Should I go with a Switch or Quad LNB?

ocaddict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Atlanta
My current setup is a Dish 508 in the living room and a Dish 301 in the bedroom. I'm looking to put a 721 in the living room and and put the 508 in the bedroom and ditch the 301. Would I be better off going with a switch (to utilize 2 tuner capability of the 721 and 1 for the 508) or just getting a Quad LNB and running 3 lines out, 2 to the 721 and 1 to the 508? Also, anyone know which switch I would need for this setup? Any help is appreciated. FYI, the Quad LNB's are going for like 35 ro 40$ on ebay.

I personally would use a quad.

Unless you have more than 2 satellites you need to look at (do you have a dish at 148 or 61.5?)

Nope, just the standard 2 Sats. Yeah, I'm leaning towards the easy route with a Quad LNB, but wanted to run it by you experts before I took the dive.

Im getting tired of my tivo missing recordings on the 311 because it accidentally hits a number at the wrong time and it ends up on one of those chan up/down issues. So I want to get a 721 and run the extra feed. I have a quad and all 4 lnes are in use now. So Ill need 1 more line. what switch should i use that has the right inputs/outputs (sorry switches arnt my strong suit)

ShadowEKU said:
Im getting tired of my tivo missing recordings on the 311 because it accidentally hits a number at the wrong time and it ends up on one of those chan up/down issues. So I want to get a 721 and run the extra feed. I have a quad and all 4 lnes are in use now. So Ill need 1 more line. what switch should i use that has the right inputs/outputs (sorry switches arnt my strong suit)

you would need a DP34....allows up to 3 satellite inputs and 4 outputs

you would run 2 lines from the quad to the DP34 switch, and you would have 6 outputs total (2 on the quad, 4 on the switch)

Iceberg said:
you would need a DP34....allows up to 3 satellite inputs and 4 outputs

you would run 2 lines from the quad to the DP34 switch, and you would have 6 outputs total (2 on the quad, 4 on the switch)

thats what I figured.... thanks Ice

ShadowEKU: Iceberg's solution assumes you already have a DishPro Quad. :)

A Legacy Quad would require a SW64, which would NOT buy you anything.

ocaddict,

Are you are getting Atlanta Locals? According to the EKB Channel list, there are some channels at 61.5.
You may qualify for a free dish install, to get those locals. If so you can pick up all the switches, cable, etc. for free.

Just a thought.
Larry

I get all Atlanta locals except for 2. I suppose I could pester dish for the other ones but I don't think I'm gonna sweat it. And I think I may actually go with a SW34 instead of a Quad LNB. I'm high bidder for a used one on ebay right now at 16$ that ends in about 20 minutes. Can't hardly beat that! :D

Yeah - it's not that important - except when talking about DP21 vs. SW21.

Then it becomes absolutely critical. Good habits need to be maintained.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts