Should I switch to Dish? New to satellite....

Snowcone

Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
San Antonio, TX
Being a very large satellite forum I imagine you get bombared with a slew of "newbie" questions at a pretty regular interval. If there is an FAQ somewhere that I missed, just let me know and I will start reading that first.

I have been a cable subscriber forever and about a 2 years ago a friend of mine switched to Dish Network and sang praises about the picture quality and customer service. I still lived at home so I ignored him. I have since gotten my own place and I am currently using the Time Warner Digipic Road Runner package that is $104/month and I am looking to switch to something else as the picture is just not cutting it and TW feels that rate increases are an acceptable monthly occurance.

I am gung ho about switching to Dish, but I spent the morning reading on the forums at AVS and DBSTalk and all I heard were people complaining about various things ranging from fees to terrible service. I know that people that have something wrong often speak the loudest so I will take that into account, but do I have reason to be concerned if I switch to Dish?

My 2nd concern is about how bad weather affects reception. Some direction would be much appreciated.

Well, I complained also. But it was concerning the handling of the offer. Being a new subscriber, you shouldn't have that trouble.

As far as Dish goes, I have been a subscriber for over two years now and I am very satisfied. If you're paying $104, you'll save a bundle depending on what you subscribe to. You should be able to get the free equipment offer but I think they are doing away with that pretty soon. Might be better to rent.

Not sure if you want HD or not. If not, D* or E* are about the same. If you do, I can't speak for D*'s HD package. (They wanted $400 for the HD receiver when I inquired) My experiance with E*'s HD is the HD package isn't grate but I anticipate they'll add more in the near future. The OTA stuff is good if your market is transmitting it and you are able to get it.

Our cable supplier here is Comcast. They are expensive and the service is poor. They lose the cable signal quite often and some channels are horrible. Plus, they are forcing new subscribers to go digital. Going to Dish was a no brainer for me anyway.

That $104 includes my Road Runner service, but even if I come out even and Dish has better picture then I will be a happy camper. I don't have an HDTV yet so its not an issue. If the free equipment is about to end, then I might outta jump on that deal this week. How is your reception when its raining or cloudy?

In the two years+ I've had it, I've only lost signal a couple of times and only for a couple minutes during a real hard rain. But, I live in the desert and rain is a luxury!

If your dish is pointed correctly, you shouldn't have much trouble.

I highly recommend Dish. I've had it for 4 years now and it's been great. I've only had a couple of times when I lost a signal because of rain fade.

Dennis

So all the people screaming "your dish will stop working in the light rain and you will miss the big game" are just skeptics and shouldn't be trusted. I think its time to make a Dish customer out of me.

So tell me, "free professional installation" will get me what and how much will a typical install cost me?

Living in Northern Wisconsin, i have lost picture on Dish when it rains heavy or snows hard. The down side to Dish is this: When it does go out, i can't watch any PVR shows I have recorded, go figure!

With DTV, you can, also the pixel problem is more intance on Dish when it starts to go, as I have had both services in the same house, I know this for a fact.

I guess it depends then on where you live for your 2nd concern.

As for other things, I can't say much, other then stil waiting for my "locals" :)

Not sure, but usually you pay the cost up front. Once installed, they will credit your bill something like 50$ a month until the stuff is paid off. Talk to Dish or a retailer and they'll give you the details. Just don't be surprised if you do actually have to pay something up front.

As long as the dish is pointed correctly, you will have little trouble.

Allamand said:
Living in Northern Wisconsin, i have lost picture on Dish when it rains heavy or snows hard. The down side to Dish is this: When it does go out, i can't watch any PVR shows I have recorded, go figure!

As for other things, I can't say much, other then stil waiting for my "locals" :)

We can get locals here which is nice. Is this inability to watch PVR shows during an outage a typical problem for all users or is it an isolated incident....that would really put a damper on the use of a PVR.

What PQ is bad on TW, analog, digital or both? I recently converted from E* to Comcast. The digital channels are equal (both over compressed), the analog's are worst then E*, the HD channels are equal, both look good.

On my PVR I can still watch the programs when the signal goes out due to rainfade.

Also you can get a free 2 or 3 receiver satellite system (even with a DVR or 811) if you have a credit card. You can also get a promotion without a credit card by paying $200 upfront for the 2 receiver satellite system and you get $10 off your programming bill for 20 months. If you need a SuperDish for locals in your area you also get that free as a new subscriber when you sign a one year contract to AT50/60 and locals.

Stargazer said:
On my PVR I can still watch the programs when the signal goes out due to rainfade.

Also you can get a free 2 or 3 receiver satellite system (even with a DVR or 811) if you have a credit card.

That is what I would be signing up with is the 3 room system w/ DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)