Should I sign up for Dish now or wait till February?

DJ_Mo

Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Mississippi
I want to sign up for DISH Network, and I tried to sign up today and the rep told me that the "Cinemax for 1 year for 1 penny" promotion is over (even though it is advertised on the main dish website?). Which made me wonder, if there are better promos later on?

Also I see a couple posts on this forums stating Dish is increasing there fees by $20 or $30 depending if you had a HD DVR?

I want to sign up for Bronze 100 with HD with DVR on my main HDTV and no DVR on my second SDTV.

So my questions are:

1) Do I wait to sign up for Dish later on or sign up now?

2) Should I sign up with the main dish website or go through a retailer (for better deals, if it is better through a retailer which one should I use)

3) Will I be immune to the supposed soon rate hikes as a new customer?

Any advice is truly appreciated.

I want to sign up for DISH Network, and I tried to sign up today and the rep told me that the "Cinemax for 1 year for 1 penny" promotion is over (even though it is advertised on the main dish website?). Which made me wonder, if there are better promos later on?

Also I see a couple posts on this forums stating Dish is increasing there fees by $20 or $30 depending if you had a HD DVR?

I want to sign up for Bronze 100 with HD with DVR on my main HDTV and no DVR on my second SDTV.

So my questions are:

2) Should I sign up with the main dish website or go through a retailer (for better deals, if it is better through a retailer which one should I use)

Good questions.
First off I would wait maybe a week before making up your mind. We will know the new promo by then. Hopefully we'll hear from Scott at CES about the new promo and then you can do a comparison to see which one is better.

As for the rate hikes going up $20-$30, this is incorrect. There will be an increase but maybe only $3-$4. Even if you sign up now you will still see the increase. No one will be grandfathered in.

Next, I would go through a local retailer. They will not be able to give you a better offer regarding hardware or programming (this is because Dish and retailers all have to offer the same promo), but, in most cases, a local retailer will offer better customer service because they need your business to stay alive. Also most local retailers use techs that have been in the business a while and know their stuff. Dish techs are underpaid and overworked so the service, in some cases, tends to not be as good.

Just my $.02

So my questions are:

Currently none of the Dish deals for new customers insulates against rate hikes or any other changes. I'd wait. I don't know whether or not they'll have any grand deals for newbies come February. A year or two ago there were good deals for newbies. Lately the deals have been only so so. Also one of the sponsors of this site, The Dish Store (see the top of the page), often offers better deals with a rebate than E* itself.

Talk to Claude

We just signed up for Dish and used Dishstore.net. PM Claude or call their number. They have a great deal for Satelliteguys members. We were also able to get the Cinemax for a penny deal.
However make the call to Claude you won't be disappointed.

We just signed up for Dish and used Dishstore.net. PM Claude or call their number. They have a great deal for Satelliteguys members. We were also able to get the Cinemax for a penny deal.
However make the call to Claude you won't be disappointed.

Agreed. You will get the best deal you can get.

As for the rate hikes going up $20-$30, this is incorrect. There will be an increase but maybe only $3-$4. Even if you sign up now you will still see the increase. No one will be grandfathered in.

How do you figure that? All DVR and Dou's receiver leases fee's are increasing by $10 each. Or are you assuming no one has more than 1 DVR or everyone has single turner receivers?

The only people who will see a modest increase of $3-4 are people with 1 DVR and 1 single tuner set up.

Personally when I was installed 16 months ago I paid $100 to upgrade from 211 to 222 because I wanted pip so I could watch 2 channels at the same time durning basketball or football season. I called up dish network yesterday because of these new increases on the equipment lease fee to downgrade from a 222 to 211 and I was told first off that would cost me $100 and would require me to renew my contract for an extra 2 years which is a joke. I would never agree to a new contract with these jokers again, at least when I was with Direct Tv if you were under contract they would not raise your price till you were off contract or made changes to your account. So if you signed up and agreed to pay $x a month that is what you paid till your contract was over and you were able to cancel if u did not agree with increases. Dish on the other hand does not do that, they fell they should be able to raise your fee as much as they want if you don't like it pay the cancelation fee.

I was mad over the $100 downgrade fee and requirement of a new 2 year contract that I called executive CSR number and was basically told the same thing. My options are pay the new equipment lease fee, remove the 222 from my account, re-new my contract for 2 more years and pay $100 to downgrade my receiver or pay $105 to break my contract. I referred 5 friends over the last 6 months to dish so I am getting $25 credit a month for another 6-9 months still so I plan on downgrading my service to min amount and basically keeping 1 receiver and switching to U-Verse or TWC who both offer bundles in my area for $99 which include HSI and 1 DVR and STB with ATT and 2 DVR with TWC. Then in 7 months I plan on canceling my Dish service and telling Dish I refuse to climb on my roof as I am elder gentleman to get their lnb's even tho I think I could do it so if they want them to please send someone to get them just so it costs them money.

Everything Dolmar just said made me laugh. You can't just swap equipment back and forth for no charge. Also when you sign your contract it does not say anything about having your price locked in. In fact Dish reserves the right to change programming at any time. I beleive all TV providers are that way. Just figure out the set-up you want, pay the upgrade fee and sign the contract and you should be happy. If you don't want to do it that way purchase everything yourself.

