Should I get an Iphone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Should I get a company phone (AT&T)?

• Yes, Get a Iphone

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Yes, But don't get an Iphone

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • No, Just keep your Sprint Sero Plan cause the Mogul is the greatest phone ever.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cegarrett

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Shreveport, LA
I still have my Mogul from Sprint and the Sero plan but my area only has 1x data service (no evdo). I've noticed that everyone(IT) with my company is getting Company phones and have had them for a while. I've always kept my own personal phone and plan because I like gadgets and didn't think that the Company would get me the newest gadget that I wanted and pay the Plan. Also I keep telling myself that if it's my phone I don't HAVE TO answer it(but I always do anyway). Now I'm seeing that others in the company are getting Blackberry's and Iphones on the Company contract. While I'm only paying $42 a month for my mogul why shouldn't I just get a Company Phone?

Should I get a company phone (AT&T)?

1) Yes, Get a Iphone
2) Yes, But don't get an Iphone
3) No, Just keep your Sprint Sero Plan cause you don't want to loose it and the Mogul is the greatest phone ever.

I'd go for a Blackberry. If it's from your company, at least those have more features that a power business user could use. Then again, I'm incredibly biased against Apple and especially the iPhone, so my opinion doesn't count for much. Don't forget though you have to deal with AT&T, which has (probably) the worst 3G network and very expensive data plan.

The iPhone data plan is a flat $30 for unlimited use. Not what I'd call "very expensive."

AT&T may well have the largest 3G network by coverage area. But it is not able to handle the volume, especially since the iPhone debuted. So it generally is not the fastest or most available 3G. I believe they are putting a record investment into fixing the problem, though.

I suspect if Verizon had the iPhone exclusively, rather than AT&T, we'd all be complaining about how bad the Verizon 3G system is. The volume of use by iPhone users seems to have surprised everybody.

The Mogul is not the greatest phone ;) The Touch Pro was the replacement, and the Touch Pro 2 replaced the Touch Pro.

Since you don't have 3G where you are at, and the company would pay for it, it would be a no brainer for me to get a Touch Pro 2 when AT&T gets it, or go to Verizon/Alltel if coverage is good in your parts. There's no way I could go back to some locked down type of phone OS that you couldn't customize with all the various GUI's that WinMo has now.

The iPhone is the best smartphone I have ever owned.

I have a number of Palm and Windows Mobile units, but in the end I found that I was trying to make them act like the iPhone.

While the iPhone is a great smartphone the AT&T Network leaves a lot to be desired. So weigh that in your decission.

The iPhone is the best smartphone I have ever owned.

I have a number of Palm and Windows Mobile units, but in the end I found that I was trying to make them act like the iPhone.

While the iPhone is a great smartphone the AT&T Network leaves a lot to be desired. So weigh that in your decission.

I couldn't have put it better. After being very anti-iphone, I decided to give it a try when my contract was up and the 3G came out.

I have also had a few palm and win mobile phones and they dont come anywhere close to the iphone. My wife has the BB Bold, and where it is a good phone for corporate email, i feel that it doesn't come anywhere close when it comes to web browsing ( when at&t network is working or on wifi) and apps that are actually useful

The only problem that I see with getting a corporate phone (Blackberry or iPhone) is that if it is hooked to your corporate email people will start to expect you to answer your emails at all times during the day or night. This is why I went away from one and went with a personal iPhone that I can expense most of the costs. It is not hooked to any of our email systems and I can use it for what ever I want without having to worry about things.

When I set up my iPhone to access my work mail, I felt a fantastic tool come into my hands. I just never realized how useful that feature would be. I could tend to things at night and on vacation. Not to ruin my personal time, but to ensure some good stuff got done in a timely fashion.

Jag72- Its different if its your own business. If you are an employee, then you shouldn't have to work all day for a paycheck, then work all night and weekends for free just to get a good review from your slave driving boss. My wife was forced to get rid of her favorite PDA phone because her company said she had to pay for her own BlackBerry since that was their system. Since the company was bought out by another, they cut out the subsidy and now she has to pay for the BB phone service. I understand now they are switching next year. What you want to bet its will be Windows Exchange Server? They said it won't be BB. So we get screwed again having to buy another phone mid contract! The old company also refused employees with camera phones.

Meanwhile I still get along fine with my XV6800. The iphone lacks too many features for my liking. I've been eyeing the TP2 but the cost turns me off.

