amps along the way? I'd say a very, very, very, very small portion of a percentage. With that said, no installer will put in DVI, HDMI, or component cable to feed the 2nd HDTV without you paying an arm and a leg for that 2nd HDTV cable run. It's a lot less hassle to have 2 single-tuner HD receivers OR in the case of a 942/322/622, have the receiver feed HD to the HDTV in the same room as the receiver and feed SD to the other TV in your house, which is presumably SD. Not many homes have more than 1 HDTV in their house, if any.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Well, having a dual-room, dual HD-output, HD receiver would be great on paper but how many people out there have component, DVI, or HDMI cables already run in the house with amps along the way? I'd say a very, very, very, very small portion of a percentage. With that said, no installer will put in DVI, HDMI, or component cable to feed the 2nd HDTV without you paying an arm and a leg for that 2nd HDTV cable run. It's a lot less hassle to have 2 single-tuner HD receivers OR in the case of a 942/322/622, have the receiver feed HD to the HDTV in the same room as the receiver and feed SD to the other TV in your house, which is presumably SD. Not many homes have more than 1 HDTV in their house, if any.
Maybe they could pass an ATSC signal over the coax vs having to fish in component cables / HDMI etc. It works great for OTA :).

They could even supply a cheap single channel ATSC tuner for the far end for 'HD Ready' TVs.

Shawn

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
They should have both tuners HD instead of just one. I guess they were trying to keep the price down on the receiver. They need a nonDVR dual tuner HD receiver.
I think the issue becomes how you would get the HD signal to a second TV/Monitor. Few folks will have two in the same room as the receiver.

Last edited:
By the way, this is coming from a guy who has 2 HDTV's in his house with another coming within a year's time. I take back the last statement about not many people having even 1 HD TV in their home. The penetration is in double digit percentage but having more than 1 HD TV in the home is still very small.

SummitAdvantageRetailer
re' post 16:
If the 622 has composite out, as in three RCA connectors, I can hook it up to a little transmitter I have. The receiver can be on another floor or even outside, connected to the second, analog, TV. No need to run cables- and the picture quality is pretty good. This is the setup I want, and am hoping the 622 supports.
I forget the name of this transmitter set up, but I've seen similar units still for sale. Glad I got mine some years back at a much better price.