Thats showing dish, OLD PEOPLE do not climb roofs. Then act cool by saying you can climb roofs.

I dont plan on telling them I could climb on the roof, what I was trying to explain is, in all honest I have no problem getting on the roof at all, I am 61 and in good shape, I installed my own over the air antenna but I don't plan on telling Dish I can do it, going to stick with I am an elder gentleman I can not climb on the roof, so if you want your LNB please let me know when you are sending someone to get them.

Welcome to the forum

I want to sign up for DISH Network, and I tried to sign up today and the rep told me that the "Cinemax for 1 year for 1 penny" promotion is over (even though it is advertised on the main dish website?).
Just here to welcome you :welcome The max for a penny ended last month so website probably just hasn't been updated to reflect this yet. I ould wat to fine out what the new promo will be by the end of the week. Then if you are one thaat wants to be able to send the video to other rooms via a slingbox you should wait till the new 922 comes out. If you are primarily looking for one room then the 722k with and OTA module will be the way to go. They are good units & what I have right now.

Everything Dolmar just said made me laugh. You can't just swap equipment back and forth for no charge. Also when you sign your contract it does not say anything about having your price locked in. In fact Dish reserves the right to change programming at any time. I beleive all TV providers are that way. Just figure out the set-up you want, pay the upgrade fee and sign the contract and you should be happy. If you don't want to do it that way purchase everything yourself.

I think you are missing the point here, I was with Direct TV for 4 years before switching to Dish, I only switched to Dish cause when I finally got around to wanting a DVR, Direct TV wanted me to pay $300 to upgrade my old non HD equipment to an HD DVR, So I choose to switch to Dish Network cause they offered me a free HD DVR 722 and only charge $100 for 2nd 222. Plus my monthly bill was going down by almost $20 per month. I figured it was a good deal. But while I was with Direct TV they never raised my price till my original contract was over and that is Direct TV official policy as long as your are under contract and make no changes to your account your price will not change. I never said they dont have a right to change programing, Sure they but if you are total choice package and signed a contract to pay $49.99 + month + $5 for locals, +5 equipment fee those prices will not change durning your contract term. You will get whatever channels total choice includes, if they add new channels you get them, if they drop channels you loose but your price will not change at all.

That is like you signing up with ATT for wireless on 500 min plan for $39.99 and agreeing to a 2 year contract then after 1st year ATT says we are going to change your price from $39.99 to 69.99 and if you dont like the new increase pay the ETF. People would go apeshit and what dish network does is no difference at all. You dont have agree with me either.

My grip with dish is not over a $2-3 increase it is over the fact they charge you an upfront fee to lease the boxes then can more than double the lease fee. If you don't like the new lease fee, then you have pay to change receivers and then could double the lease fee on your new receiver again next year for all you know. Like I said at least with Cellphone companies, DSL and Direct TV if you sign up for X package your price will be Y durning your contract term. After your contract expires your rate will goto current rate and if you dont like the current rate then you can cancel with no ETF as your contract is over.

Dish on the other hand raises your price any time they fell like, if you dont like it, they pretty much tell you pay the ETF as you are under contract and we can do whatever we want per our contract. I am not disputing that their contract allows them, just stating they are most consumer unfriendly company around. I personally choose not to do business and I personally think others should be given fair warning about it.

1 more thing to think about here, You lease a car, you pay X amount upfront and agree to pay $100 a month for 3 years but after 2 years car companies tells you we want $150 a month from you now to continue to lease your car if you dont like it then you have pay us an early termination fee. I bet you would go ape sh*t so how is what Dish is doing any difference?

Last edited:
dolmar, what is your price going to change to if you don't mind me asking? I'm not exactly sure what all the price changes will be yet. Friday Dish is having a retailer chat and I will know a lot more after that. I do agree with some of the things you are saying, I don't want to start a disagreement at all. Being a retailer I here people complaining a lot about paying upgrade fees. But you need to look at both sides. Dish can't let people just swap equipment back and forth whenever they want for no fee. I'm not sure there is a fool proof way of running things to tell you the truth.

My personal bill is going to increase $12 per month. I know $12 is not a lot of money but it is the principle that they are increasing the lease fee. If you lease anything be it a equipment for your business or home or a car you normal pay an upfront fee and then you agree to a set monthly fee for set amount of months in this case 24 month contract you agree to stay with Dish. Normally that lease fee will not charge durning your lease term and at the end of your lease you have a choice to return whatever you lease or continue to keep it for whatever price the company chooses. Sometimes the price will remain the same other times they might raise it or lower it but while you are on contract the price of the monthly lease will not change.

I fell this increase is solely an equipment lease increase based on the fact if I had a 211 vs 222 my bill would increase basically $2 a month but because I choose to pay for upgraded box upfront now I am being forced to pay a higher lease fee to continue to use it. That is just plain wrong sorry. If Dish would say we are going to let all people under contract to continue to pay current lease fee on their boxes till their contract was over and at that point we are raising their lease fee to current new customer price that would be another story. As at that point in time I would have to choice to cancel service with no ETF or agree to the new lease fee or pay to switch my equipment.