If I were in your situation it would be the iphone for personal toy and let the company buy me whatever they want me to talk on during my work hours. I say this because you said you don't have Verizon EVDO speed and I couldn't live without at least 350kbps for sling player, stock market monitoring and misc web surfing, not to mention e-mail monitoring.

Don you are correct on the point if you own your own business. The other part that I hate about them is during meetings there are two many people just sitting there checking their email instead of paying attention to what is going on.

Personally in todays world, I can't believe that any company allows employees to purchase their own phone and then hook it up to corporate resources. My company put an end to that one about 5 years ago. There is just to much risk having corporate information on personal equipment.

the iphone is the most pc like web browsing experience of any smartphone I have ever had.
The apps are amazing and internet radio sounds good even over 3G (when there is enough bandwidth - AT&T). AT&T has greatly improved their 3G in my area. its actually sort of fast now. Only complaint with the iphone is its poor battery life. But I as long as you keep your chargers close by its not an issue. I have a habbit of just plugging it in at my desk or in the car.

I would really love an IPhone but I'm having some trouble justifying the cost. I have 2 phones on my account (the wife and myself) and I'm paying around $100 month for my talk minutes and 200 messages a month per phone. And these are personal phones that are not used for any business. But if I'm reading it correctly, I would have to pay another $30 a month per phone (because of course my wife would want one as well). So is $60 a month worth the price just for a couple of cool "toys"? I mean my hi-speed internet at home is almost half that price. And I think I was told that price does not include messaging. Is that correct? You would think there would be a multi phone discount available on the data plans.

I like the iPhone. Half of my time is in an edge area and it is really fast enough for most uses. My primary use is phone and texting (imagine that!). Checking email I do a lot, but I am not a high volume email person. Looking stuff up is a use I use every now and then. It is great entertainment when traveling, have a bunch of games on it.

So, I guess you could say I am pretty satisfied with the Edge because I do not use the internet much (I work in front of a computer most of the day, no relying on the phone).

a phone is ONLY as good as the rest of the network and services; take it from the 100's of Nike users that have FLED the iPhone just to get away from AT&T

I don't see how you guys do it with those onscreen keyboards... I text quite a bit and I just can't bring myself to go backwards and get a phone without a keyboard. I know lots of people say the onscreen keyboard and correcting thingy is great, but I'm sorry you just can't knock an onscreen keyboard. Imagine if you took the keyboard off your laptop and put it on the screen instead. Same exact feeling I have when I toy around with others phones, including the iphone.

I don't see how you guys do it with those onscreen keyboards... I text quite a bit and I just can't bring myself to go backwards and get a phone without a keyboard. I know lots of people say the onscreen keyboard and correcting thingy is great, but I'm sorry you just can't knock an onscreen keyboard. Imagine if you took the keyboard off your laptop and put it on the screen instead. Same exact feeling I have when I toy around with others phones, including the iphone.

I would agree if you had to send a billion texts a day. If you are only a small texter (5-10 a day) it is not bad. Everything is a compromise. The real strength of the iPhone is that it does most things fairly well. In fact it does so many things so well that it bubbles to the top in all around usefullness, but it does not really win in any category.

I would agree if you had to send a billion texts a day. If you are only a small texter (5-10 a day) it is not bad. Everything is a compromise. The real strength of the iPhone is that it does most things fairly well. In fact it does so many things so well that it bubbles to the top in all around usefullness, but it does not really win in any category.

A friend was driving and handed me the iphone and told me what to text back. I felt like a complete idiot. Kinda like someone stole my mouse and I'm trying to do things via shortcut keys in Windows. Mad props goes out to you on-screen keyboard guys. I can't do it... had hardware keyboards since the first RIM pagers on the Motient network and haven't had a non-hardware keyboard phone since.

I actually got much faster with the on screen keypad display on the XV6800 than the slide out KB. I use the on screen one about 85% of the time.

The on screen keyboard on the iPhone has become much better for texting since you can now rotate the phone and get a larger keyboard. When you only had the one option I would have to agree that the keyboard was not the easiest to use.

I also have to agree with Mike as there are always compromises with choosing a phone. I don't understand how Blackberry users can use the keypad that is tucked in with the rest of the keyboard. When I had my Blackberry, I hated the idea of having to dial the phone manually. I couldn't just get the hang of such a small keypad and I was always hitting the non numbered keys when trying to dial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)