Should I contact Makers of Pansat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
My receivers doing wierd things again. I seriously think there's a flaw with it and/or some sort of memory problem. Several days back I had a problem that caused the certain Installation Screens to freeze up the receiver. I thought it was due to a flawed channel bin file created with the same receiver... the problem is coming back sort of

After that I reset the thing and rescanned all the satellites, doing much editing on favorite lists, etc., and saving on sd card after each bird's scan, I've gotten to a point where if I have an ok channel list bin that I can load up from the sd card fine... but ANY edits done after that, whether it's blind scanning a new bird, changing a tp, or anything gets me to where a weird place that causes the receiver to freeze up, reboot and make it so that when you go in to installation menu you can see the background picture but no options anywhere, and can't do anything at all. I'm either going to leave everything as is or try doing all of this again... I really don't want to have to do it all again, but was kinda hoping to still have edit capabilities to add random tps for live wildfeeds, etc. as they show up. I'm starting to think I best forget about that and just leave everything as is. Is this a "normal" problem with Pansat 3500sd receivers?

I would start by deleting ALL but one TP. from every satellite. You will not loose any channels and may help.

so even though the tps don't show up in the list

they'll still be tied to the channels? I'll try that this weekend.

yes they will be

also, please don't put 1/2 the response in the title and the rest in the reply...too hard to follow along :)

Also, you might consider the location of the Pansat, it might be over heating. Overheating could cause simular problems. The only current problem I'm having with the Pansat, is it's losing the AC-3 from time to time. I have to cut it off/on with the switch on the back, and it comes back in. It hasn't happened while watching an AC-3 channel, but occasionally when I'm channel surfing on G10 and I pass by the 2 channels that have the AC-3 and it's not working is when I notice this. Most AC-3 channels that I watch are on a sporting events and so far it hasn't cut off during an event, so it's no big deal. I think this issue may be heat related as I have a conjested rack. I have 12 AV devices in the space designed for 6. But, it's no big deal so far. I probably need to get another rack.

Al

Peter Iowa said:
I had only bad luck with pansat.

weird.
I've worked with 4 Pansat units with varying results
Pansat 1500-have had this unit for 2+ years and NO Issues. Absolutelly love it
Pansat 2100-works fine (even after I burned the polorotor out of it) but it has old satellite names and it won't accept a software upgrade :(
Pansat 3500-Really liked the unit and used it for a few months. Couldn't put it on top of my ent. center (where the 1500 was) because the remote didnt like that. Sold it as I didnt have a use for it
Pansat 6000-nice unit with the PVR but there were some bugs with it (the freezing of the picture was the big one). The other was if you went into the antenna menu, it never was on the satellite you were on (so if I was on G10, when I went into the menu it would go to AMC9 or something)...

but I really like the Pansat units :)

Peter Iowa said:
I had only bad luck with pansat.
I have 2 2700a's and like them a lot. I bought the first one because it had many features that I liked, including ac-3. The second one came along when I found myself with a credit at a satellite equipment vendor after my vbox II died and was not able to be repaired. That vendor sells pansats so I decided that a second 2700a was needed in my bedroom. So far both units have worked great, the only problem I had was when a "save" was interupted after a blind scan. A factory reset fixed that and the unit has worked flawlessly since then.

don't know the number of the pansat i bought in 2001; 2500 (?) 2700 (?)
bought it on recommendation from message boards. (person later
said his crashed after 6 months). Seller (large vendor) said later
he knew model was no good. Had to send back 3 times (weird!) as mine crashed
permanently the first day i used it. Finally got money back after returning
Three Times . Weird! - when they say they know it's no good and they sell it to you
anyway, and vendor REFUSED delivery twice.

Deleting out the tps and that helped enormously!

Thanks. Deleting the tps and manually entering new ones helped a lot.

One word of caution, I think (am not sure on this, but think I came across the issue this weekend) that if you do some manual edits on tps, save a channel bin file, get stuck, then reload the bin after editing more tps, the bin will reload all the tps that are tied to channels... and the bin won't save any of the tps or load any of the tps that are not specifically tied to a channel

or at least that's what seemed to happen to me... if that really is what was happening (not gonna verify on my box since all is well at the moment) if you manually load newsfeed/wildfeed tps that don't have channels tied to them right now, but might eventually in a day or two, I think it erases your manually loaded tps in the save file and doesn't store them, so if you have to reload the bin those tps are wiped out. It's not really that big of an issue, unless you are specifically looking for wildfeeds, etc. on tps that are dead for now but will probably light up next time you want to scan them.

I'm slowly finding more and more tps like that, that are dead half of the time and light up once a day or so - interesting newsfeeds stuff is out there. I basically manually loaded all the tps listed on lyngsat for IAs and AMCs, and one or two others. Also, it seems like the stuff listed as "newsfeeds" isn't always just news. I think I saw a wildfeed of My Name is Earl last week on one of these come and go tps.

I had the same problem. Turns out the sat. setting got currpt. It started acting wired after I did a blind scan and left on ding a thunder storm. After using the pansat's editor to look at the bin files. I found that the supsect sat. had a voltage setting at 12v instead 0v.

Status
Please reply by conversation.