Should I switch to 61.5?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Zaxcom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I just had dish installed. The installer used a 1000+. My signal levels on 129 are very low. Should I make dish come back out and add a second dish to look at 61.5 instead? Would I lose anything that 129 supplies?

I have the AT250 pkg with HD. I get the Charlotte, NC locals.

VIP722

Wonder why E* is setting up east coast folks to look at a west coast bird. Seems like they put 61.5 up there for the east coast people, yet they dont set them up to see it.

Another newbie (at the technical side of things) here... been seeing the 129 vs 61.5 discussions more and more, and been thinking about the switch myself... I'm near Raleigh NC and can get a Dish 500+LNB on the cheap (which I think is what I need for 61.5).. I have a 1000.2 (and only 1 622 HD DVR), which can apparently accept the wing dish (based on the other postings)...

2 questions (and I may not know enough to know I need more than that :) )

a) My 1000.2 is roof mounted in a location I can easily access... does the 1000.2 mount have an attachment point for the wing dish, or is that another hole thru the roof?

b) Is this something I can aim myself with a reasonable chance of success?

Thanks,
Mike

I had an installer add the dish 500 next to the Dish 1000. 61.5 points far enough left of the dish 500 that you would need a new mount IMO. The local installer here in Brunswick NC, near the coast only charged me $100, including the equipment. Spend the money, its worth it. Also, it looks like Dish is moving their Raleigh HD locals to 61.5...perhaps Dish will pay for it.

I have been fighting Dish to come and upgrade me to HD (VERY long story of their mess ups, but that is n't what I am here about). Well, they finally came on Monday, and swapped my 322 for the 722 (to go with the 522 we already have). I get pretty good signal on 110 and 119, but they never even checked the signal strength on 129. The installer said "If we get good signal on 119, you should be good for 129." They had to relocate my dish (went from a 500 to a 1000.2 dish). The 722 had to download my programming, which took a little while, and I headed off to work. Well, I got home, and no HD. I checked the signal strength of 129, and it was mostly at ZERO with some flickers up to about 8 or 9. Terrible! I called, and they are coming out today to "fix the problem."

Someone told me (after the fact) that I should have just had them add a second dish and point it to 61.5 since there is TONS of open sky that direction. I know that this is VERY late in the game, but should I push them to point a dish at 61.5? Is 129 really dying? Thanks!

Side note. I in in Des Moines, Iowa if that makes a difference in sat reception, and we don't have local HD channels via dish (I am using an OTA antenna for that)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)