Should I pay for Pole mount?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamaicablack

Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Southern California
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and I have a few questions on a DirecTV install. I just moved into my new home (from a rental) and called DirecTv to get the movers advantage. My Homeis new and already has all cables runs completed at the time of building. All cables are run to a structured panel located in a closet and there is a regular DTV dish on the side eves of the house with 2 wires entering the house from the dish. I am trying to get 3 regular reveivers, 1 HD receiver and one HD DVR. The Satellite guy came by and informed me that because the new Dish is about 50lbs or so, they would not be able to mount it in the same spot since the eves would not support the weight. He then informed me that the only way to make the install work would be to do a pole mount and dig a trench through the concrete walkway on the side of the house to run the wires through the same hole as the old dish into the house.
He told me he could do it on his day off and he would charge me $400 cash to do the work. Am I supposed to be charged for this since it is not my fault the dish is too heavy? To close, the install was not done and was rescheduled for a few weeks out. Just want to know if this is fair and should I mcall him to do the work. Thanks.

I would not pay him $400 to do the work. I would call and have Directv send another person out to survey for a good location. He is most likely going to pocket the $400 himself for doing the work on his day off.

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and I have a few questions on a DirecTV install. I just moved into my new home (from a rental) and called DirecTv to get the movers advantage. My Homeis new and already has all cables runs completed at the time of building. All cables are run to a structured panel located in a closet and there is a regular DTV dish on the side eves of the house with 2 wires entering the house from the dish. I am trying to get 3 regular reveivers, 1 HD receiver and one HD DVR. The Satellite guy came by and informed me that because the new Dish is about 50lbs or so, they would not be able to mount it in the same spot since the eves would not support the weight. He then informed me that the only way to make the install work would be to do a pole mount and dig a trench through the concrete walkway on the side of the house to run the wires through the same hole as the old dish into the house.
He told me he could do it on his day off and he would charge me $400 cash to do the work. Am I supposed to be charged for this since it is not my fault the dish is too heavy? To close, the install was not done and was rescheduled for a few weeks out. Just want to know if this is fair and should I mcall him to do the work. Thanks.

$400 to install? 50LBS for the Slimline? LOL
That installer is trying to rip ya clean man. Don't pay $400.00 for a job like that.

I have 3 words PICK a DIFFERENT INSTALLER!!!!

1. The dish is not any where near 50 pounds about 25 to 30

2. It would not cost ANYWHERE near $400 for a pole install, my installer charges $95
the guy is trying to make a quick dollar off you.

If you want to do it yourself, you can buy the dish for about $100 shipped off ebay, and a pole for about 20 from a hardware store.

IIRC the dish should be part of the movers package.

i recently got it hooked up as well, but my guy only charged 75 for a pole mount, with the single mutli switch for 3 dvrs, 400 is way too much buddy :(

Last edited:
$400 may be unreasonable, but considering that the OP described it as having to go underneath a concrete walkway, I could see where it would cost more than a standard pole install. However, the installer offering to do it on his day off trips all types of alarms for me, and I would ask for a different installer to come out.

$400 may be unreasonable, but considering that the OP described it as having to go underneath a concrete walkway, I could see where it would cost more than a standard pole install. However, the installer offering to do it on his day off trips all types of alarms for me, and I would ask for a different installer to come out.

This is what I was thinking.

This guy might just be offering to do it on his day off because it is going to take a lot longer. You said something about "trenching" thru concrete. Is he going to bust out and replace concrete? If so $400 to do that and a pole mount seems reasonable.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it a lot. my wife and I were actually going to pay him for the job too. He actually showed me where it would be installed and the direction as well. Would it be best to place the pole in myself and then call DTV to install it or get another Tech to come out and survey it first? Also he said the area on the side of the house would not hold the weight of the dish..could that be possible?

Mechanical,
There is a concrete walkway about 2 feet wide between the pole location and the side of the house so he informed me that he had to cut a path through it, lay the cable and cover it back up.

Mechanical,
There is a concrete walkway about 2 feet wide between the pole location and the side of the house so he informed me that he had to cut a path through it, lay the cable and cover it back up.

If it's only two feet wide, there's no need to cut a path through it. While difficult, it is possible to trench underneath the concrete without cutting it. But like Mechanical said, it is going to take a lot longer.

If the installer showed you where the pole was going to be mounted, and where the cable was going to be run, there is no reason you couldn't do it yourself. Just make sure you use a 1" conduit when going under the sidewalk to allow for four cables.

I really appreciate all this good information I have been receiving from you guys. thanks a lot. exactly what size pole would I need, and how deep does it need to be buried to accommodate the dish?

It's 2" outside diameter, and good luck finding it as it is not a standard size you will find Lowes or Home Depot.

It should be atleast 3' in the ground with 60 lbs of concrete holding it. Also make sure that you attach something to the pole so it does not spin in the concrete.

regulation is 150lbs of concrete, i never use that much, but my hsp says its 'required' and yea, 400$ is not a bad price for the work he quoted you, and his day off, yea... its gonna be a long install, thats reasonable too, most of us work 6day work weeks, so to make that a 7, i think i would want 400$ too lol.

they would not be able to mount it in the same spot since the eves would not support the weight.

About 3 months ago, I had a new slimline antenna attached to the eves on my home. We've had some good winds since and the antenna hasn't moved so far.

Unless you want a pole mount, I think you should get anther opinion from another installer.

When you say new home, I assume you mean new. Regardless, my eves are over 30 years old and still able to do the job.

If you deduct the cost to you for a new dish,pole concrete and hardware , it would be close to $200.

So is it worth $200 to have him do the install and adjust the dish for maximum signal strength.

Most HSP Techs will also tell you that they can't run the lines under a sidewalk. Most (if not all) HSP Field Supervisors will tell you that you need to have the conduit put under the sidewalk by someone else, and they will come back and do the rest of the work. If you found a guy that is going to do the whole job (on his day off, or not), pay him and get it over with. FYI, I have seen dishes rip off of fascia and take part of the house with it. I would never mount a dish there even if the customer insisted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)