The problem is the way Dish is implanting this new lease fee's is just plain wrong. And fact if you don't like the new lease fee dish is requiring you to agree to new 2 year and pay $100 in a effect to downgrade to what would have been a free receiver is just plan wrong. I hope you can see my point of view about it.

I think you are missing the point here, I was with Direct TV for 4 years before switching to Dish, I only switched to Dish cause when I finally got around to wanting a DVR, Direct TV wanted me to pay $300 to upgrade my old non HD equipment to an HD DVR, So I choose to switch to Dish Network cause they offered me a free HD DVR 722 and only charge $100 for 2nd 222. Plus my monthly bill was going down by almost $20 per month. I figured it was a good deal. But while I was with Direct TV they never raised my price till my original contract was over and that is Direct TV official policy as long as your are under contract and make no changes to your account your price will not change. I never said they dont have a right to change programing, Sure they but if you are total choice package and signed a contract to pay $49.99 + month + $5 for locals, +5 equipment fee those prices will not change durning your contract term. You will get whatever channels total choice includes, if they add new channels you get them, if they drop channels you loose but your price will not change at all.

That is like you signing up with ATT for wireless on 500 min plan for $39.99 and agreeing to a 2 year contract then after 1st year ATT says we are going to change your price from $39.99 to 69.99 and if you dont like the new increase pay the ETF. People would go apeshit and what dish network does is no difference at all. You dont have agree with me either.

My grip with dish is not over a $2-3 increase it is over the fact they charge you an upfront fee to lease the boxes then can more than double the lease fee. If you don't like the new lease fee, then you have pay to change receivers and then could double the lease fee on your new receiver again next year for all you know. Like I said at least with Cellphone companies, DSL and Direct TV if you sign up for X package your price will be Y durning your contract term. After your contract expires your rate will goto current rate and if you dont like the current rate then you can cancel with no ETF as your contract is over.

Dish on the other hand raises your price any time they fell like, if you dont like it, they pretty much tell you pay the ETF as you are under contract and we can do whatever we want per our contract. I am not disputing that their contract allows them, just stating they are most consumer unfriendly company around. I personally choose not to do business and I personally think others should be given fair warning about it.

1 more thing to think about here, You lease a car, you pay X amount upfront and agree to pay $100 a month for 3 years but after 2 years car companies tells you we want $150 a month from you now to continue to lease your car if you dont like it then you have pay us an early termination fee. I bet you would go ape sh*t so how is what Dish is doing any difference?

You could always contact your state AG, there might be laws in your state that deal with this. I agree, if you signup for a 2 year contract the price should stay the same.

You could always contact your state AG, there might be laws in your state that deal with this. I agree, if you signup for a 2 year contract the price should stay the same.

My complaint is not about a small monthly rate increase to plans, if the only thing Dish was doing was unbundling DVR advantage package, and raising the price of locals I would not have gotten this mad honestly as my increase would have been $1.98 only. Btw I did call my local AG, faxed a copy of the contract I signed to them and they are going to look into it they told me. The gal who I spoke to agree by reading the contract and based on the fact Dish uses the language Equipment Lease, Monthly Lease fee that I am correct and in fact the equipment is leased and not rented and if the equipment is in fact leased and you have a contract that durning the contract terms the equipment lease fee can not be changed at all. She said she is going to forward it to legal department to see if in fact the equipment is a legal binding lease agreement and if Dish is trying to circumvent a lease agreement by claiming to be rolling other fee's into that so called lease fee which really have nothing to do with equipment lease itselfs.

My complaint is about the equipment lease fee. Does not matter what you lease all lease work the same way, I have leased cars, forklifts, computers, manufacturing equipment over the last 30 years as I was in manufacturing business. You always have to pay an upfront fee plus a reoccurring monthly fee for pre set term, and at the end of the term you have a choice to return the item, buy the item or agree to either a monthly price going forward or enter into a new contract so I fully understand and accept Dish/Direct TV policy about leasing equipment. My grip with Dish is based on the fact they have you enter into a contract for 24 months, lease you equipment which they collect an upfront fee for, then fell they can increase the monthly reoccurring fee at any time they want which while their contract may allow for it is not very consumer friendly, then because your monthly reoccurring lease charge increases by 242% you want to downgrade to what would have been a receiver that did not require any upfront money and did not increase at all, Dish somehow thinks a rational normal person will agree to extend their current contract by 2 years and pay another $100. Just so if Dish fells like it next year they can increase your new box lease fee and put you back in the same position.

Like I said if any other company who leased any type of equipment try to pull a stunt like this everyone would be yelling bloody murder and be complaining about it like crazy but because this is about TV and most consumers are either too lazy or just dont understand how leases work in general they think it is ok and even defend Dish actions. That is what I personally don't understand.

If I was someone like Scott I would be even more mad, considering I bought my equipment and the company decides to charge me prices that are even higher than what local cable companies charge for renting their equipment just for the privilege of having their service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)