Should I buy a used DV3 4000?

Radioscott

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
I came across a local guy selling a couple of Echostar DV3 4000 receivers for $10 each. Google pretty much gives me a crapload of ebay listings, which doesn't help much.

So, I thought I'd put it to you helpful people. I'm still using a 301. Would the DV3 4000 be an upgrade? If so, what would be involved in transferring to the different receiver?

Upgrade is such a loose term. It's definitely an older (Legacy) model. IMO, it's a downgrade. The 301/311 is one of the best receivers ever made by E*. With that said, if you needed another room hooked up, $10 for an older receiver isn't that bad.

**EDIT** BTW, love the Wildstar/Yamato avatar. :)

Last edited:
My first box was a 4000, that was in November, 1997. So those are old boxes. No DD, no OpenTV. But they did have UHF remotes.

2000 was DISH's first box in 1996 less than a year later they introduced the 3000(ir) and 4000 (UHF) both are antiques today but were so well built most are still working.
I would join Webbydude that they would be a downgrade.

The model still provide same quality of video/audio as DP301. So practically there is no downgrade.
If we're speaking about less important features missing by the IRD, then I would agree.
I'd like to get OP intention first. What he expecting from any receivers.

Thank you folks! After reading your replies, I decided that it wouldn't be worth the trouble. I own three 301s, and only using one, so since I wouldn't be getting anything better, I'm just gonna pass.

Thanks again!

Hey guys, I was wondering if I bought on of these Echostar 3000 could I use it to just pick up my local channels? There is one down the street for sale but I am not sure if it will work or not. It has a card in it to.

Will I be able to just hook up an antenna and get the local channels, or does the receiver need to be activated?

Thanks for the help.

You need an HD receiver in order to get OTA. The 3000 is an outdated sd receiver and is probably only worth about $5. If you only want OTA HD, try to find an old Voom receiver which was active at one point or a dvd recorder with an digital tuner built in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)